Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Oct 24, 2022 at 2:58 Quote
commental wrote:
If you haven't done it before, spray the frame with soapy water before laying the protection (baby shampoo works well) as it allows you to move the wrap into position before squeegeeing the water out. Also a hair dryer will help soften the wrap to help it to conform to the shape of the frame.

Good tip actually, was about to do it exactly like that. I have been supervising a workshop where the employees sticked custom roof and bonet wraps years ago. Good spray with isopropylalcohol to degrease and soapy water to move the wraps into jigs properly. Still have some squeegees in basement haha Big Grin

Posted: Oct 24, 2022 at 8:40 Quote
so guys, here is the feedback on dyi complete wrapping of bike.
If someone ask me what was the dumbest idea to save money in my life, I will say DYI complete wrap of bike and procrastinating on injury insurance bcs I ride "safe" Big Grin

Main prob is, that you cant really lay the wrap on soapy water, as the wrap is not micro-perforated so the water cant really run away, then the layer that protects the glue is imposible to split in half so you cant really fix the wrap in position you like and then just peel it of and comfortly apply the wrap. Patrol 2019-2020 has so many rounded corners and matte color, so it doesnt hold on water and you just cant work on those rounds. I ended up on sticking it on frame directly without use of soapy water and then it holds well, but in trade of not having it as precise as I would wish.
So the outcome? I moved my level of max frustration far behind where it was before this experience and I invented some new really bad words. At the end I applied protection only on places, that I found vulnerable and not protected by DYEDBRO set that will come tomorrow. Never ever gonna do this again, deffinetelly not recomended to anyone that has such stupid idea like I had. If someone tells you it's a good idea, then RUN AWAY!

Posted: Oct 24, 2022 at 9:13 Quote
I’ve done bits and bobs on my last 2 bikes (both gloss / metallic) and my mate’s Santa Cruz (also gloss).

It’s fiddly cutting it to fit yourself and then needs patience to get a good result. I’m not expecting perfection - but so it looks decent at least.

I’ve used 3M tape branded / sold by gusset tek - it’s fairly thick stuff.

I sprayed water on my frame and on the back of the tape before applying as accurately as I can and shifting it into place. It’s then painstaking trying to get as many bubbles out and getting it to go round curves. I’ve found a gentle heat with a hair drier can help.

I don’t try to get the coverage that invisiframe get - just cover the most likely wear places.

Posted: Oct 26, 2022 at 6:17 Quote
I used Invisiframe on my Patrol, took me 2 days ( it was my first try at wrapping a bike. When I got my Sentinel I went with RideWrap ( way faster shipping to Portugal than Invisframe ) , got all done in about 4 hours !
You will be good with either one ( worth every cent ), but RideWrap is more user friendly IMHO .

raidenCZE wrote:
commental wrote:
veero wrote:

Sure the tailored wraps are expensive but IMO worth it. I've done DIY 3M tape before and it can be a pain to go round curvy multi angle contoured areas, plus I found the edges attracted dirt and didn't look great very quickly. I went Ridewrap on my Carbon Scout and love the result, really well thought out kit and it took a few hours over a couple of evenings but being methodical and following the instructions it went on really well and I wouldn't hesitate to go with them again for the next bike.

It's a bit like security, people bitch about buying a £100 lock to secure a £7k bike in the garage, the Ridewrap kit is on the same kind of wavelength. Just get the tailored option and it'll blend right in and look the nuts.

That's been my experience too.
Well, I will enjoy some evenings I guess as I have orderes a sheet of wrap allready Big Grin

Posted: Oct 26, 2022 at 7:54 Quote
I've done both DIY frame wrap jobs as well as invisiframe and ridewrap.

DIY with 3m tape is ok if you're just wrapping a problem area like a chainstay or something. But a whole bike is a bad idea. It'll take forever and will look like shit.

No question, ridewrap is the best option. They provide the soap concentrate to dilute, squeegee, and excellent coloured instructions.

I've done like 8 frames now and I can bang one out in about two hours. The first time budget 4-8 hours if you have never done it before. Totally worth your time though. Tape is still holding on my '19 smuggler (which is for sale by the way).

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
sourmix wrote:
Looking for Scout owners who have ridden it stock for a while then swapped over to the 150mm shock option.
How did it change the ride feel and handling, what was most obvious upsides/downsides?
TIA!
*BUMP*
Still curious - anyone out there?

Posted: Oct 31, 2022 at 6:46 Quote
I have a 2018 patrol and i want to make it more playful. Right now it feels really good for tech but on flow and jumps it feels sluggish. Any suggestions?

Posted: Oct 31, 2022 at 9:19 Quote
Flowchaser wrote:
I have a 2018 patrol and i want to make it more playful. Right now it feels really good for tech but on flow and jumps it feels sluggish. Any suggestions?

You haven't really said much about your setup? Is it coil rear shock or air, what type of tyres, etc.

Generally if you go for slightly lighter tyres (mid casing rather than DH casing) and a faster rolling rear tyre, also can try reducing sag and speeding up rebound a bit. If you say what the set up is maybe we will be able to point out something more specific?

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2022 at 9:44 Quote
sourmix wrote:
sourmix wrote:
Looking for Scout owners who have ridden it stock for a while then swapped over to the 150mm shock option.
How did it change the ride feel and handling, what was most obvious upsides/downsides?
TIA!
*BUMP*

My friend did this with his Scout, he also bumped the fork to 160mm. He said it only made it better and there was no drawbacks. All it requires for the shock is removing a travel spacer which is super easy if you have a Fox shock. The geo of the bike will stay the same but the shock will compress the extra 2.5mm which you should only feel on big hits, thus making ride feel and handling pretty much the same.

Posted: Nov 1, 2022 at 5:30 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
Flowchaser wrote:

You haven't really said much about your setup? Is it coil rear shock or air, what type of tyres, etc.

Generally if you go for slightly lighter tyres (mid casing rather than DH casing) and a faster rolling rear tyre, also can try reducing sag and speeding up rebound a bit. If you say what the set up is maybe we will be able to point out something more specific?

I have a coil shock (dhx2) and minion dhr front and rear. it is an alloy frame too. I tend to explode tires so I do have the heaviest casing which is probably weighing me down a bit.

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2022 at 5:35 Quote
sourmix wrote:
sourmix wrote:
TIA!
*BUMP*

Yeah rode my Scout fora few months on 150/140. Loved it but coming from a 19 Patrol it did feel a bit undertravelled in the back. Thought I'd see what the coil shock hype was about and went for a longer stroke Super Deluxe coil and whacked a 160mm air shaft in the Lyrics. Absolutely love it, feels like the 16 Patrol that got me onto TR again all those years ago, but with the SBG geo. I kept the original air shock for a while in case I wanted to go back but never did and sold it on, zero regrets.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 10:50 Quote
Hey everyone, I have a 21 Patrol. I am looking to get an angled headset. I am having some issues trying to get info on diameters and what headset will be the right one to go with.

Anyone have some info?

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 18:18 Quote
sashreds wrote:
Hey everyone, I have a 21 Patrol. I am looking to get an angled headset. I am having some issues trying to get info on diameters and what headset will be the right one to go with.

Anyone have some info?
https://www.transitionbikes.com/Support_Archive_VersionDetail.cfm?ID=28
HEADSET (TOP): 56mm Zero Stack

HEADSET (BOTTOM): 56mm Zero Stack

https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/10-degree-zs56-zs56-angle-headset--to-suit-tapered-steerer-tube-1888-p.asp

Posted: Nov 18, 2022 at 12:36 Quote
iridedj wrote:
sashreds wrote:

Anyone have some info?
https://www.transitionbikes.com/Support_Archive_VersionDetail.cfm?ID=28
HEADSET (TOP): 56mm Zero Stack

HEADSET (BOTTOM): 56mm Zero Stack

https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/10-degree-zs56-zs56-angle-headset--to-suit-tapered-steerer-tube-1888-p.asp

Should have hopped back on here to update. I found the works headset right after I posted this.

Thanks tho!!

Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 7:55 Quote
Hi all, yet another sizing question, sorry!

I'm looking at getting a Sentinel but between sizes and don't have many options to try at any shops.

I'm 5ft 8.5" and positive ape index. Originally had a medium 2017 patrol in medium but went to the large and it felt just right. The numbers for the sentinel V2 are very similar to the old patrol but not sure.

Anyone else has similar experience? Curious to know.

Or i go Raaw Madonna but it might be too much bike!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019958
Mobile Version of Website