The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.
Posted: Jun 20, 2016 at 16:03 Quote
Posted this in the other Slash forum... just in case people encounter the same issue;
just picked up a used Slash 9.8 (2015) and after the first ride this happened:
Bolt on non drive side of upper linkage rocker snapped off and is stuck inside

Basically sheared off the upper linkage/rocker bolt on the non drive side. I'm guessing the bolt had already been compromised but wanted to find out if anyone else had similar experience with Trek frames/hardware. I'm coming over from a life of Santa Cruz where I broke a few of their frames, but never a bolt in this way.

Feel free to ask questions or comment. Short story... my shop is solid and will hook me up. No worries there. I will only be without the bike for a few days because they had to order the bolts. Apparently Trek uses different bolts in the carbon frame than they do in the aluminum (Slash Cool frame. so they couldn't swap parts from the demo bike they have on hand.

Posted: Jun 21, 2016 at 6:03 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Don't buy used?

Yeah there's that. But it's beside the point. Without too much back story... the shop is taking care of me without additional cost. I really just wanted to post this in case someone else has/had the same issue. Because I searched like crazy online to find similar stories about Trek's bolts specifically. Breaking frames is somewhat expected (especially considering where I ride - Chico, CA), but snapping a bolt in this way is just weird. Even on a gently used bike as this one is.

Posted: Jun 21, 2016 at 6:17 Quote
I've had new main pivot bolts shear under torque, lucky LBS were doing my rebuild.

Posted: Jun 21, 2016 at 6:19 Quote
Anyone know if rumours true about 2017 Slash 29'r?

Posted: Jun 21, 2016 at 7:23 Quote
I am hearing announcement on Thursday.

Posted: Jun 21, 2016 at 8:11 Quote
enduroFactory wrote:
I've had new main pivot bolts shear under torque, lucky LBS were doing my rebuild.

Yeah they said it was probably over-torqued at the shop before I picked it up.

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2016 at 9:02 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
I am hearing announcement on Thursday.

I just heard fuels and rems, nothing slashy other than rumors yet. But then again, Canadaland.

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2016 at 20:07 Quote
photo
Had the Slash out for a brief spin after work.

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 at 20:44 Quote
I recently flipped the mino link chip on my 2014 slash 27.5. I changed the rear tire to a slaughter grid the front is the bontrager team issue se4. I have ridden the bike in this configuration for the past 3 rides and love it. I feel the bike climb slightly better on the last 2 rides. I am also going down rough rocky trails faster than i have ever done before. This last ride my dumb ass dropped the travel on the fork and put the fork and shock in the trail mode for the climb. On the way down i forgot to to put the fork in the full travel mode, but I put the shock and fork in descend mode and flew faster than any down hill section I have ever road on any bike.

Safe to say i do not miss the slack mode on the bike and will probably only return it to slack mode if I hit a shuttle day or chair lift day.

To be fair and make a correct judgment I still need to ride the same trails in the slack mode.

Flip the link and give it a try if you already have not

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2016 at 21:04 Quote
Man when I had a dual position pike I ran the first half of so many descents in the 130mm position.

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 at 21:06 Quote
I know that feel!!

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 at 21:12 Quote
Why use the full travel that you payed for. Its over ratted by far lol

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 at 21:23 Quote
I know I suck at spelling! It's as if English was my second language at times.
whattheheel wrote:
So is spelling...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016718
Mobile Version of Website