Kona Process 153 vs. Orbea Rallon

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Kona Process 153 vs. Orbea Rallon
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 14, 2014 at 22:15 Quote
I am stuck between both of these frames. I have read nothing but great things about the Process 153, except for the

fact that it is a little bit on the heavy side. Other than that it seems like a great machine.

The Orbea has had nothing but great reviews as well, but I understand that this is their first plunge into the gravity

side of the mtb world.

I like the geometry on both of these frames, favoring the Kona by just a little.

I plan on putting BOS front and rear with an X1 drivetrain and Stans Flow wheels.

So I am wondering if anyone has the frame weight only of either of these bikes, any input, anything to add to the

plethora of info already available by the mtb media. First hand info is always best though!

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 at 23:43 Quote
Look into the Norco range if not the kona looks okay

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 4:16 Quote
norcodudeman wrote:
Look into the Norco range if not the kona looks okay

If I could get ahold of a Carbon model for a decent price I would consider it.

For now my heart is set on the Orbea Rallon, Kona 153, as well as Enduro 650b, Devinci Spartan, Trek Slash.

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 12:30 Quote
I own a rallon and am very happy with it, I also had the same choice until it had a go on a friends kona which i found a bit short while standing, the rallon has a longer front center (both M frames). The rallon climbs fire roads well, better than i thought probably because of the steepish seat tube angle but not as easy as the lighter trance (2011). I'm about 5'10" tall. Hope some of this helps.

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 13:17 Quote
jonb71 wrote:
I own a rallon and am very happy with it, I also had the same choice until it had a go on a friends kona which i found a bit short while standing, the rallon has a longer front center (both M frames). The rallon climbs fire roads well, better than i thought probably because of the steepish seat tube angle but not as easy as the lighter trance (2011). I'm about 5'10" tall. Hope some of this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I usually ride a Large but I feel that I fit perfect in the parking lot on the Medium Rallon.

How did it feel when you started going downhill?

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 13:57 Quote
Coming from the trance which is a very different bike it felt better, more stable and easier to attack things at speed, it takes jumps and corners with confidence after getting better tyres, HR2 front, DHR2 rear. To be honest the bike is faster than what I'm able for at the moment. Pedals well over rough. Here in Dublin we don't have big "downhill" stuff, more enduro kinda thing.

Posted: Nov 20, 2014 at 1:58 Quote
Due to the fact that the CF frames feel much better than Al., I would never consider an aluminium bike again; having said that, when i considered my actual bike, Rallon was among the "finalists".

with a geo and dimensions of: 66,5/75, 345 BB, 1172mm wheelbase, 442mm reach, 450mm ST and 606mm ETT, the M size, it is the almost perfect enduro bike - but it isn't a great pedaling bike, more like a medium pedaler -

with the Kona, you can decide what you want more(a trail and fun oriented bike, go for size M: 1161mm wheelbase, 435mm reach, 405mm ST and 601mm ETT or, if you would like a a more gravity oriented bike("more enduro"), go for size L: 1190mm wheelbase, 460mm reach, 450mm ST and 629mm ETT with a short stem);

I haven't got the pleasure of riding the new Process but the geo seems right; from what I have read, the Process isn't also a great pedaling bike.

having said that, you could also look at Mondraker, with their Foxy and Dune aluminium bikes; Foxy XR is 3500 euro and spots a great geo and very good components/set-up.

cheers,
E.

Posted: Nov 20, 2014 at 5:07 Quote
eugenux wrote:
Due to the fact that the CF frames feel much better than Al., I would never consider an aluminium bike again; having said that, when i considered my actual bike, Rallon was among the "finalists".

with a geo and dimensions of: 66,5/75, 345 BB, 1172mm wheelbase, 442mm reach, 450mm ST and 606mm ETT, the M size, it is the almost perfect enduro bike - but it isn't a great pedaling bike, more like a medium pedaler -

with the Kona, you can decide what you want more(a trail and fun oriented bike, go for size M: 1161mm wheelbase, 435mm reach, 405mm ST and 601mm ETT or, if you would like a a more gravity oriented bike("more enduro"), go for size L: 1190mm wheelbase, 460mm reach, 450mm ST and 629mm ETT with a short stem);

I haven't got the pleasure of riding the new Process but the geo seems right; from what I have read, the Process isn't also a great pedaling bike.

having said that, you could also look at Mondraker, with their Foxy and Dune aluminium bikes; Foxy XR is 3500 euro and spots a great geo and very good components/set-up.

cheers,
E.

I was looking to get the new Devinci Carbon Spartan XP, but it came with pretty junk components and still weighed in at 34.5 lbs.

The Rallon can be built very easily anywhere from 29-31. Anything lighter will feel unstable at speed in my opinion, and the pedaling isn't too big of an issue. It's all about compromise. I've got a 29er to pedal up fireroads

Posted: Nov 20, 2014 at 5:17 Quote
somismtb wrote:
eugenux wrote:

cheers,
E.

I was looking to get the new Devinci Carbon Spartan XP, but it came with pretty junk components and still weighed in at 34.5 lbs.

The Rallon can be built very easily anywhere from 29-31. Anything lighter will feel unstable at speed in my opinion, and the pedaling isn't too big of an issue. It's all about compromise. I've got a 29er to pedal up fireroads

I would just go for a Carbon frame and change to better components(making the bike lighter) when I would have the spare money; Carbon rides so much nicely, IMO..

anyway, good luck with whatever path you choose!

E.

Posted: Nov 21, 2014 at 7:29 Quote
Never tried the Orbea so I can't comment on it.

I have a 2014 153 in Large and it's a blast. Seriously you won't be asking for more performance wise (not component wise). I didn't find the bike to be THAT heavy but I can see where it comes from. You could change the rear tire for a faster rolling one and would probably be much better. I do 1-1.5 hr climbs carrying a pack with a full face and it's doable. I wouldn't see the weight being a deal breaker. I must say it isn't the best pedaling bike, but consider the bike wasn't made for that.

The bike is fast, very much playful and I found the Pike spot on. So much confidence and very predictable when it gets technical (not to mention when going fast on not so technical stuff). Brakes suck so if you plan on getting one swap them from the beginning IMO.

Overall great bike. I use it mostly for AM and occasional light DH. It's all stock except for Renthal 30mm rise bars, and Zee brake/front and XT/rear. In the end it isn't the best pedalling bike out there, but the overall experience is great.

Then comes the price, and at $3,400 bucks it doesn't get any better.

Hope it helps.

Posted: Nov 21, 2014 at 18:50 Quote
SK250 wrote:

I have a 2014 153 in Large and it's a blast. Seriously you won't be asking for more performance wise (not component wise). I didn't find the bike to be THAT heavy but I can see where it comes from. You could change the rear tire for a faster rolling one and would probably be much better. I do 1-1.5 hr climbs carrying a pack with a full face and it's doable. I wouldn't see the weight being a deal breaker. I must say it isn't the best pedaling bike, but consider the bike wasn't made for that.

The bike is fast, very much playful and I found the Pike spot on. So much confidence and very predictable when it gets technical (not to mention when going fast on not so technical stuff). Brakes suck so if you plan on getting one swap them from the beginning IMO.

Overall great bike. I use it mostly for AM and occasional light DH. It's all stock except for Renthal 30mm rise bars, and Zee brake/front and XT/rear. In the end it isn't the best pedalling bike out there, but the overall experience is great.

Hope it helps.

That all sounds great and I dont really have any reason not to like the bike.

Although I dont really love it like I love the Orbea with the BOS suspension.

Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 7:29 Quote
somismtb wrote:
SK250 wrote:

Hope it helps.

That all sounds great and I dont really have any reason not to like the bike.

Although I dont really love it like I love the Orbea with the BOS suspension.

I guess the Orbea is also a blast to ride and you won't regret it. In the end, and this is my personal opinion, all bikes that fall under the AM category will be a blast to ride. Of course some may have this better or that better but in the end most of them will be fun. I talk about the 153 because thats the one I have, but im sure a Rallon owner will say the same things about his bike.

Posted: Oct 28, 2017 at 13:35 Quote
I have a rallon x10 2016 model and it's a great bike, I have test ridden the rallon m10 basic model and all I can say is wow, the bike picks up speed really quick, handles berms well and is very composed and stable. I pulled the trigger and have ordered one with some upgrades. Not sure of kona process 153 not ridden one but heard weight is big thing. You can get m10 with fox 36 and x2 shock for around 4k ish.

Posted: Oct 29, 2017 at 1:39 Quote
scottysurf22 wrote:
I have a rallon x10 2016 model and it's a great bike, I have test ridden the rallon m10 basic model and all I can say is wow, the bike picks up speed really quick, handles berms well and is very composed and stable. I pulled the trigger and have ordered one with some upgrades. Not sure of kona process 153 not ridden one but heard weight is big thing. You can get m10 with fox 36 and x2 shock for around 4k ish.
holy thread revival batman

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020277
Mobile Version of Website