Wisp 2015

PB Forum :: USA - East
Wisp 2015
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2015 at 18:48 Quote
According to the GES Press Release a few weeks back, it looks like Wisp is going to do some work on updating the bike park program:

“The relationship with Wisp has huge potential for the GES. We have a contract with Wisp to grow their MTB park. The possibities are infinite,” says Hartlove. “We are on the ground floor for developing this mountain to become an MTB destination. Wisp has made their heavy equipment available at our disposal and also given us the most latitude in terms of what we want to build, link up, create, you name it. And they are big supporters of the dual slalom format.”

This is exciting news, and there's a lot of riders in the area who would really enjoy, and be happy to help support a mountain that can get behind our sport. Right now, aside from driving four hours each way to Snowshoe, the options for Pittsburgh riders are rather limited. I, for one, love Snowshoe, but it's difficult to commit an entire weekend and justify 2 tanks of gas just to get some laps in the park if one has other obligations. Wisp would be a great option for those of us who prefer to drive out, ride their bike, and drive home in the same day.

As of the last time I was at Wisp, it was a change of pace, but not exactly destination-worthy (not saying there isn't a ton of potential). The jump line was small and unremarkable, the lift was uber slow, and there wasn't much variation in the terrain. It was a fun place to ride, but definitely a bit dated. If the park outlined their planned development, I'd gladly shell out for a season pass, and I'd be willing to bet there's a lot of other riders from Pittsburgh who would as well.

So does anyone know what these developments entail?

A top-to-bottom groomed jump trail?

A whole bunch of new trails?

A gas pedal for the chairlift (joking, but not really)?

Big, modern-era freeride features?

Does anyone on PB talk to Mike Hartlove? Any chance he'd be willing to jump on here and give some details or talk with some potential pass-holders?

Wisp could be an amazing place to ride. The mountain is situated with a nice, mellow grade for the top 2/3, and then it gets steep and nasty at the bottom. There's tons of wooded area. The existing trail network would provide a nice starting point, and there's already some fun stuff in place.

Anyway, let's get the conversation going.

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2015 at 19:13 Quote
Wisp does have a lot of potential but until they address the issue with the lift they are going to have a hard time attracting more riders.I had a season pass two years ago and still only went about six times that season.Sitting on that lift in the summer heat is just unbearable.

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2015 at 19:19 Quote
BeerGuzlinFool wrote:
Wisp does have a lot of potential but until they address the issue with the lift they are going to have a hard time attracting more riders.I had a season pass two years ago and still only went about six times that season.Sitting on that lift in the summer heat is just unbearable.

The chairlift is really the only thing that has held me back from riding there a lot more. It's reeeeeally difficult to keep momentum going when you're only getting two runs per hour.

I'd even be willing to buy a pass if the ONLY thing they did was speed up the chair.

Posted: Mar 15, 2015 at 9:58 Quote
Yeah, not bringing sunscreen with me was a BIG mistake haha.

Posted: Mar 16, 2015 at 17:33 Quote
Wisp Resort is under new ownership and has been since last year (2014).

They have been very progressive with their plans for development and I am very happy to be involved.

Our 2015 plans include;
- Re-building the MTBBMX track to make it a true dual slalom track.
- Re-surfacing the pump tracks and re-locating wooden features in the tubing park.
- Developing a top to bottom jump trail and developing new DH trails on the Hotel side of the resort.
- Planning for new trails on the North Camp side and linking up with the Garrett County trail system.

We are all well aware that the existing lift is our biggest hurdle...Not much we can do about that right now and the new owners are certainly aware of this dilemma.

We do have Shuttle plans in place for event weekends which should help speed things up on race day.

As the only operating chairlift in Maryland, the resort is governed by some out-dated rules and regulations. Hopefully our new Governor may help change this?

Glad to see all the feedback and hope we can make things as awesome as they can be as we move forward.

MH

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2015 at 17:41 Quote
Thanks for the info. Mike..In order to get around the issues with the lift you might want to consider running the shuttle on the weekends. Everyone I know likes the trails at Wisp. We all just hate the lift.

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 10:24 Quote
It would be nice if they marked the trails better...I rode there last year and had no idea where I was going half the time and ended up bombing the ski slopes cause I could find a trail entrance

FL
Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 5:04 Quote
Not exactly on topic with the rest of the thread, but would you all recommend wisp? I'm not a beginner, but I'm not great, either. I like features, drops, jumps, etc as well as speed (Basically I like everything haha). As far as I know, wisp is the only park around that's open already and I want to hit it up sometime soon. Is it worth a 3 hour drive each way?

O+
Posted: May 6, 2015 at 16:29 Quote
Anybody know if any work is being done on the trails yet..Openining day is on May 16th..I plan on being there ..anyone else?

Posted: May 6, 2015 at 18:30 Quote
A couple friends and I are planning on going to Wisp opening weekend.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2015 at 18:42 Quote
dsplatt wrote:
A couple friends and I are planning on going to Wisp opening weekend.

Cool..I'll be there on Sunday if weather permits.. I'll be riding a black Jedi with a green dvo fork. If you see me don't be afraid to introduce yourself.

Posted: May 7, 2015 at 10:25 Quote
Ah I'm planning on going Saturday as of right now...I'll also be at springs openning weekend on an evil undead with blue pedals

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2015 at 9:58 Quote
Any updates, those that have been out to Wisp this year?

I was pretty disappointed the one time I went last year. The lift, we all know about the lift (plus they stopped it for every single rider getting on or off...), the trails were hard to navigate, and the one I enjoyed most was a loamy trail that wasn't on the map (a guy in the shop told me about it), that went to the top of the 'skills area' (the lift gave me a lot of time to think about the logic of a hidden black trail being the only way to get to the top of the beginner skills area).

It sounds like the new management are at least talking the talk, but are the trails any better? Blue and Seven Springs are about the same drive for me, and I enjoyed both more than the last time I went to Wisp; but monotony and all...

Posted: Jun 19, 2015 at 10:18 Quote
I am more then willing to help out with making wisp a better place to ride. Planning on going out there soon being only two hours away in Frederick MD. And hey, a slow lift is better then no lift, I have to push my bike back up the mountain here in Frederick LOL. Or get a friend to help shuddle.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010912
Mobile Version of Website