"Sexiest" Singlespeed FR/DH Bike Thread. (What and How-To included)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
"Sexiest" Singlespeed FR/DH Bike Thread. (What and How-To included)
O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 9:02 Quote
Blablablup123 wrote:
Supreme 29 EXT Storia Fox 40 Trickstuff Direttissima
Supreme 29, EXT Storia, Fox 40, Trickstuff Direttissima

Supreme 29 EXT Storia Fox 40 Trickstuff Direttissima
Supreme 29, EXT Storia, Fox 40, Trickstuff Direttissima

what a godawful time to build your dream bike...

Mmmmm. Love it.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 13:17 Quote
Holy shit I love this thread. Inspired me to try it out.
going single speed really gives bikes a much cleaner look.

I've managed to get an SB one Boner cheap second hand on ebay. Its just the tensioner, no cogs included.

I'm gonna be experimenting with single speed on all three of my bikes but initially on my Nomad.

All my bikes use sram xd drivers

So I'm looking at this kit from SB One https://www.sbonebikeparts.com/sb-one-parts/sbo-xd-conversation-kit.html

But its really expensive for what it is. about £80 once i pay for shipping. thats steep for a cog and spacers...

Ive found this
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/hub-spares-skewers-c122/xd-1-er-single-speed-conversion-kit-p19388 thats much cheaper at £30 but its 16t cog smallest size it seems?

Feel like that might get a bit spiny on my dh bike? testing in the street 16-36 feels ok but once im up to speed on my trails it might feel like im spinning out.

I'll be switching this single speed set up between my three bikes just to experiment so if i go for the cheap £30 kit id be spinning 16-32 on my nomad on the shuttle runs at inners uplift.

Any one spent the money on the SB One XD driver kit?

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 13:21 Quote
meant to ask about converting A ZEE mech

see some folk saying they used a punch

something like this to get the pins out? anything else needed to press them back in or new pins needed?
https://www.toolstation.com/pin-punch-set/p44554?store=DQ&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy6T1BRDXARIsAIqCTXouOOSNbKJw-c7_t-xyGqpPs0ERFOsqhUuRVtJlpy9N0lIxvT-qzrcaAstEEALw_wcB

Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 15:48 Quote
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
Holy shit I love this thread. Inspired me to try it out.
going single speed really gives bikes a much cleaner look.

I've managed to get an SB one Boner cheap second hand on ebay. Its just the tensioner, no cogs included.

I'm gonna be experimenting with single speed on all three of my bikes but initially on my Nomad.

All my bikes use sram xd drivers

So I'm looking at this kit from SB One https://www.sbonebikeparts.com/sb-one-parts/sbo-xd-conversation-kit.html

But its really expensive for what it is. about £80 once i pay for shipping. thats steep for a cog and spacers...

Ive found this
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/hub-spares-skewers-c122/xd-1-er-single-speed-conversion-kit-p19388 thats much cheaper at £30 but its 16t cog smallest size it seems?

Feel like that might get a bit spiny on my dh bike? testing in the street 16-36 feels ok but once im up to speed on my trails it might feel like im spinning out.

I'll be switching this single speed set up between my three bikes just to experiment so if i go for the cheap £30 kit id be spinning 16-32 on my nomad on the shuttle runs at inners uplift.

Any one spent the money on the SB One XD driver kit?

You can use Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator to check what you need. I was very happy with 36x13t on a 26 inch bike, not too short for fast tracks, and not too long for some steep (but very short) uphills when clipped in.

Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 23:35 Quote
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
meant to ask about converting A ZEE mech

see some folk saying they used a punch

something like this to get the pins out? anything else needed to press them back in or new pins needed?
https://www.toolstation.com/pin-punch-set/p44554?store=DQ&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy6T1BRDXARIsAIqCTXouOOSNbKJw-c7_t-xyGqpPs0ERFOsqhUuRVtJlpy9N0lIxvT-qzrcaAstEEALw_wcB
I'm definitely a supporter of the Zinglespeed conversion. I've been using mine for a few months now with no issues. Those punches will do the trick but you will also need some sort of hack saw/dremel to cut off portions of the linkage. You only end up reusing one of the pins to connect the clutch mechanism with the hanger.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2020 at 11:21 Quote
bigquotesI'm definitely a supporter of the Zinglespeed conversion. I've been using mine for a few months now with no issues. Those punches will do the trick but you will also need some sort of hack saw/dremel to cut off portions of the linkage. You only end up reusing one of the pins to connect the clutch mechanism with the hanger.

Thanks dude, I have a dremel so cutting off bits of the linkage should be easy enough.

So the pin thats reused, just to get my head around it, the pins are basically a press fit essentially? Just punch one of the pins back through the holes that it came out and its nice and snug?

Once I've find a cheap second hand Zee mech I'll document the process with photos and try explain it for others to see and I'll post it here.
I tried google but couldn't really find any step by step guide or videos on how to do it. But it sounds simple enough if the pins are easily reused and fit snug even after being reused. A guide might be handy for others to use in future.

My SB ONE Boner that I got cheap(£35!) second hand on ebay arrived today, will post up photos of my newly singlespeed nomad when its ready.

I'm not so sure that the SB ONE tensioners are really worth the asking price at rrp... 200 euros for the latest generation!?

Posted: Apr 30, 2020 at 11:53 Quote
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
bigquotesI'm definitely a supporter of the Zinglespeed conversion. I've been using mine for a few months now with no issues. Those punches will do the trick but you will also need some sort of hack saw/dremel to cut off portions of the linkage. You only end up reusing one of the pins to connect the clutch mechanism with the hanger.

Thanks dude, I have a dremel so cutting off bits of the linkage should be easy enough.

So the pin thats reused, just to get my head around it, the pins are basically a press fit essentially? Just punch one of the pins back through the holes that it came out and its nice and snug?

Once I've find a cheap second hand Zee mech I'll document the process with photos and try explain it for others to see and I'll post it here.
I tried google but couldn't really find any step by step guide or videos on how to do it. But it sounds simple enough if the pins are easily reused and fit snug even after being reused. A guide might be handy for others to use in future.
Exactly. The linkages are designed in a way that the connecting pins are meant to be one directional so it can be pushed in but not easily pushed back out. To remove the pins you are going to have to cut part of the joint to be able to use a punch on them. You do not want to cut the end of the joint that is closest to the hanger because you will need that joint to still have the "directional" aspect to it so that after the reused connecting pin is punched back through, it will not vibrate out of the bottom of the joint when in use. In order to avoid cutting this joint, you have to cut that pin directly in half to remove it. The photos posted earlier in the chat will really help guide you through what needs to be cut where.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2020 at 15:13 Quote
DHman008 wrote:
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:

Exactly. The linkages are designed in a way that the connecting pins are meant to be one directional so it can be pushed in but not easily pushed back out. To remove the pins you are going to have to cut part of the joint to be able to use a punch on them. You do not want to cut the end of the joint that is closest to the hanger because you will need that joint to still have the "directional" aspect to it so that after the reused connecting pin is punched back through, it will not vibrate out of the bottom of the joint when in use. In order to avoid cutting this joint, you have to cut that pin directly in half to remove it. The photos posted earlier in the chat will really help guide you through what needs to be cut where.

Nice thanks for that explanation, makes sense to me. I hadn't scrolled back through and had forgot about that photo previously posted that shows the cut parts all laid out.

Posted: May 2, 2020 at 1:45 Quote
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:

My SB ONE Boner that I got cheap(£35!) second hand on ebay arrived today, will post up photos of my newly singlespeed nomad when its ready.

I'm not so sure that the SB ONE tensioners are really worth the asking price at rrp... 200 euros for the latest generation!?

I'm running on of the earlier SB one g3, should be about 2 years old now. See the "reichmann rip 3" in raw some pages before.
in my opinion they are worth the money already because you won't find any other usable alternative, which is ready to use by purchase like the SB ones.
I did spend some time with Zinglespeed configurations, but the Zees do have a limited lifetime on my bikes (with and without shifting) gears) and the riding wasn't without loosing the chain sometimes in the rear.
The SB one is just fit and forget and it should outlast any derailleur over long term.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2020 at 11:07 Quote
Muellbeutel wrote:
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:

I'm running on of the earlier SB one g3, should be about 2 years old now. See the "reichmann rip 3" in raw some pages before.
in my opinion they are worth the money already because you won't find any other usable alternative, which is ready to use by purchase like the SB ones.
I did spend some time with Zinglespeed configurations, but the Zees do have a limited lifetime on my bikes (with and without shifting) gears) and the riding wasn't without loosing the chain sometimes in the rear.
The SB one is just fit and forget and it should outlast any derailleur over long term.

Yeah, I agree with you really.
I think at first I felt it was expensive for what it is. But then this is mountain biking... Quality does cost. I've been looking at my SB ONE Boner that I bought second hand and the production quality is indeed very high. You're correct in saying that there currently isn't really any other viable alternative for a DH bike.

I've since ordered a 14t XD driver singlespeed kit from the SB ONE website. 14t cog will be ideal running 36/14 for shuttle runs. But it would be good if there was a 16t variant of the XD driver kit that would be better suited to running on a trail bike say 32/16

Yeah I had seen your RIP 3 in the thread. It was actually the bike that inspired me the most to try SS. The frame design is kind of similar to my dh bike.
I dont know much about the RIP 3 but I've noticed before that its suspension design looks very similar to the linkage design on my Propain Rage CF. Both German, I've wondered if they had any connection to one another?
The Solid Srike is another that uses the same linkage design, but its known that the strike was designed by reichmann?

Anyway as soon as the XD cog kit arrives I'll get photos up.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2020 at 11:26 Quote
didnt know xd singlespeed kits existed

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 18:44 Quote
DHman008 wrote:
Just converted my Furious to zingle speed. After seeing it work out for a couple of you guys I gave it a go. A cutoff wheel and a punch made pretty easy work of the stock Zee derailleur. For what it is, I'd definitely recommend the conversion. Brand new Zee derailleurs with a clutch are cheaper than most of the spring driven tensioners on the market.

photo

photo

photo

Tbh I'm kinda surprised Shimano hasn't patented this themselves. Seems like a legit design and idea considering the other types of chain tensioners (Alfine) they've got on the market.

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 22:01 Quote
That looks really clean man...personally, I’ve been really happy with my Rohloff with it’s lightweight and better suspension action than a clutch....although I have to run a full guide. I think I’d definitely do this over an SB One just for the cost savings. Hard to justify a spare SB One in the tool box and I like to always have one since they’re hard to get quickly.

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 22:16 Quote
Does the Zingle have chain line adjustment?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017753
Mobile Version of Website