DH rear tire for Enduro-comps

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
DH rear tire for Enduro-comps
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 2:15 Quote
Hey,
I am competing in the Norwegian Enduro Cup (80/20 Enduro Series) and am looking for an all-round rear tire witch can take a heavy beating. To be sure to not have any punctures I think I have to get a DH rear tire. Both the Schwalbe SuperGravity and the Continental Apex Protection is puncturing at the rim edge. Or is there any other not-full-on DH tires that I can use as a rear tire, but I don’t have to worry about punctures even if I run low pressure, 23-25 psi (weighing 135 lbs naked)?

I love the DHR II in EXO MaxxTerra, but is has to little puncture resistance to be used as a comp tire. In DH-casing in 650B it is only available in MaxxGrip and Super Tacky compounds. I know that the MaxxGrip is 70a base, 42a center and 40a side knobs and that the Super Tacky is 42a, but is there any difference in rolling resistance in these tires?

Is there any other rear tires comparable to the DHR II in DH-casing, but that has a bit harder rubber compound?

The criterias is: Good side grip, OK braking traction, OK rolling resistance and Good punture resistance.

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 12:12 Quote
Specialized butcher 2.3 Grid? Casing is inbetween a maxxis exo and dh but weighs a lot less than a dh tyre.

Has a 42a compound all round but rolls relatively well, feels very similar to a minion dhf, which isn't a surprise as that's that specialized used for 'inspiration' after sam hill refused to ride anything else!

I'm also loving a specialized slaughter on the back for dry days, grips a LOT better than you'd expect so long as it's dry and rolls faster than any full tread tyre. It's terrifying in the wet though!

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 12:44 Quote
I run a dhr2 exo tr 2.3,tubeless on flow rims,18 months enduro races,uplifts,dh tracks,no punctures or burping.run various pressures from 20-35psi depending on weather/track conditions-absolutely flawless fit and forget.Are you running tubeless or with tubes?

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 20:46 Quote
Yeah I myself really like that tyre but it's a real shame that it's so light. From memory it's around 730grams in the single compound version that I've used, and for me i think it would be perfect if it was around 900-950 grams. Turning to the DH version seems a bit drastic as it probably weighs over 1200grams easy, and like you said isn't avaliable in a compound that you would like to pedal for too long.

At your weight I thought it would be perfect through. Why do you need to run such low pressures? I'm guessing your using a wide rim like a flow EX? A wide rim and a not huge tyre like the 2.3 dhr2 at low psi is a recipe for rim damage and or flats. Couldn't you just run 3psi more?

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 21:27 Quote
Panaphonic,the exo is about 850 grammes,with reinforced walls,I've no rim damage,or flats like I said,it's on the old flow rims which are a bit narrower I believe.Some of the terrain where I ride (Peak District) is some of the most brutal in the UK on tyres and rims,boulders,slate etc.its a good tyre,tough,versatile,although tyres are a very personal choice.i run it with a dhf 2.5 exo on the front,again no issues what so ever since mounting it February 2014.the tyre debate will go on and on I'm sure.

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 21:45 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
Yeah I myself really like that tyre but it's a real shame that it's so light. From memory it's around 730grams in the single compound version that I've used, and for me i think it would be perfect if it was around 900-950 grams. Turning to the DH version seems a bit drastic as it probably weighs over 1200grams easy, and like you said isn't avaliable in a compound that you would like to pedal for too long.

At your weight I thought it would be perfect through. Why do you need to run such low pressures? I'm guessing your using a wide rim like a flow EX? A wide rim and a not huge tyre like the 2.3 dhr2 at low psi is a recipe for rim damage and or flats. Couldn't you just run 3psi more?
sorry ignore the previous post,just realised you weren't talking to me,doh!

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 21:50 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
Panaphonic,the exo is about 850 grammes,with reinforced walls,I've no rim damage,or flats like I said,it's on the old flow rims which are a bit narrower I believe.Some of the terrain where I ride (Peak District) is some of the most brutal in the UK on tyres and rims,boulders,slate etc.its a good tyre,tough,versatile,although tyres are a very personal choice.i run it with a dhf 2.5 exo on the front,again no issues what so ever since mounting it February 2014.the tyre debate will go on and on I'm sure.

My comment was directed at the OP. Sorry yeah I should have quoted his text. You probably have the 3c Exo don't you? As with Maxxis the 3c Exo tyres seem to weigh 100 grams or so more than the single compound Exo versions. I do agree that's it's a great tyre and I'll be buying another one for my next rear tyre.

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 21:50 Quote
enigmas1 wrote:
Specialized butcher 2.3 Grid? Casing is inbetween a maxxis exo and dh but weighs a lot less than a dh tyre.

Has a 42a compound all round but rolls relatively well, feels very similar to a minion dhf, which isn't a surprise as that's that specialized used for 'inspiration' after sam hill refused to ride anything else!

I'm also loving a specialized slaughter on the back for dry days, grips a LOT better than you'd expect so long as it's dry and rolls faster than any full tread tyre. It's terrifying in the wet though!
looks a good tyre,good weight for the 26" version.

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 21:55 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
panaphonic wrote:

sorry ignore the previous post,just realised you weren't talking to me,doh!

No worries. I actually recommend the dhr2 to anyone who will listen! I think it's a great all rounder and lasts very well considering the amount of grip on offer.

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 23:29 Quote
enigmas1 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I have been looking at the Specalized Grid tires, but it is hard to find close to where I live. It seems like it is not possible to buy online either. I have to call the closest shops and ask if they can order Specalized tires.

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 23:34 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
I run a dhr2 exo tr 2.3,tubeless on flow rims,18 months enduro races,uplifts,dh tracks,no punctures or burping.run various pressures from 20-35psi depending on weather/track conditions-absolutely flawless fit and forget.Are you running tubeless or with tubes?

The DHR II EXO is a very good tire, but if I run higher pressure than 25 psi I feel like I am bouncing around on roots and stones and that the grip suffers a lot from this. If I could, I would have liked to run 20 psi in the rear tire, but that is probably not possible before ProCore is on the market. I am running tubeless, and had a puncture after only 8 rides with this tire.

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 23:42 Quote
panaphonic wrote:

I am running a DT SWISS EX1501 wheelset which have a similar rim profile as the Flow EX. Maybe I just have to run higher pressure, like you said, until I can get ProCore.

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 at 9:46 Quote
mavic charge 2.4
only 1000g & just like a Hi roller 2

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 at 22:45 Quote
Yeah, I think the Charge could work, but I went with the Michelin Wild Rock2R with GumX rubber for the rear wheel. Excited to try it out!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013826
Mobile Version of Website