3K 27.5 Picks?

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
3K 27.5 Picks?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 10:31 Quote
Hello everyone,

Travelling to the US shortly and want to pick up a new bike. I currently ride a Marin 2010 is hardtail 29er with some upgrades but I am having trouble dealing with some of the twisty bends going down some trails here in Peru. I tried a full suspension 27.5 and it felt much better.

I have a budget of around $3K +/- $500.
I really don't need (could afford) carbon
I am 6.06 tall and weight 176 lbs
I do a lot of XC but lately started more DH stuff.
I want something with at least 130mm travel in the front fork.

So far I been looking at a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp EVO 650B and a Trek Fuel EX 8, but there are non of my size and I want to take advantage of the trip to Los Angeles & San Diego. There are more options in USA so now I am thinking of Cannondale, Santa Cruz (if I could afford it), Giants or simmilar.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 11:56 Quote
some options:
Giant Trance SX
SC Solo
Norco Sight
Devinci Troy

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 15:33 Quote
brianl wrote:
some options:
Giant Trance SX
SC Solo
Norco Sight
Devinci Troy

Thanks we check them out.

Posted: Aug 5, 2015 at 7:37 Quote
Intense Tracer 275A Foundation

I just got one and it is insanely awesome.

Posted: Aug 5, 2015 at 14:22 Quote
Just bought a Devinci Spartan, it's the burlier more travel (165mm) brother of the Troy. You should be able to find them in your price range for sure.

My 2015 Spartan Carbon XP cost $3499 CAD on sale, that's way less than $3000USD.

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 at 11:21 Quote
I have a Trance SX and really like the pike with the dual air, it's a nice feature and i find myself riding in the 160mm position on most trails unless i'm doing a steep climb. One negative i've found is the BB is pretty low and i end up with a ton of pedal strikes which is really annoying when trying to power through a corner. I constantly have to ratchet to get over obstacles. Other then that, it's a pretty neat bike

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 at 13:35 Quote
sly12t wrote:
I have a Trance SX and really like the pike with the dual air, it's a nice feature and i find myself riding in the 160mm position on most trails unless i'm doing a steep climb. One negative i've found is the BB is pretty low and i end up with a ton of pedal strikes which is really annoying when trying to power through a corner. I constantly have to ratchet to get over obstacles. Other then that, it's a pretty neat bike
Changing fork travel makes sense on the SX, but my Trance Adv came with a 140/120mm DP Rev which I never drop to the lower position (you think your BB is low!), still not sure why they did that, but finally for 2016 they're using 140mm forks.

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 at 8:10 Quote
Devinci Spartan or Troy
YT Industries AL 2 or AL1

Should both be in the price range, though the Spartan may be a bit more and the YT will have to be ordered beforehand due to shipping. You can find the Devinci's in a Local Bike Shop.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2015 at 2:02 Quote
my friend just got the intense carbine 27.5 deal from jenson. carbon frame, pike/cc inline collabo, reverb stealth, X1 drivetrain for $3300 (well, plus tax). Great deal if you can stretch the budget.

I also love my kona process 134, but can't speak to its uphill ability since I'm fat and consistently pedal at nearly walking pace.

Posted: Aug 16, 2015 at 13:23 Quote
oogens wrote:
my friend just got the intense carbine 27.5 deal from jenson. carbon frame, pike/cc inline collabo, reverb stealth, X1 drivetrain for $3300 (well, plus tax). Great deal if you can stretch the budget.

I also love my kona process 134, but can't speak to its uphill ability since I'm fat and consistently pedal at nearly walking pace.

I just picked up this bike as well and it rides and climbs like a dream. It is a excellent bike and it weights 27.5lbs with easton haven bars

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 8:46 Quote
If I had $3k +/- I would go with a Giant Glory http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/glory.27.5.2/22212/84056/

Of course then I would have to move somewhere I could use that much bike.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 11:33 Quote
I agree that Giant is a great brand and makes awesome bikes, you get a lot for your money. But as I just said in another post, you need to get out and test ride some bikes, who knows maybe you will hate the giants feels...Just because a bike is a dream for one guy/gal doesnt mean it wont be a nightmare for you.

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 20:37 Quote
Giant will always give you a great bang for your bang buck, id personally go with a Giant Reign. They did an awesome job converting to the 27.5, didn't just slap on a bigger wheel on a smaller bike. Demo one if you get the chance!

Posted: Oct 7, 2015 at 8:14 Quote
definitely buying New or would you go semi used?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015079
Mobile Version of Website