Trek Remedy vs Slash: DRCV vs No-DRCV?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trek Remedy vs Slash: DRCV vs No-DRCV?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 26, 2015 at 14:06 Quote
On the fence between the Trek Remedy and Trek Slash.

If the Slash climbs well enough, I'd get that one. I like the non-proprietary rear shock; if it breaks I'll have a much easier time replacing it, and I know I'll never need more than 160mm travel.

On the other hand, the Remedy is cheaper, everyone says it performs outstanding no matter the riding style, it'll definitely climb better and it has DRCV. Thing is, will DRCV be enough to persuade me to buy a shorter-travel bike? Who here has ridden both and noticed a difference?

Is the climbing ability of the Slash tolerable? Will a travel-adjustable fork make it tolerable if it isn't already?

Posted: Jul 26, 2015 at 14:47 Quote
Tolerable yes. But I have a few friends who just switch out wheelsets and ride Keystone on Remedy 650s and 29s. You definitely have to take a little different lines than something with deeper travel, but after they all got their suspension dialed in they haven't bottomed out since and the only one is considering a major change and he's only taking about jumping to either a 160 Pike or 36.

If you're mostly riding lift service the Slash is the obvious choice. If you're mostly pedaling to get to your downhills then I really don't think the Remedy well hold you back.

Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 0:15 Quote
I have both Remedy 29 and Slash. I can tell you that I think the Remedy is a better do it all bike. The Slash is awesome and climbs well but the head angle holds it back a little on tight switchbacks though. The dual position fork does help with this but I really dont use it much. Going down is fantastic. Remedy is also badazz going down the mountain, it wont hold you back any.

And the Slash still has a Trek specific shock, it can be changed but it wont be a exact fit. I swapped out the Fox on my Remedy for a Monarch, nothing wrong with stock but I wanted to try it with something different.
photo
photo

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 7:24 Quote
Carl96 wrote:
I have both Remedy 29 and Slash. I can tell you that I think the Remedy is a better do it all bike. The Slash is awesome and climbs well but the head angle holds it back a little on tight switchbacks though. The dual position fork does help with this but I really dont use it much. Going down is fantastic. Remedy is also badazz going down the mountain, it wont hold you back any.

And the Slash still has a Trek specific shock, it can be changed but it wont be a exact fit. I swapped out the Fox on my Remedy for a Monarch, nothing wrong with stock but I wanted to try it with something different.
photo
photo

Those are sexy. So the Slash shock is actually proprietary, huh? I assumed it wasn't and that was a big selling point.

How did the Monarch differ from the DRCV? Was it a noticeable change?

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 7:58 Quote
Well, drcv is probably gone on the 2016 remedies anyway so I don't think that should be the deciding factor.

Oh and I have a slash 9.8. It'll climb up anything but damn even in climb mode it's pretty bobby.

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 16:02 Quote
You are right, even in climb it still has some movement.

From what I understand the Remedys will come with the EVOL shock which I think is still basically what the DRCV was, I may be wrong though.

As far as the Monarch on my Remedy goes, it still pedals just fine but not as good as the stock REactiv. The Monarch is more plush and handles really well. I think with a tuning band I could get it to pedal as good as stock. If you enjoy climbing alot I would either tune the Monarch or leave the stock on it. If you go up the mountain to enjoy coming down the other side (thats what I do) then the Monarch is a good improvement.

Posted: Jul 30, 2015 at 9:08 Quote
I'm pretty much sold on the Slash now. Plus, if I wanted less travel I believe that pumping the shocks up just a little higher would stiffen it to Remedy levels and make it easier to manage.

Posted: Jul 30, 2015 at 9:23 Quote
Carl96 wrote:
You are right, even in climb it still has some movement.

From what I understand the Remedys will come with the EVOL shock which I think is still basically what the DRCV was, I may be wrong though.

As far as the Monarch on my Remedy goes, it still pedals just fine but not as good as the stock REactiv. The Monarch is more plush and handles really well. I think with a tuning band I could get it to pedal as good as stock. If you enjoy climbing alot I would either tune the Monarch or leave the stock on it. If you go up the mountain to enjoy coming down the other side (thats what I do) then the Monarch is a good improvement.

Yep, no DRCV in the 2016 lineup.

Posted: Aug 2, 2015 at 5:35 Quote
eicca wrote:
I'm pretty much sold on the Slash now. Plus, if I wanted less travel I believe that pumping the shocks up just a little higher would stiffen it to Remedy levels and make it easier to manage.
Dont have any doubts on the Remedy though, try going somewhere to ride both if thats possible, Im selling my Slash and keeping my Remedy. I feel for me that the Rem does everything I need.

Got some new hoops yesterday for the RemBig Grin
photo
photo
photo

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016012
Mobile Version of Website