SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 13:16 Quote
photo

Finally! Got mine together! Super happy with the end result. Swapped the Saint SPD pedals out for Chromag flats, suits me better.

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 22:58 Quote
Hey guys! Just curious how everyones liking their new alloy scouts? I'm currently on a 27.5 Evil Insurgent and absolutely love the thing but its abit overkill alot of the riding I do outside of the bike park, would love to throw a boxxer on it as a park only bike but have too many expensive hobbies to afford that haha. Been trying to find something as a nice middle ground that can take up to 10 bike park days but still be playful enough on the mellower local stuff. Would probably go with a long stoked coil shock/160 fork if I did end up getting one. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,Mark

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 3:52 Quote
DJRYNO4LIFE wrote:
Hey guys! Just curious how everyones liking their new alloy scouts? I'm currently on a 27.5 Evil Insurgent and absolutely love the thing but its abit overkill alot of the riding I do outside of the bike park, would love to throw a boxxer on it as a park only bike but have too many expensive hobbies to afford that haha. Been trying to find something as a nice middle ground that can take up to 10 bike park days but still be playful enough on the mellower local stuff. Would probably go with a long stoked coil shock/160 fork if I did end up getting one. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,Mark

I have 3 rides on my brand new Scout in alloy and I love it. Haven’t ridden 27.5 wheels in about two years and I’m glad I went back to it. My SB150 is a bullet and a monster truck in a straight line but definitely falls short on tighter stuff (as expected). I wanted something playful and fun to have on longer rides that involved more climbing. I had a gen 1 scout several years ago and the geo didn’t work for me. BB felt too low, reach too short, crap seat tube angle. The new geo has none of those issues. I’m running the wrong offest fork so the front end feels a little floppy but I’ll find a 37mm offset CSU to fix that and shorten the wheel base a bit. The Float X is a great shock for my needs as well.

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
JDub713 wrote:
DJRYNO4LIFE wrote:

Cheers,Mark

I have 3 rides on my brand new Scout in alloy and I love it. Haven’t ridden 27.5 wheels in about two years and I’m glad I went back to it. My SB150 is a bullet and a monster truck in a straight line but definitely falls short on tighter stuff (as expected). I wanted something playful and fun to have on longer rides that involved more climbing. I had a gen 1 scout several years ago and the geo didn’t work for me. BB felt too low, reach too short, crap seat tube angle. The new geo has none of those issues. I’m running the wrong offest fork so the front end feels a little floppy but I’ll find a 37mm offset CSU to fix that and shorten the wheel base a bit. The Float X is a great shock for my needs as well.

Oh man that sounds like a blast! What size did you go with and how tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 9:03 Quote
I’m 6’ and picked a large. My Yeti is about 5mm shorter reach, yet feels longer. Stem lengths are the same at 40mm. The stack height is kinda tall on the Scout, even with a zero stack headset. Needed 8.25” of steerer on the fork to get it set up properly. Just something to consider doing a frame only build and swapping forks over from another bike.

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 16:01 Quote
I'm 5'9" and having a tough time on frame size. Coming off a S3 Spec SJ Evo which is closer to the medium size. I sat on a Large in the bike shop and it didn't feel too big, but looking at the numbers I would go for a medium. I do want to have a pretty upright pedaling position. Bike will mostly be for mellow rolling type terrain and flow jump trails. Getting this bike to be a do all playful bike. I plan on getting a Spire or Patrol to replace my dh bike for bike parks, shuttle laps, double black type terrain.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 20:17 Quote
6ft in me boots an on a 2018 medium. Wouldn't want any bigger as I like to play around as much as I like to pedal, also coming from 30 odd years of 26. 27 feels like sizing up to me......

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 5:25 Quote
kingch24 wrote:
I'm 5'9" and having a tough time on frame size. Coming off a S3 Spec SJ Evo which is closer to the medium size. I sat on a Large in the bike shop and it didn't feel too big, but looking at the numbers I would go for a medium. I do want to have a pretty upright pedaling position. Bike will mostly be for mellow rolling type terrain and flow jump trails. Getting this bike to be a do all playful bike. I plan on getting a Spire or Patrol to replace my dh bike for bike parks, shuttle laps, double black type terrain.

I'm 5 8 and would say if you want a playful bike, definitely don't go to a large. I rode a medium the last 18 months but always wished I had got a small for that reason. Fine in a straight line but the massive reach numbers on those bikes don't lend to playfulness IMO. Definitely recommend sizing on the smaller end rather than bigger if that's the ride characteristics you're after.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 6:41 Quote
chazmann wrote:
kingch24 wrote:

I'm 5 8 and would say if you want a playful bike, definitely don't go to a large. I rode a medium the last 18 months but always wished I had got a small for that reason. Fine in a straight line but the massive reach numbers on those bikes don't lend to playfulness IMO. Definitely recommend sizing on the smaller end rather than bigger if that's the ride characteristics you're after.

5' 8" here as well. Chose the medium as the numbers matched my nukeproof in medium and it feels great. Came from a 2019 SC 5010 which was a little shorter and steeper. The scout is much more comfortable to me seated and downhill. the wheel base is a little bit longer

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
831SCB wrote:
chazmann wrote:
kingch24 wrote:

5' 8" here as well. Chose the medium as the numbers matched my nukeproof in medium and it feels great. Came from a 2019 SC 5010 which was a little shorter and steeper. The scout is much more comfortable to me seated and downhill. the wheel base is a little bit longer

I’m definitely leaning towards medium. The wheelbase matches my SJ Evo and reach is 12mm longer. Guys at my LBS said go large and when I called Transition they suggested large as well with a shorter stem. I’d rather have a more upright climbing position then feeling stretched out. I’ll be demoing one of those sizes this weekend.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 9:23 Quote
[Quote="kingch24"]
831SCB wrote:
chazmann wrote:

5' 8" here as well. Chose the medium as the numbers matched my nukeproof in medium and it feels great. Came from a 2019 SC 5010 which was a little shorter and steeper. The scout is much more comfortable to me seated and downhill. the wheel base is a little bit longer[/Quote

I’m definitely leaning towards medium. The wheelbase matches my SJ Evo and reach is 12mm longer. Guys at my LBS said go large and when I called Transition they suggested large as well with a shorter stem. I’d rather have a more upright climbing position then feeling stretched out. I’ll be demoing one of those sizes this weekend.

I’m 5’9 and on a medium frame with a 40mm stem. I have a pretty short inseam ( 30 ) and anytime I have been at the transition shop they always fit me for a medium. Bike feels perfect to me. It still is a super playful bike that I can jump and ride flow trails. I still ride it on gnarly downhill tracks and shuttle with it and I notice the wheel size more than the length when I’m pinning it.

What size stem did they recommend running?

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 10:37 Quote
Was thinking of buying a off the self rockshox super deluxe Ultimate and was wondering what tune I should look for. I have found a few medium tune shocks on pink bike. Any help would be great.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 10:43 Quote
Yt46 wrote:
Was thinking of buying a off the self rockshox super deluxe Ultimate and was wondering what tune I should look for. I have found a few medium tune shocks on pink bike. Any help would be great.

LL is what came stock and I'd agree. I picked up a ML for super cheap here and wish it had a slightly softer compression tune like the LL Super Deluxe Coil I have.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 12:44 Quote
[Quote="Bm1117"]
kingch24 wrote:
831SCB wrote:

5' 8" here as well. Chose the medium as the numbers matched my nukeproof in medium and it feels great. Came from a 2019 SC 5010 which was a little shorter and steeper. The scout is much more comfortable to me seated and downhill. the wheel base is a little bit longer[/Quote

I’m 5’9 and on a medium frame with a 40mm stem. I have a pretty short inseam ( 30 ) and anytime I have been at the transition shop they always fit me for a medium. Bike feels perfect to me. It still is a super playful bike that I can jump and ride flow trails. I still ride it on gnarly downhill tracks and shuttle with it and I notice the wheel size more than the length when I’m pinning it.

They recommended a 32mm stem and 30mm or more rise bars. His reasoning for going large was it would be easier to shorten the cockpit on a large and that handling wise the large would still be very playful.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 14:35 Quote
[Quote="kingch24"]
Bm1117 wrote:
kingch24 wrote:

They recommended a 32mm stem and 30mm or more rise bars. His reasoning for going large was it would be easier to shorten the cockpit on a large and that handling wise the large would still be very playful.

Interesting. I would think the wheelbase difference would make the bike less playful even with a shortened stem. I guess it’s only about an inch difference so splitting hairs really. Regardless you get a ripper either way so good problem to have!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015132
Mobile Version of Website