Trying to learn to jump in my late 30s

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Trying to learn to jump in my late 30s
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 16, 2015 at 16:47 Quote
So after a 10 year break from mountain biking (while in school) I used my first many pay checks to buy a Mach 6 and some carbon wheels. I am having more fun riding now than I did before I was stuck in training for a decade. I have never jumped bikes before, and have been trying to learn on this Pivot. I have read all about pumping the face, etc...but I just keep getting the back end bucking off the lip. I also seem to get the front a little crossed up coming off too. Besides being 37 years old, what am I doing wrong? Too long of a travel of bike? Wheels too light? Any pointers on getting an old guy to

DP

Posted: Aug 16, 2015 at 23:03 Quote
I am currently 34, and didn't learn to jump until 33. A few tips:

1.Try tabletops, and start ROLLING them, not JUMPING them. That will help you dial in how and when to transfer your weight from rear to front when going off the lip. Gradually increase your speed coming into the jump and eventually start getting airborne and landing on the top of the jump. Keep increasing speed gradually and eventually making it cleanly to the landing.

2. Get bunny-hopping down. You can practice it anywhere there is flat ground with room to ride. You're probably getting bucked because you're not bunny-hopping off the lip. When going off of a jump, you have to tell your wheels when to come off the ground by bunny-hopping. Just like you have to lift up on the bars to get your front wheel airborne, you also have to complete the bunny-hop to lift your rear wheel up. Otherwise the lip of the jump lifts your rear wheel for you, resulting in a buck.

3. It probably has nothing to do with your suspension or bike, but your technique. Take one or two (or more) rides where you focus strictly on jumping. Pick one tabletop jump and spend a few hours going over step 1.

4. Get loose! You have to move around in the air. If you don't wiggle around at least a little bit, you stiffen up and your body stops balancing the bike (yes you still have to balance in the air) and you get all wierd coming into the landing. If you aren't enjoying your time in the air, you're doing it wrong.

5. Have fun! If jumping simply isn't fun, don't do it. It's too dangerous to be worth it if you're not enjoying it.

Posted: Aug 17, 2015 at 8:36 Quote
jonathanmb1 wrote:
I am currently 34, and didn't learn to jump until 33. A few tips:

1.Try tabletops, and start ROLLING them, not JUMPING them. That will help you dial in how and when to transfer your weight from rear to front when going off the lip. Gradually increase your speed coming into the jump and eventually start getting airborne and landing on the top of the jump. Keep increasing speed gradually and eventually making it cleanly to the landing.

2. Get bunny-hopping down. You can practice it anywhere there is flat ground with room to ride. You're probably getting bucked because you're not bunny-hopping off the lip. When going off of a jump, you have to tell your wheels when to come off the ground by bunny-hopping. Just like you have to lift up on the bars to get your front wheel airborne, you also have to complete the bunny-hop to lift your rear wheel up. Otherwise the lip of the jump lifts your rear wheel for you, resulting in a buck.

3. It probably has nothing to do with your suspension or bike, but your technique. Take one or two (or more) rides where you focus strictly on jumping. Pick one tabletop jump and spend a few hours going over step 1.

4. Get loose! You have to move around in the air. If you don't wiggle around at least a little bit, you stiffen up and your body stops balancing the bike (yes you still have to balance in the air) and you get all wierd coming into the landing. If you aren't enjoying your time in the air, you're doing it wrong.

5. Have fun! If jumping simply isn't fun, don't do it. It's too dangerous to be worth it if you're not enjoying it.

Thanks man. Awesome tips. I'll be on it this afternoon.

Posted: Aug 17, 2015 at 9:56 Quote
gdnorm wrote:
So after a 10 year break from mountain biking (while in school) I used my first many pay checks to buy a Mach 6 and some carbon wheels. I am having more fun riding now than I did before I was stuck in training for a decade. I have never jumped bikes before, and have been trying to learn on this Pivot. I have read all about pumping the face, etc...but I just keep getting the back end bucking off the lip. I also seem to get the front a little crossed up coming off too. Besides being 37 years old, what am I doing wrong? Too long of a travel of bike? Wheels too light? Any pointers on getting an old guy to

DP

The thing you're describing--the rear end bucking off the lip.... I see that a lot, and it's happened to me.
What's happening is that the suspension is mushing into the face of the jump and when it finally starts rebounding, it bucks your back end. The solution is pre-loading the suspension. You stomp down with your feet BEFORE the jump, so that the suspension is re-bounding out as you leave the lip.

That said, different full suspension setups and tunings can make a big difference in my opinion. Some rear suspension gives no boost and sucks away all your pump.... XC and All-Mountain suspension is often not well tuned l for jumping. It's designed to soak up bumps, not designed for boosting. If you can change the settings to make the both the fork and rear shock stiffer, then try it.

Also, if you can, try picking up a cheap DJ 26" or BMX 24" and use it as "cross-training" for jumping.

Posted: Aug 17, 2015 at 10:13 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:

The thing you're describing--the rear end bucking off the lip.... I see that a lot, and it's happened to me.
What's happening is that the suspension is mushing into the face of the jump and when it finally starts rebounding, it bucks your back end. The solution is pre-loading the suspension. You stomp down with your feet BEFORE the jump, so that the suspension is re-bounding out as you leave the lip.

That said, different full suspension setups and tunings can make a big difference in my opinion. Some rear suspension gives no boost and sucks away all your pump.... XC and All-Mountain suspension is often not well tuned l for jumping. It's designed to soak up bumps, not designed for boosting. If you can change the settings to make the both the fork and rear shock stiffer, then try it.

Also, if you can, try picking up a cheap DJ 26" or BMX 24" and use it as "cross-training" for jumping.

I'll check the buy sell right now. Do I need to worry about getting used to jumping a hard tail, or does it crossover pretty easily? Could I also dial up the rear rebound to make the timing a little easier?

Posted: Aug 17, 2015 at 10:35 Quote
gdnorm wrote:
I'll check the buy sell right now.

2009 Giant STP 0
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/5121556037.html

Transition Bank
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1820936/

new Stolen Saint XLT 24" BMX
https://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/107162/2015_Stolen_Saint_XLT_24_Bike.html

As between 24" BMX and 26" DJ, I'd say go with the DJ. The smoothness of the sus fork will inspire confidence, minimize wrist jams, and jut generally make for longer more comfortable sessions.

Oh yeah, and you're def not too old.
; )

Posted: Aug 25, 2015 at 6:35 Quote
I am new to mountain biking and riding a fs bike, but it still feels pretty normal coming from a bmx background. I'd say the advise on learning to bunny hop is pretty well on. I'm also 36 at the end of this month.

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 22:48 Quote
Don't usually hover around in this section but saw this thread and felt like throwing out a few words of wisdom.

Try and ride with some friends if you can, I know a lot of people don't but try and get down to some dirt jumps and see how others are doing it, ask them a few questions etc etc

But most of all it is just practice practice practice it won't happen over night as your confidence, bike control and many other skills have to build up and gel together.

Have fun though that's the main part, don't beat yourself up over it either and put yourself off.

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 23:06 Quote
Hey moorin, take it easy start slow and build up to it, learning to "fully commit" is the key. I f*cked myself up pretty good " just going for it!" And that sucks and will set you back in the learning process.
The key is finding the right set of quality built jumps to learn on. Find something you look at and picture yourself sending
Then watch people if possible, do they pedal in? Do they push off the lip? Do they look relaxed? Then do the same thing and you will start to learn the basics and become more comfortable.
Flatter gaps are easy to start to learn on because its all about speed and commitment. Real dirt jump rhythm sections require way more skill but offer way more reward and build a solid foundation for hitting any jump you see.

Posted: Aug 28, 2015 at 11:57 Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone. This is a great resource. Picked up an STP cheap. I'm thinking the jumps at corner canyon in slc or the trailside in PC is where I'll be cutting my teeth. I'll be back soon with more questions in pretty sure.

Posted: Aug 28, 2015 at 11:59 Quote
phatplat wrote:
I am new to mountain biking and riding a fs bike, but it still feels pretty normal coming from a bmx background. I'd say the advise on learning to bunny hop is pretty well on. I'm also 36 at the end of this month.

Bunny hop on the FS or the HT?

Posted: Aug 28, 2015 at 20:50 Quote
Set your rebound! I struggled so much until I realized how important suspension setul is. Dont get me wrong, technique is very important too, but proper suspension settings could save your life.

Posted: Aug 28, 2015 at 21:16 Quote
TheRealJack wrote:
Set your rebound! I struggled so much until I realized how important suspension setul is. Dont get me wrong, technique is very important too, but proper suspension settings could save your life.

Good point. What settings should I be running?

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 20:29 Quote
So I keep getting my front end a little (too a lot) crossed during/right after take off. It has put me down hard a few times. Good thing I'm not to proud to wear pads. What am I doing wrong?

DP

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013051
Mobile Version of Website