Marzocchi 380 Master Thread

PB Forum :: Marzocchi
Marzocchi 380 Master Thread
Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 23:27 Quote
Hi guys,

I have a Mondraker Summum 2017 wich came with a Marzocchi 380 CR.Most probably it came equipped with a 6.5 spring which I believe is soft or standard and is suited for an 160 lbs rider from what I was told because I can't find online any chart regarding spring rates correlated to the weight.I am heavier (195 lbs) and I have a hard time finding any retailer across Europe selling replacement parts for this fork.I also read that 380 and 888 forks share the same dimensions regarding the spring.Also, I read that some Fox springs seem to work.

Guys, I need some help.
Thanks in advance!

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 0:56 Quote
Burgerkrieg wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a Mondraker Summum 2017 wich came with a Marzocchi 380 CR.Most probably it came equipped with a 6.5 spring which I believe is soft or standard and is suited for an 160 lbs rider from what I was told because I can't find online any chart regarding spring rates correlated to the weight.I am heavier (195 lbs) and I have a hard time finding any retailer across Europe selling replacement parts for this fork.I also read that 380 and 888 forks share the same dimensions regarding the spring.Also, I read that some Fox springs seem to work.

Guys, I need some help.
Thanks in advance!

Fox 40 springs definitely work. I've used them, i'm 110 lbs and used the purple spring.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
I found this one:

https://www.bike24.com/p2184430.html?fbclid=IwAR1u0wjkejd9io6ZWiLuuEpvgUx8X438zfa113Q73Etjw2ON3SJSnFJGgdg

It seems that the spring it's compatible with models 2012-2015 and my fork is 2017.Should I fear any incompatibilities between this one and 2018 models?

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 13:05 Quote
Hi, first off awesome thread, been right through!

Recently purchased my first pair of 380s, coming from a long line of 55s and BOS Idylle SCs.

I have given them the obligatory strip down and inspection, they are immaculate but top caps were insanely tight, needed my 2ft breaker bar to undo them! Cringe!
I need some help here tho - the springs it came with a random.

It was fitted with a steel Triumph motorcycle spring, really its ridiculous!
The 2 spares I have appear to be both Marz Ti Grey colour code, looking back is this Marz extra firm?

I weigh 180lbs geared up, so would think I need a medium??

I don't do massive hucks etc, I'm into suppleness and speed, but want a solid mid stroke.

What do you reccomend and does anyone have a Ti one they are willing to sell?

Cheers, Dave

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 13:19 Quote
DG370 wrote:
Hi, first off awesome thread, been right through!

Recently purchased my first pair of 380s, coming from a long line of 55s and BOS Idylle SCs.

I have given them the obligatory strip down and inspection, they are immaculate but top caps were insanely tight, needed my 2ft breaker bar to undo them! Cringe!
I need some help here tho - the springs it came with a random.

It was fitted with a steel Triumph motorcycle spring, really its ridiculous!
The 2 spares I have appear to be both Marz Ti Grey colour code, looking back is this Marz extra firm?

I weigh 180lbs geared up, so would think I need a medium??

I don't do massive hucks etc, I'm into suppleness and speed, but want a solid mid stroke.

What do you reccomend and does anyone have a Ti one they are willing to sell?

Cheers, Dave

Quick one with the top caps, did you loosen off the pinch bolts on the top crown first?

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
Oh yeh, the top crown wasn't even on the forks! Couldn't believe how tight they were, Luke someone had gunned them on!

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 12:11 Quote
hello, i've just bought mz 380 C2R2, and I 've realised, that HSC "button" turns without "beginning or ending". Is that very serious issue? Except of that, I can not tune it properly, since I have no idea, what setting ( if there HSC works at all) is set actually. Thanks

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
palino1 wrote:
hello, i've just bought mz 380 C2R2, and I 've realised, that HSC "button" turns without "beginning or ending". Is that very serious issue? Except of that, I can not tune it properly, since I have no idea, what setting ( if there HSC works at all) is set actually. Thanks

Most likely, the thread of the compression unit shaft is busted, i know this because it happened to me.

https://activesport.co/epages/80c85f8f-7a95-4b1c-9c30-e64b314f3f2e.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80c85f8f-7a95-4b1c-9c30-e64b314f3f2e/Products/"MAZ-8037003/P"&Locale=en_GB

Here you can buy it.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 12:45 Quote
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
palino1 wrote:

Most likely, the thread of the compression unit shaft is busted, i know this because it happened to me.

https://activesport.co/epages/80c85f8f-7a95-4b1c-9c30-e64b314f3f2e.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80c85f8f-7a95-4b1c-9c30-e64b314f3f2e/Products/"MAZ-8037003/P"&Locale=en_GB

Here you can buy it.

Thanks, does the recent condition ( if you are right) somehow seriously affects the fork? Because it feels fine.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 12:56 Quote
palino1 wrote:
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
palino1 wrote:

Here you can buy it.

Thanks, does the recent condition ( if you are right) somehow seriously affects the fork? Because it feels fine.

Not really unless you want to tune the compression. I'm 110 pounds so i run the lightest spring with no preload or compression. I only tuned the rebound.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 12:59 Quote
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
palino1 wrote:
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:

Here you can buy it.

Not really unless you want to tune the compression. I'm 110 pounds so i run the lightest spring with no preload or compression. I only tuned the rebound.

I have just realised, that LSC works with starting and ending points. Is it still the same story?

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 17:31 Quote
palino1 wrote:
apatipsychonaut4 wrote:
palino1 wrote:

I have just realised, that LSC works with starting and ending points. Is it still the same story?

I would take it apart and see for myself, i think the LSC has an independent thread.

Posted: Oct 20, 2019 at 3:19 Quote
This thread mentions using a Fox 40 ti spring in the 380 a few times, and there is a reference I found about buying an adapter to use a Fox 40 spring, however the link is dead. There didn't seem to be any conclusive info on using Fox steel springs.

I recently got a 2015 380 and bought a Fox blue steel spring for it, and thought I'd clear up how I got it to work so there is an easy reference for others, as it seems the Marz springs are now becoming harder to find.

The only part stopping the Fox spring working (as it has a slightly smaller inner diameter) is the bottom out plunger cap (which I initially incorrectly thought was to do with preload. ) The cap presses into the foam bottom out bumper when the travel is compressed far enough, and it sits snug inside the spring so the rod doesn't rattle against the spring during riding.

photo

The black end plunger simply twists off.

I initially planned on shaving down the end cap, but noticed I had a synthetic wine cork in my parts drawer. As luck would have it, this fits perfectly inside the Fox spring. I cut the cork down to the same size as the original end cap, and drilled a hole half way into it to fit the rod into.

photo

Obviously not the most elegant solution, but I've tested it and it works fine.

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 16:45 Quote
kiksy wrote:
This thread mentions using a Fox 40 ti spring in the 380 a few times, and there is a reference I found about buying an adapter to use a Fox 40 spring, however the link is dead. There didn't seem to be any conclusive info on using Fox steel springs.

I recently got a 2015 380 and bought a Fox blue steel spring for it, and thought I'd clear up how I got it to work so there is an easy reference for others, as it seems the Marz springs are now becoming harder to find.

The only part stopping the Fox spring working (as it has a slightly smaller inner diameter) is the bottom out plunger cap (which I initially incorrectly thought was to do with preload. ) The cap presses into the foam bottom out bumper when the travel is compressed far enough, and it sits snug inside the spring so the rod doesn't rattle against the spring during riding.

photo

The black end plunger simply twists off.

I initially planned on shaving down the end cap, but noticed I had a synthetic wine cork in my parts drawer. As luck would have it, this fits perfectly inside the Fox spring. I cut the cork down to the same size as the original end cap, and drilled a hole half way into it to fit the rod into.

photo

Obviously not the most elegant solution, but I've tested it and it works fine.

Awesome work, I did similar a couple of years ago

I just got a flap disc on a grinder and gently ground down my stopper. I'm running a firm fox ti spring in mine. Finally a decent spring rate up front!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016235
Mobile Version of Website