Phoenix thread

PB Forum :: Pivot Cycles
Phoenix thread
O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2017 at 16:06 Quote
bighitfsr04 wrote:
I rode a Phoenix last summer size large, I also owned a Mach 6 for a season and sold it only because it was feeling small. Riding the large firebird at whistler and local trails I found that too small as well. I like short stems and 15mm - 25mm rise.

With much thought, I am going to pull the trigger on a Phoenix. Looking at the XL's how much longer are they in feeling than the firebird? I am almost 6' 1" with long arms, I ride aggressively in the cockpit and enjoy a longer bike. Does anyone here ride a XL and have feed back?

Can't tell the XL but I ride a L and it's longer than a XL Santa Cruz V10.

If you use to ride in steep and fast trails and want a real DH racing bike lets go for it but if you are more on the bike park - playful side I would stick to the Firebird or something more like a Scott Gambler

Posted: Sep 18, 2017 at 1:21 Quote
bighitfsr04 wrote:
I rode a Phoenix last summer size large, I also owned a Mach 6 for a season and sold it only because it was feeling small. Riding the large firebird at whistler and local trails I found that too small as well. I like short stems and 15mm - 25mm rise.

With much thought, I am going to pull the trigger on a Phoenix. Looking at the XL's how much longer are they in feeling than the firebird? I am almost 6' 1" with long arms, I ride aggressively in the cockpit and enjoy a longer bike. Does anyone here ride a XL and have feed back?

I am 6'2 and on an XL....I find it spot on. My ape index is +2" although that is more shoulder width than arm length. I tried running it with the 30mm stem setting and found it a bit small. I prefer the 40mm and I use a bar with little backsweep and 35mm rise.

I run it with the official DM stem which is adjustable between 30 and 40mm length....it also is nice and high so you dont have to run stem plates....Deffo for a tall guy IMO

photo

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 at 6:45 Quote
photo

Rocking a left over '15 model. Anyone else feel the schwalbe MM's roll too slow for the A-Jump lines. No brakes and still find myself pedaling at times between jumps to backside of transitions with no rotor rub and DT240's rolling smooth.

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 at 6:50 Quote
livlief wrote:
photo

Rocking a left over '15 model. Anyone else feel the schwalbe MM's roll too slow for the A-Jump lines. No brakes and still find myself pedaling at times between jumps to backside of transitions with no rotor rub and DT240's rolling smooth.

I've struggled with the same issue on magic Mary's. Once up to speed on steeper stuff they're insane but like you say - for jumps and smoother/ faster trails they're sluggish. On my Phoenix I've got minion dhr2 front and rear and for winter I'll swap the front or both depending on conditions for shortys. I've found shortys to be pretty similar to magic Mary's and the narrower version is great in the mud.

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 at 12:06 Quote
lukachadwick wrote:
livlief wrote:
photo

I've struggled with the same issue on magic Mary's. Once up to speed on steeper stuff they're insane but like you say - for jumps and smoother/ faster trails they're sluggish. On my Phoenix I've got minion dhr2 front and rear and for winter I'll swap the front or both depending on conditions for shortys. I've found shortys to be pretty similar to magic Mary's and the narrower version is great in the mud.

I feel the same, I'm going to try something else for when it's dry....

Posted: Oct 21, 2017 at 2:46 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:
livlief wrote:
photo

my absolute favourites for years now, Maxis minion dhr 2. soft composition in the front and the hard version in the back. for the enduro bike i have high roller in the back and minion dhr 2 in the front with 3c. just my suggestion

Posted: Oct 21, 2017 at 2:56 Quote
Fufi7 wrote:
Travel66 wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:

my absolute favourites for years now, Maxis minion dhr 2. soft composition in the front and the hard version in the back. for the enduro bike i have high roller in the back and minion dhr 2 in the front with 3c. just my suggestion

Yeah I'm enjoying them too. I've got super tacky front and rear just because that is what is available. Would have gone 3c but the super tackys have held up so well over summer. No wear on the front and little on the back

Posted: Oct 21, 2017 at 3:39 Quote
lukachadwick wrote:
Fufi7 wrote:
Travel66 wrote:

Yeah I'm enjoying them too. I've got super tacky front and rear just because that is what is available. Would have gone 3c but the super tackys have held up so well over summer. No wear on the front and little on the back

had supertacky ones in the back and they held like 6 Bikepark days in the Alpes. depends probably how steep it is.

Posted: Oct 21, 2017 at 4:09 Quote
Fufi7 wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:
Fufi7 wrote:

had supertacky ones in the back and they held like 6 Bikepark days in the Alpes. depends probably how steep it is.
A lot of different terrain but short tracks. 2/2.5minutes max. And not a lot of harsh braking. But still impressed.

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 14:12 Quote
Thought this would be the place to ask but has anyone done a free ride version of the Phoenix yet? I’ve found a frame for sale and was gonna use it to replace a cracked one but already have a dh bike and don’t really want two. So my idea was to but 170-180 forks onto the Phoenix, along with a larger gear ratio, better suited drivetrain and a shock with 3 position lock out. Would this work well or not worth it?

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 3:14 Quote
The Firebird is what you are looking for. You can try to limit the rear travel and put that fork in. Anyway 62.5 HA looks too agressive for freeriding

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 11:46 Quote
You can fit a dropper on it too. I reckon it’s worth a shot.

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 14:11 Quote
norfiril wrote:
The Firebird is what you are looking for. You can try to limit the rear travel and put that fork in. Anyway 62.5 HA looks too agressive for freeriding
Yeah just don’t have the money for a fire bird, it’s abour 1200 usd for the frame and it’s a 2018 frame, from one of the pivot team who went up to a large

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 14:13 Quote
And the head angle would go slightly down as the shorter fork, I’m just worried about the bb. I thought about jamming a 29er in the back to take the bb up and give it a steeper head angle at the same time, but don’t think there’s enough clearance

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 3:34 Quote
Mark-The-Mint-Man wrote:
And the head angle would go slightly down as the shorter fork, I’m just worried about the bb. I thought about jamming a 29er in the back to take the bb up and give it a steeper head angle at the same time, but don’t think there’s enough clearance

Can't answer the 29er stuff but are you sure it won't hit the frame when the shock is compressed?

The bb is so low in the normal setting. I forgot how many times my pedal hit the ground or a rock when I started riding it. Anyway limiting the travel shouldn't be a problem with that, right?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.036096
Mobile Version of Website