How to lower Argyle 318

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to lower Argyle 318
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 1:28 Quote
Dont want to sound like noob or anything, but why would you want to lower your fork like this? Surely it just screws up your frames geometry?

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 1:30 Quote
dirtjumpdan wrote:
Dont want to sound like noob or anything, but why would you want to lower your fork like this? Surely it just screws up your frames geometry?
umm im asuming its becuase of these trend whore dj rider want their bike to look l=the same as all the other..but there must be a purpose

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 1:47 Quote
because you don't always need/ want all the travel that the fork offers for street or dirtjumping

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 2:16 Quote
dirtjumpdan wrote:
most dj frames are ment for 80mm travel e.g black market frames

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 2:25 Quote
ns001 wrote:
dirtjumpdan wrote:

Fair enough Smile

Just assumed most were made for 100mm, couldnt really think of any 80mm forks besides Marzochhis dirt streets, and therefore no reason to make a frame ride at 80mm.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 8:46 Quote
dirtjumpdan wrote:
ns001 wrote:
dirtjumpdan wrote:

Fair enough Smile

Just assumed most were made for 100mm, couldnt really think of any 80mm forks besides Marzochhis dirt streets, and therefore no reason to make a frame ride at 80mm.

many frames these days are even ment for rigid forks but for people who want suspention they just use a smaller fork eg. 80mm or 60mm

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 8:58 Quote
I just think 32mm stanchions @ 80mm travel look the best and have decent rigidity. They don't look like choades (like if you were to lower a totem to 100mm) and they don't look like twigs either. (like Boxxers)

PS: I'm not hating the boxxers, I'm just saying they look a bit like twigs with 8" travel and only 32mm thickness.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 10:37 Quote
dellow wrote:
dirtjumpdan wrote:
umm im asuming its becuase of these trend whore dj rider want their bike to look l=the same as all the other..but there must be a purpose

Why do uneducated people make stupid comments like this?
Of course it's not because the 100's of serious riders on this forum are just trendwhores, that's just idiotic.
You should consider thinking about how stupid you sound before you hit the submit comment button.

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 11:59 Quote
cheapbike wrote:
I just think 32mm stanchions @ 80mm travel look the best and have decent rigidity. They don't look like choades (like if you were to lower a totem to 100mm) and they don't look like twigs either. (like Boxxers)

PS: I'm not hating the boxxers, I'm just saying they look a bit like twigs with 8" travel and only 32mm thickness.

new boxxers = not 32mm...

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 18:23 Quote
devin-m wrote:
cheapbike wrote:

new boxxers = not 32mm...

new boxxers = 35mm if I'm not mistaken... not bad... but 40mm would have been sick, even though it's not necessary to have that thick of forks.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 18:00 Quote
dirtjumpdan wrote:
it may screw up the geometry but in the end on a park or street bike the lower fork allows for both easier spinning and manuals due to the lower top tube height. It also allows you to drop your front end a lot easier in nosedive threes

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 20:21 Quote
bruiser284 wrote:
dirtjumpdan wrote:
it may screw up the geometry but in the end on a park or street bike the lower fork allows for both easier spinning and manuals due to the lower top tube height. It also allows you to drop your front end a lot easier in nosedive threes

On a lot of street/park specific frames, dropping to 80mm or lower of travel actually improves the geometry. It will make the headtube angle steeper which makes the bike snappier and handle a lot crisper.

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 14:46 Quote
So should i set my 318's to 80mm or 70mm?
Which feels better on a blkmrkt riot?

Also, the nylon washer used to soften the contact between the spring and the topcap...is that already in the forks or the box they come in? or would i have to find one?
cheers

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 14:51 Quote
its so easy!
undo them. undo the bottom bolt and knock it up so you can take the springs out. thake them out and add the ammount of spacers that you want to reduce the travel by and put it back together and do up the top.
basically.

i ride 70mm 318s because usb frames are designed for rigids or 80mm gold labels which are the equivilent to 60mm dj and around 70mm argyles. winner

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 13:02 Quote
ok Im confused. I really wanna drop my Argyle 302's to 80mm and according to this thread it can be done. And my fork even came with those white nylon spacers. But I gave fishers a call (supplier of rockshox) and they said no this cant be done. As did TF tuned. Both said that the nylon spacers are simply for adjusting preload. And that the only argyles that can be lowered are the 409s But clearly this is possible on the 302s and the 318s too coz I have seen ppls pics who have done it. So why wud they insist it isnt possible? To cover themselves incase something goes wrong?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015368
Mobile Version of Website