Shimano XT8000 vs SRAM X1

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Shimano XT8000 vs SRAM X1
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 14:04 Quote
I'm due to pick up a new bike this week complete with SRAM X1 groupset. I've always had shimano in the past and I'm thinking of selling the X1 kit and buying the XT M8000 groupset. I know the SRAM kits probably lighter but the XT kit will be cheaper to replace in the future and I think the clutch system is better on XT.
What's the general opinions on these groupsets? Cheers

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 14:16 Quote
SkipHill wrote:
I think the clutch system is better on XT.

Around 5000 km on my SB5c with Sram X1 11spd, lots of shuttle/chairlift DH days... not a single (I repeat) not a single chain drop.

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 14:44 Quote
SRAM all the way. I used to be a Shimano guy but the robust feel and bulletproof performance of SRAM 1x11 converted me. I've got GX and it's been flawless. Just like Dalek said I haven't had a single chain drop in all the pounding I've given it.

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 15:37 Quote
Cheers for the responses. It's good to hear you've both not had a problem with chain drop.

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 20:36 Quote
I rode X1 all last summer, I built up a Stylus this year and put Shimano on it. I liked the firm feel in the shifter of the X1, but I prefer everything else on Shimano. And personally I was constantly having to readjust the X1. I can't speak for retention on M8000 though cause I'm running Zee with a Chromag ring.

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 2:13 Quote
I've got a XT with clutch at the moment and I've never had to adjust it. When I snapped it I bought another for £50 but to replace a X1 mech it would be nearly £100 more. I think it's the cost of replacing SRAM that is putting me off.

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 2:33 Quote
I use a X1 GripShift shifter with my X1 1x11, you should really give this a try : it's stunningly fast and also, should it be needed, you can adjust the chain line between two gears while riding. It gets very very intuitiv.

I'm not bashing the XT here, but I think the X1 is far better than the XT. It should rather be a match against XTR.

I could almost garranty, once you go GripShift and get the feel, you won't go back to Stone Age's shifters... Pirate

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 13:23 Quote
Maybe I should be comparing it to the XTR then, but I want the 42T. I know I could use the XT cassette but I'm not sure if the XTR mech will work with it.
I've not used gripshift for a few years, have they really improved then? Not sure if these would work with the shorter levers on my XT brakes though.

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 15:28 Quote
I have SRAM X1 (trigger) with Guide R brakes on my Reign Advanced.
I have Shimano XT 8000 with XT brakes on my 5010CC.

I think they're so close to equivalent it's barely worth commenting on - XT brakes seem to have a tiny bit better initial bite. X1 seems to shift ever so slightly faster under light loads, but XT is potentially faster under load. XT has a stronger clutch, but in turn that means that XT requires significantly more force at the lever. I marginally prefer the lever ergonomics of XT. I've never dropped a chain on either.

I do prefer the look and feel of XT ever so slightly - just has a bit better quality feel to it, but the Reign is more fun than the 5010, so I spend more time on the X1.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009285
Mobile Version of Website