Enduro bike for tall people

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Enduro bike for tall people
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 26, 2016 at 10:57 Quote
Hi all,

I'm 6'5" (198 cm) and I am looking for a new enduro 29er bike with 160 mm fork. So, what are my options? Smile

I tested Specialized Enduro 29er size XL but I am not sure if the size is OK. I wish that 2017 model will be bigger Smile .

Posted: Jul 26, 2016 at 14:16 Quote
Try Transition Patrol or a Banshee Rune, both have about 20 mm longer reach.

Posted: Jul 26, 2016 at 18:56 Quote
I'm your height and have an XL YT Capra. It's comfortable but could definitely be a bit longer. I believe Mondrakers are long (but expensive).

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 9:02 Quote
I am looking for a 29er, so I will pass Transition Patrol, Banshee Rune and Mondraker too. Unfortunately I have very limited options for testing differnet types of bikes (because of limited XL test models).

Any other suggestion? Smile

FL
Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 10:09 Quote
Evil The Wreckoning seems perfect and they are pretty long.

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 11:28 Quote
MatejM wrote:
I am looking for a 29er, so I will pass Transition Patrol, Banshee Rune and Mondraker too. Unfortunately I have very limited options for testing differnet types of bikes (because of limited XL test models).

Any other suggestion? Smile

Forgot about the Nukeproof mega 290. Beast of a bike - spent a day on one, faster than my YT and destroyed high speed steep decents! I'd swap my YT for it if I could afford one..

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 11:56 Quote
I'm 6'5 as well and I found a perfect fit with my '14 Niner WFO. The new bikes announced within the last few weeks would be worth checking out. Basically the new RIP9 is now a similar geo to my WFO (it's been rumored to be replacing it?) and would be good for enduro style riding. My original plan was to ride this bike for two seasons then sell it and buy a newer one so I may be in the same boat as you for next year.

With the trend of shorter seattubes you may need to add a dropper with 170mm or more. I have 150mm and it's not enough. I have the seatpost sitting out of the frame a good 2 inches or so to get the saddle at the right height for climbing. So when it drops, it's enough to get down gnarly stuff but my crotch would prefer a bit more breathing room.

I second the Evil Wreckoning, looks like a badass bike. Turbo expensive though. Maybe even the Rocky Mountain Instinct if you can find it in an XXL. It's a bit steeper than the other options but still capable.

I had a hell of a time finding a single shop anywhere that had XL models to demo or even sit on in the shop. It was very frustrating. One shop told me they wouldn't even order a frame in unless I would be agreeing to buy it. Wtf, think I'll just fork over $5000 for something I haven't even sat on?

Check the pinkbike classifieds for xl or xxl models. I bought my bike second hand because the dude selling it was exactly my height and had put custom stuff on it for tall people. And it fit exactly right. It's a buyers market for XL+ bikes, so you could probably offer a lot less than asking. Not too many of us lanky bastards out there.

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 19:02 Quote
I'll third the Evil Wreckoning. But you might wait to see how the new trek slash is reviewed.

Posted: Aug 5, 2016 at 14:03 Quote
Thanks guys.
In a few weeks a new E29 will be relesed and I hope that I will get a test bike E29.

Is here anybody who is 6ft6 tall and riding e29?

FL
Posted: Aug 5, 2016 at 22:34 Quote
MatejM wrote:
Thanks guys.
In a few weeks a new E29 will be relesed and I hope that I will get a test bike E29.

Yeah I saw that the Enduro wasn't on Specialized's website with the other 2017 models, I'm hoping they go all out and make the enduro 29 more like a wreckoning, I'd start to consider it then...

Posted: Aug 6, 2016 at 3:51 Quote
MatejM wrote:
Thanks guys.

2017 Specialized Enduros are going to be longer than the 2016 models.

Posted: Aug 6, 2016 at 4:17 Quote
panaphonic wrote:

How much longer and is this info reliable?

2017 model will be relesed 14.8.

Posted: Aug 6, 2016 at 5:19 Quote
MatejM wrote:
panaphonic wrote:

How much longer and is this info reliable?

2017 model will be relesed 14.8.

Not majorly. Maybe around 10mm.

Posted: Aug 6, 2016 at 11:32 Quote
The new Enduro is worth a look for sure. I'd expect a Trek-style pricing right away, where only premium models are available for crazy amounts of cash. Then a cheaper version sometime next year. Just guessing but that's my theory.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017497
Mobile Version of Website