DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
Posted: Dec 7, 2023 at 9:06 Quote
Can anyone tell me if this is normal?
photo

I just bought this fork from a suspension servicing company. They did a fresh service before posting. Is this just normal excess oil escaping afte a service?

Also - how and what do you actually use these bleed ports for?

Many thanks!

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2023 at 9:39 Quote
Maxants33 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

I just bought this fork from a suspension servicing company. They did a fresh service before posting. Is this just normal excess oil escaping afte a service?

Also - how and what do you actually use these bleed ports for?

Many thanks!

Is there any oil coming from the seals, or is it all out the bleed ports?

Depending on the angle of the fork, some oil can come out of the lowers when the bleed port button is pressed, more-so if the fork is tipped upward, and if there's already some pressure that wants to be released from there. It's basically just a valve that when pressed, allows any air pressure build up inside to escape (from temperature and air pressure differences etc.). So oil from the lowers can escape, but I've only ever had a tiny amount come out. Nothing like what your's looks like. If it came out because your fork was tipped it upside down, and pressed the button a bunch, just don't do that. Only press the button when the fork is right-side-up, and has been for a little while to let the oil in the lowers flow back down. If those don't seem to be the reasons why all that oil came out, I'd contact the company you bought them from and ask them why, it could be from the seals in the valves not sealing.

Posted: Dec 7, 2023 at 11:48 Quote
mammal wrote:

Is there any oil coming from the seals, or is it all out the bleed ports?

Depending on the angle of the fork, some oil can come out of the lowers when the bleed port button is pressed, more-so if the fork is tipped upward, and if there's already some pressure that wants to be released from there. It's basically just a valve that when pressed, allows any air pressure build up inside to escape (from temperature and air pressure differences etc.). So oil from the lowers can escape, but I've only ever had a tiny amount come out. Nothing like what your's looks like. If it came out because your fork was tipped it upside down, and pressed the button a bunch, just don't do that. Only press the button when the fork is right-side-up, and has been for a little while to let the oil in the lowers flow back down. If those don't seem to be the reasons why all that oil came out, I'd contact the company you bought them from and ask them why, it could be from the seals in the valves not sealing.

Thanks Mammal. It all appeared after a trip to the pump-track. So after a round of jumping and trying out sone urban drops. Nothing at odd angles.
The supplier hasn't replied so have also messaged DVO. Mostly keen to get an answer about safety as have a super steep tech day on Sunday and am hoping the fork is safe to ride!!

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2023 at 12:03 Quote
Maxants33 wrote:

Thanks Mammal. It all appeared after a trip to the pump-track. So after a round of jumping and trying out sone urban drops. Nothing at odd angles.
The supplier hasn't replied so have also messaged DVO. Mostly keen to get an answer about safety as have a super steep tech day on Sunday and am hoping the fork is safe to ride!!

I'd say the biggest risk is if they filled the lowers with too much oil (it's only for a lubrication bath). If it's overfilled by a lot, it could lead to other more serious issue. Other than that, you want to make sure you don't contaminate the brakes. Is it doing that on both sides, or only one?

Can you give the shop a call instead of just emailing them?

Posted: Dec 7, 2023 at 12:40 Quote
mammal wrote:
I'd say the biggest risk is if they filled the lowers with too much oil (it's only for a lubrication bath). If it's overfilled by a lot, it could lead to other more serious issue. Other than that, you want to make sure you don't contaminate the brakes. Is it doing that on both sides, or only one?

Can you give the shop a call instead of just emailing them?

Good shout. I'll give them a call tomorrow, I don't want to get stuck in the hills, or worse, on Sunday. Its just on the damper side, so not near the brakes thankfully.
Many thanks!

Posted: Dec 8, 2023 at 0:40 Quote
So, DVO replied during the night. They advised check the Oring behind the bleed port.

I took both off to compare - there is no O ring on the drive side stanchion.

photo

So will ask the supplier to send me one.

I figure I could just pop a small plate of rubber (e.g 5mm x5mm of cleaned innertube) back there to seal it off so I can still ride this weekend.
Does that sound insane or reasonable?

Posted: Dec 8, 2023 at 2:29 Quote
Good news, supplier will be sending a new O ring in the post. Should be an easy fix. Its an amazing fork and freshly serviced it feels unreal. Blows my old DVO diamond out the water.

Posted: Dec 8, 2023 at 5:08 Quote
photo

Hopefully this will keep me going over the weekend tup

Posted: Dec 8, 2023 at 6:25 Quote
Maxants33 wrote:
photo

Hopefully this will keep me going over the weekend tup

That should work just fine until you get the o-ring. Nice.

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2023 at 8:20 Quote
Maxants33 wrote:
Good news, supplier will be sending a new O ring in the post. Should be an easy fix. Its an amazing fork and freshly serviced it feels unreal. Blows my old DVO diamond out the water.

Looks like a good short term fix, glad you're back in business. It doesn't lend a lot of confidence to that shop's work, but mistakes happen, and hopefully that's the only thing missing/wrong.

Posted: Dec 14, 2023 at 16:54 Quote
Hi guys, I added 4 positive volume reducers to my DVP topaz. Now it seems like I have lost 2.5mm of stroke. Is this normal for Topaz?

Posted: Dec 14, 2023 at 21:10 Quote
Fish98 wrote:
Hi guys, I added 4 positive volume reducers to my DVP topaz. Now it seems like I have lost 2.5mm of stroke. Is this normal for Topaz?

Uh, no.

But that many positive volume spacers, depending on the bike, might make the end stroke so progressive that you effectively lose the last 2.5mm of stroke.

The Topaz 50mm stroke shares the same internals as the 55mm stroke version, but there's a spacer internally to limit the stroke by 5mm. I find this super annoying because without letting all of the air out of the shock and manually bottoming it out, then marking it somehow (ziptie), it's very difficult to identify when you've consumed the full 50mm of stroke.

When I first got my Topaz I was bottoming it out much more than I should have until I realized that "bottomed out" was when the O-Ring was 5mm from the end.

Oh and just FYI, it's very common for the Topaz to need several positive spacers and a negative spacer. It's a very linear air shock without spacers. I'm gearing up to try 5+, 2- on my Stumpjumper when the weather starts to warm up.

Posted: Jan 13, 2024 at 23:57 Quote
Remonster wrote:
Fish98 wrote:

Uh, no.

But that many positive volume spacers, depending on the bike, might make the end stroke so progressive that you effectively lose the last 2.5mm of stroke.

The Topaz 50mm stroke shares the same internals as the 55mm stroke version, but there's a spacer internally to limit the stroke by 5mm. I find this super annoying because without letting all of the air out of the shock and manually bottoming it out, then marking it somehow (ziptie), it's very difficult to identify when you've consumed the full 50mm of stroke.

When I first got my Topaz I was bottoming it out much more than I should have until I realized that "bottomed out" was when the O-Ring was 5mm from the end.

Oh and just FYI, it's very common for the Topaz to need several positive spacers and a negative spacer. It's a very linear air shock without spacers. I'm gearing up to try 5+, 2- on my Stumpjumper when the weather starts to warm up.

I took out 2 tokens as I acquired a cascade link for my Ripmo. Full 55mm of stroke has been returned Smile and the bike feels way better than it did before with the 4 positive tokens.

Posted: Jan 24, 2024 at 12:46 Quote
Remonster wrote:
Fish98 wrote:
I loved mine right out of the box, but I'm also not super sensitive either.

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2024 at 13:38 Quote
Fish98 wrote:
Remonster wrote:
Fish98 wrote:

Uh, no.

I took out 2 tokens as I acquired a cascade link for my Ripmo. Full 55mm of stroke has been returned Smile and the bike feels way better than it did before with the 4 positive tokens.

That was my situation. Although I was still able to use full travel with excessive volume spacers installed, the CL allowed me to remove a couple (2 positive/0 negative), and the ramp-up was really nice. My main issue with excessive volume spacers is that it overwhelmed the rebound damping. You could either set the rebound to a reasonable amount for the first 2/3 travel (way too fast for last 1/3), or set is slower for the last 1/3 (way too slow for the first 1/3). With the cascade link, the change in leverage curve is proportional for both spring and damping forces, and everything is much more controlled.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012961
Mobile Version of Website