Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 13:18 Quote
no, grip shift is for wal mart bikes

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 13:20 Quote
if you really want some sram makes them in all of their models i.e. xo, x-9

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 13:21 Quote
downhilldog451 wrote:
can someone recomend some nice gripshifters for downhill

No gripshifters, esp. for bikes taking hits! You will break them/torque your wrists. Go for rapidfire, or something similar.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 13:22 Quote
dkidd wrote:
downhilldog451 wrote:

No gripshifters, esp. for bikes taking hits! You will break them/torque your wrists. Go for rapidfire, or something similar.
good thinkin'... i've always just hated em cause they're usually crappy and a pain in the ass if you need to change the cable

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 13:26 Quote
lilwalters wrote:
dkidd wrote:
downhilldog451 wrote:

good thinkin'... i've always just hated em cause they're usually crappy and a pain in the ass if you need to change the cable

They aren't all hard to change the cables... just dbl. wraps. (Need to take them apart to change the cable. Many older syles have 2 cables, or a cable that wraps once, and can be pulled out and exchanged externally. And, no, I can't tell you which ones, I just remember working on them.

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 16:51 Quote
Get a rohloff also a grip shifterWink

FL
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 1:05 Quote
Sram makes gripshift, they are compatible with shimano. I don't think they look as nice as they used to, The Sram Attack looks the best, but it could do with a better grip pattern and lose the bumps.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 3:05 Quote
I had an old Sram 9.0 on my bike, handy for changing gears while death gripping.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 3:16 Quote
they cause a lot of problems with space on your bar. If you're running rear only, your front brake will be so far across that you'll be holding on the bars at such an uneven level it ruins the ride.

^ Thats why i hate, if people can understand what im getting at.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 7:42 Quote
when i first started mountain biking my bike came with grip shifters and there were a lot of accidental shifts. i would get into a sketchy section and shift up or down a couple times on accident. i never did like them very much.

FL
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 7:49 Quote
I run sram 9.0 on my bike, I run it on the left hand though (front brake) cause I figure I am almost always feathering the rear brake in turns and stuff, this lets me shift into the next required gear while feathering the rear brake out of or into the turn or whatever. Works awesome, definitely give it a try.

nate

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 7:53 Quote
DONT use that on a DH bike,because fisrt you may slip your hand accidentely when the going gets tough because it will turn on you,also it take almost a mile of space on the handlebar so you brake lever set up is not optimum,in my oppignon more vulnerable to crash.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 7:59 Quote
racerforever wrote:
DONT use that on a DH bike,because fisrt you may slip your hand accidentely when the going gets tough because it will turn on you,also it take almost a mile of space on the handlebar so you brake lever set up is not optimum,in my oppignon more vulnerable to crash.
seriously dont do it.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 7:59 Quote
Exactly what nate said is true.

And Just to clear the air of BS:

I have never had issues with mis-shifts or breaking them on big hits, thats just pure rubbish from people that don't have a clue. This being the same person that says they are a pain to change cables in.....so untrue....that was the old x-rays back in the 90's, the new X-0 grips are a dream to work on. Oh and older style with two cables.....NEVER EXISTED....that is a rolhoff system....totally different. You better stop working on bikes, people are getting worried about your abilities and memories.

As for room on the bar.....well with bars between 28 and 31 inches.....you've got plenty of room.

You have to try it before you knock it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012836
Mobile Version of Website