2018 RM Instinct

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Instinct
O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 12:41 Quote
Are you guys finding the bike to be pretty playful? I love the setup and MtbYumYum raved about the bike as an all around slightly aggressive trail bike the climbs exceptionally well too. I'm wondering if the extra length makes it less playful and flickable tho? Does it jump pretty well etc? I don't need warp speeds but more so just a fun bike that fits my 6-4,190lbs size. Hoping to hear from you guys that actually found one and have some miles on it. Congrats!

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 23:40 Quote
Svinyard wrote:
Are you guys finding the bike to be pretty playful? I love the setup and MtbYumYum raved about the bike as an all around slightly aggressive trail bike the climbs exceptionally well too. I'm wondering if the extra length makes it less playful and flickable tho? Does it jump pretty well etc? I don't need warp speeds but more so just a fun bike that fits my 6-4,190lbs size. Hoping to hear from you guys that actually found one and have some miles on it. Congrats!

I would say it is a really playful bike. My YT Capra had a really planted feel and not so playful, but coming over to the Instinct which seems to me so much more poppy and easy to jump. I don't know if it is the weight, I have a Carbon 70 model, which is really light or the great geometry. Haven't tried the aluminium model so I can't compare.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2018 at 14:14 Quote
Thanks Steinmar!

Hi guys, for those that have ridden the Instinct (preferably the Carbon 70), how's the small bump sensitivity with the Fox Dps? Does it do well on some of the the downhill chunk too? Everything I've seen shows it climbing like a fast 120mm bike. Pretty unreal for a 140mm bike and all that adjustment. Just need to find a demo finally!

Thanks,
Steve

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 6:44 Quote
Svinyard wrote:
Thanks Steinmar!

Hi guys, for those that have ridden the Instinct (preferably the Carbon 70), how's the small bump sensitivity with the Fox Dps? Does it do well on some of the the downhill chunk too? Everything I've seen shows it climbing like a fast 120mm bike. Pretty unreal for a 140mm bike and all that adjustment. Just need to find a demo finally!

Thanks,
Steve

No problem Sveinyerd Smile

Yep, the bike is really nice to ride through chunk because it tracks the ground really good...the 29er wheels help a lot.

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 13:23 Quote
Anyone interested in a BC Edition Linkage and Fox Factory X2 that matches? It's all incredibly mint. I'm building a 140mm bike and would like to keep it but the wife is (smartly) keeping a firm top end to my budget.

This allows you to convert a "normal" 140mm Instinct back and forth to the BC Edition 155mm with a quick swap of the link and shock.

FL
Posted: Mar 20, 2018 at 17:41 Quote
Svinyard wrote:
Anyone interested in a BC Edition Linkage and Fox Factory X2 that matches? It's all incredibly mint. I'm building a 140mm bike and would like to keep it but the wife is (smartly) keeping a firm top end to my budget.

How much? PM me back.

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 at 2:36 Quote
so I am considering buying a Cane Creek DB Air IL for my Instinct C70.
Does anyone have any ide which shock mounting hardware do I need to buy? Since the shock has some bushing mountings and the standard Fox DPS shock has bearings.

Posted: May 15, 2018 at 9:37 Quote
Svinyard wrote:

This allows you to convert a "normal" 140mm Instinct back and forth to the BC Edition 155mm with a quick swap of the link and shock.

Is it true that the Ride-9 linkage in the slackest position will accommodate the longer shock as well, or do you need the BC edition fixed linkage?

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 16:15 Quote
I have some creaking popping noise coming from my ride-9 pivot. Does anyone occasionally grease up the squares and the linkage, and if you do, what kind of grease do you use? I want to get rid of the noise while not attracting too much dust.

FL
Posted: Aug 20, 2018 at 20:00 Quote
fuggerz wrote:
I have some creaking popping noise coming from my ride-9 pivot. Does anyone occasionally grease up the squares and the linkage, and if you do, what kind of grease do you use? I want to get rid of the noise while not attracting too much dust.

assuming you've already sorted this.... but... on my altitude I just run some assembly lubricant around the metal interfraces of the ride 9 and it works a treat.

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 6:38 Quote
I just joined the RM family with Alloy 50 Instinct!
I can't say enough about how fun this bike is to ride! I really didn't expect a 29'er could so playful for a short guy like myself, but it feels so natural, like I've been riding it for years.
Side note: I know wit comes with a dropper, but the 150mm was too long and the 125mm should be in this week.

photo

FL
Posted: Sep 2, 2018 at 19:51 Quote
Alrighty,

Instinct BC vs. Mini BC ie. Instinct with a dpx2 or cc inline etc. and a 150mm 36"

whats everyone's thoughts? Anyone running a regular instinct with hopped up suspension?

Thinking of making the jump from my altitude to the big wheels. Most of my trails are fairly mellow, raw singletrack etc. however I regularly ride terrain that most of my friends won't ride unless they have a DH bike. I went for altitude over slayer as I prefer a fairly manageable and agile bike.

Posted: Sep 29, 2018 at 10:19 Quote
So just finished my ride and noticed my frame has a little play in it when you raise it with your hand from the ground.
I checked all the bolts and it seams that it's the axel that goes through the upper shock mount. Like the frame has a slightly bigger hole that the diameter of the axel and this causes the play.
Does anyone else have the same experience? This is on C70 Instinct

FL
Posted: Oct 26, 2018 at 4:48 Quote
For anyone interested, I just fitted an offset bushing to my 2018 Instinct BC edition and it dropped the BB height by 5-6mm. Will report back on how it rides after the weekend.

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 4:37 Quote
howie286 wrote:
Alrighty,

Instinct BC vs. Mini BC ie. Instinct with a dpx2 or cc inline etc. and a 150mm 36"

whats everyone's thoughts? Anyone running a regular instinct with hopped up suspension?

Thinking of making the jump from my altitude to the big wheels. Most of my trails are fairly mellow, raw singletrack etc. however I regularly ride terrain that most of my friends won't ride unless they have a DH bike. I went for altitude over slayer as I prefer a fairly manageable and agile bike.

Did you make any progress on this? I'm pulling the trigger on a super sale instinct and wanna put a 160 36 coil converted by push Industries on the front. I'm running an xl so figure it won't effect the head angle much and should maintain the business in the back but give me the party in the front I'm needing, also at 100kg the 34 has just never been stout enough for me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023997
Mobile Version of Website