Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 14:27 Quote
Anyone running a 32mm stem on their 120? Just trying one out compared to my 40mm. Not sure I like it as much, or maybe I just need to get used to it.

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 21:39 Quote
TIMMY12 wrote:
Anyone running a 32mm stem on their 120? Just trying one out compared to my 40mm. Not sure I like it as much, or maybe I just need to get used to it.

I'm running a 31mm Renthal on my Large 120. A bit shorter cockpit, quicker and bit more direct steering. Used to run a 50mm Renthal.

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 7:59 Quote
Hi all, quick question for UK members with regards to insuring your Bird please. I have just tried to add my new 120 (worth circa £3000) to my home and contents insurance but the underwriters refused it. A quick google search suggests circa £18/month, which seems high? Maybe not? Might anyone recommend an insurer/give me some advice please?Note that I am looking for theft and damage cover more than anything. My bike is locked to an anchor point at home. I ride only recreationally in the UK. Cheers

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 8:47 Quote
hi garbzuk - my house & contents insurance with Halifax had pedal bike cover as an add on and I think it was an additional £20 for the year, or thereabouts. That included any number of bikes up to a value of £3K per bike I think...
I'll double check for you tonight.

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 12:33 Quote
garbzuk wrote:
Hi all, quick question for UK members with regards to insuring your Bird please. I have just tried to add my new 120 (worth circa £3000) to my home and contents insurance but the underwriters refused it. A quick google search suggests circa £18/month, which seems high? Maybe not? Might anyone recommend an insurer/give me some advice please?Note that I am looking for theft and damage cover more than anything. My bike is locked to an anchor point at home. I ride only recreationally in the UK. Cheers

Try Pedal Cover, its home insurance run by cyclists that covers bikes as well. £9k's worth of bikes from memory and you don't have to keep updating them each time you change bike (and getting charged an admin fee which happened to me on my old house insurance).

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 12:42 Quote
Any of you guys tried a coil shock on your AM9?

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 13:50 Quote
er043 wrote:
Any of you guys tried a coil shock on your AM9?

Not tried but spoke with Bird about fitting one and they said no issue...reason they don’t offer is due to ‘how good the air shocks are’

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 23:02 Quote
Cheers. Very tempting to try an ohlins ttx22... Seems like it would be ok for clearance on the larger frames. Just not sure about the spring curve. Not that I've had many issues with air apart from durability but maybe have to try a coil because the grass is always greener obviously!

Posted: Aug 24, 2018 at 10:56 Quote
Any Aeris 145 LT owners around 181cm tall, what size do you ride? I'm changing from a medium Reign so the ML and L will both be a step up in reach/stack etc

Posted: Aug 24, 2018 at 13:18 Quote
I'm a tad taller than you and tried both sizes, ended up with an ML although they recommend L for me I felt it was a tad long. However, go and demo one for the day to try yourself

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 16:10 Quote
Hi guys! I have ridden my xl am9 for about 4 rides. The first 3 rides where on my mellow local trails and the bike felt quite good at first. Still, very different from my Jeffsy. Today I went full Enduro and man I'm not happy with the bike.I wonder if it's not too long? Tight corners are definitely more challenging. I feel I was faster on my trail bike. I'm a bit discouraged. Had a big crash couple of weeks ago so I know that I'm a bit more careful. Did you guys encounters trouble adapting to your bird? I really feel it might be too long. I have a 51offset fork with a 50mm stem and 820 mm handlebar. I'm 6'4". Should I shorten the stem? Should I ride more in the middle of the bike? Thanks for your help feedback guys.

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 23:30 Quote
welric wrote:
Hi guys! I have ridden my xl am9 for about 4 rides. The first 3 rides where on my mellow local trails and the bike felt quite good at first. Still, very different from my Jeffsy. Today I went full Enduro and man I'm not happy with the bike.I wonder if it's not too long? Tight corners are definitely more challenging. I feel I was faster on my trail bike. I'm a bit discouraged. Had a big crash couple of weeks ago so I know that I'm a bit more careful. Did you guys encounters trouble adapting to your bird? I really feel it might be too long. I have a 51offset fork with a 50mm stem and 820 mm handlebar. I'm 6'4". Should I shorten the stem? Should I ride more in the middle of the bike? Thanks for your help feedback guys.

I’m 6’3” with an AM9 XL. I’ve gone with a 32mm stem and the 46mm offset on a MRP Ribbon. My AM9 is the best handling bike I’ve ever ridden! I’m bike mechanic by trade and have ridden loads of bikes. It’s so fast and stable, plus it corners better than even my 26” hardtail. I’m running 820mm on my bar too. Definitely get a much shorter stem, plus you can reduce the fork offset too, if you can, that bike should come alive then. I would also recommend looking at you suspension set up. Especially the rear can. Try 30%-35% sag. That made my bike really fly too.

Posted: Aug 29, 2018 at 13:52 Quote
50mm stem does sound long when the bike is so slack and your running 820mm bars. I'm running a 40mm with 770/780mm bars on my 120. Tried 32mm but just didn't get on with it but my head angle is a lot steeper than the AM9.

I found that with the Bird bikes and I have read other people saying this too, you do have to change your riding style a bit if your coming from a shorter bike. You have to ride more towards the front. It may feel a bit odd at first but once you get used to it you end up with so much confidence in the front end of the bike.

Posted: Aug 29, 2018 at 20:42 Quote
Ozak42 wrote:
welric wrote:

I’m 6’3” with an AM9 XL. I’ve gone with a 32mm stem and the 46mm offset on a MRP Ribbon. My AM9 is the best handling bike I’ve ever ridden! I’m bike mechanic by trade and have ridden loads of bikes. It’s so fast and stable, plus it corners better than even my 26” hardtail. I’m running 820mm on my bar too. Definitely get a much shorter stem, plus you can reduce the fork offset too, if you can, that bike should come alive then. I would also recommend looking at you suspension set up. Especially the rear can. Try 30%-35% sag. That made my bike really fly too.
Unfortunately I have a dvo diamond boost and as far as I know it can't be change to a shorter offset. I might try a 40mm stem. 32 seems like very short no? As other mention maybe I should ride more on the front of the bike.

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2018 at 22:28 Quote
welric wrote:
Ozak42 wrote:
welric wrote:

Unfortunately I have a dvo diamond boost and as far as I know it can't be change to a shorter offset. I might try a 40mm stem. 32 seems like very short no? As other mention maybe I should ride more on the front of the bike.

I went from a 50mm on my former large Zero AM to a 31mm and right away got the response I was looking for. Before it behaved a bit ferry like when in tight techy trails.
I moved the 31mm to my Aeris 120 which is a bit longer but feels perfect.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012831
Mobile Version of Website