Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 14:42 Quote
Indeed! not thought of that! Cheers - that's put that one to bed. Suppose we'll just see what Bird produce down the line ;-)

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
I've got an AM9 on order, which I'm expecting will arrive just in time for the total lockdown! I've enjoyed reading through this thread, it's incredibly informative.

I'm not as totally committed a rider as many of you seem to be (e.g coils and full-face), my build is more of a "trail bike on steroids" as I've seen the slightly lighter spec's described. I'll post pics when it arrives.

I'm loving the option to swap out the linkage, even though the RRR might suit me a bit better I am keen to see what it's like with the standard. My previous bikes (a 26" stumpy and a 29" spectral) were a bit soggy in the pedalling department and required constant fiddling with the shock mid-ride. I'm looking forward to streamlining the riding experience.

I see that the next gen is cleared for 160 forks which is not an issue for me, but I just know that this thread will then fill up with people wanting to use 170mm forks!

Aside from the supplied linkage and fork rating, are there any other changes we know about?

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 11:28 Quote
Hello very close to getting a 145.
But I'm still stuck on size. I've ridden both the large and the extra large and couldn't tell what was best. I'm just over 6'1" and will probably be 6'2.5" when I stop growing. Ive got long arms and legs but a short torso. I know the bike size topic is personal preference. But would you recommend an xl or an l for me?

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 11:49 Quote
Connie2003,

Short torso and long limbs mean you can use a longer stem than most people, so a Large with 50 mm or 60 mm stem would feel to you as a shorter stem would feel to someone with short limbs.

Depends on your trails. If the trails for which you want to optimize the bike - maybe these are your local trails or your favourite trails from farther away - are steep, open, and fast, you'll definitely prefer the XL. If the trails for which you want to optimize the bike are flat, tight, and slow, you'll definitely prefer the Large. If they're somewhere in between, you could go either way.

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 12:29 Quote
Would want to run a 45mm stem at maximum with 780-800mm bars. Prefer my bikes to be playful. But keep a decent amount of tech plough capabilities. So I suppose a compromise between playful and bulldozer. The local is swinley so not steep and not very rough. I kind of think a large? Would you agree even though I am likely to be just over 6'2"? Also is there a viable difference between the 145 linkage and the 160 linkage? Also will a 200mm dropper be able to be slammed in the large frame?

Cheers

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 12:44 Quote
Connie2003 wrote:
Would want to run a 45mm stem at maximum

I understand "long" stems are terribly unfashionable, but if your arms are uncommonly long, they make sense. There's no reason a short person and a tall person, with such a difference in arm length, should be on the same stem length. Don't rule out a stem at or slightly over 50 mm.

Connie2003 wrote:
So I suppose a compromise between playful and bulldozer.

Yes, we all do, but compromises are inevitable!

Connie2003 wrote:
The local is swinley so not steep and not very rough. I kind of think a large? Would you agree even though I am likely to be just over 6'2"?

Either would be reasonable. I like big bikes, so I would go XL in your place, but some of that is because my trails tend to be quite fast. Other people in your place would probably prefer the Large. I'm 6' with slightly short arms and I rode the Large.

Connie2003 wrote:
Also is there a viable difference between the 145 linkage and the 160 linkage?

Yes. I have a spare 145 link I can sell, so you can have both bikes for a few dollars!

Connie2003 wrote:
Also will a 200mm dropper be able to be slammed in the large frame?

Yes. Straight seat-tube, so there's loads of room.

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
The thing with my arms is more the length compared to torso. Wing span is about 6 foot. Height currently is 6 foot 1. The combination of a short body and long legs. Makes my arms look very long.

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 at 18:21 Quote
Connie2003 wrote:
The thing with my arms is more the length compared to torso. Wing span is about 6 foot. Height currently is 6 foot 1. The combination of a short body and long legs. Makes my arms look very long.

So you have a negative "ape index" (arms shorter than height). I assumed you meant your arms were especially long, creating a positive ape index. In this case, a typical stem length is fine. Your torso must be really short, which suggest a Large and a very high rise bar.

You may want to have some measurements taken to understand your proportions more thoroughly. Maybe you're more typical than you think! Or maybe you really do have some uncommon measurements and need to give additional thought to how to set up your bike for your body.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 7:29 Quote
Finaly rdy to enjoy this beaut
AM9 *RRR*

photo

photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 10:56 Quote
Arierep wrote:
V3?

Should be a V2 but with the RRR linkage and some decal removal

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 12:44 Quote
By the way, anyone knows what actually changes on the V3 besides the RRR link?

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 4:17 Quote
I believe the v3 has a slightly shorter seattube

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 8:43 Quote
Right I've got some measurements now. So I'm 6'1.25" tall. I have a wingspan of 6'5". Inside leg of 3'1.5". Torso of 17" and and out leg( floor to top of hip 47". I'm still growing so will probably end up about 6'2"

Would you recomend an aeris 145 in Extra large or Large?

Cheers

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
If these numbers are correct, your leg length is extremely long for your height and your torso length is typical for a rather short male. Two things come to mind:

• These measurements could be a bit off.
• You may grow more than you think. The spine grows more slowly than the limbs, so you may "grow into" those limbs, which could add quite a bit to your torso.

If these measurements are correct, the better size would be a Large - or even a Medium-Large - with a VERY long stem and a bar with considerable rise. If your torso grows to match your limbs, then all bets are off.

I'm not fully comfortable with these numbers, so I recommend you take a spin - even around the parking lot - on bikes with similar geometry to see what feels better.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016529
Mobile Version of Website