What is to Light?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What is to Light?
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 20:30 Quote
poozank wrote:
jonlake wrote:
what? the demos are DH capable, but are not completely geared towards DH like the socom for example, the demo is more like the session10 can be used for DH but is just as at home out in the woods hucking.
demo 8 2 http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Demo definatly for racing

It may have allot of parts that are great for racing, but the frame itself(which is the only part we're worried about) is more suited to freeriding then racing.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 20:33 Quote
poozank wrote:
jonlake wrote:
what? the demos are DH capable, but are not completely geared towards DH like the socom for example, the demo is more like the session10 can be used for DH but is just as at home out in the woods hucking.
demo 8 2 http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Demo definatly for racing

I see what you mean, but how could it be, "definatly for racing" when it has the exact same geometry as the freeride bikes but instead it has some racing parts?

EDIT: this was written right after the one above.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 20:35 Quote
heavymike wrote:
poozank wrote:
jonlake wrote:

I see what you mean, but how could it be, "definatly for racing" when it has the exact same geometry as the freeride bikes but instead it has some racing parts?

ok well when comparing the geometry of the demo with that of the demo and the v10 and glory. the numbers are all within decimals from eachother ?

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 20:36 Quote
heavymike wrote:
poozank wrote:
jonlake wrote:

okay id call it fr but dh mostly

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 20:37 Quote
well you still have to look at shock leverage ratioss and overall suspension design

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 20:40 Quote
majordamage wrote:
i think keith bontrager said it best "light, cheep, and durable.....pick two"

that doesnt really make sense.... cheap + light...? uh.. no. durable + light... not really... durable + cheap.. pretty much the only plausible one...

it should be " cheap, light, durable. pick one."

to me anyways...

kylechs5 wrote:
well you still have to look at shock leverage ratioss and overall suspension design

and wat do you mean by leverage ratios?

kylechs5 wrote:
well design is centered under rider low bb favors corners slack geo wide bars those are preety dh caracteristics tho it could be used for fr

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 20:41 Quote
g10ry wrote:
heavymike wrote:
poozank wrote:

ok well when comparing the geometry of the demo with that of the demo and the v10 and glory. the numbers are all within decimals from eachother ?

There's no one huge difference between a freeride and a dh bike, just a bunch of subtle changes that can make or break the ride of the bike.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 20:42 Quote
redridesrule wrote:
majordamage wrote:
i think keith bontrager said it best "light, cheep, and durable.....pick two"

that doesnt really make sense.... cheap + light...? uh.. no. durable + light... not really... durable + cheap.. pretty much the only plausible one...

it should be " cheap, light, durable. pick one."

to me anyways...
it was light cheap strong pick too and you can easily have light strong parts but they come with a price as stated. look at Ti and all the carbon bits floating around for a lazy example

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 21:30 Quote
g10ry wrote:
kylechs5 wrote:

and wat do you mean by leverage ratios?

its the ratio of the bikes travel relative to the shocks stroke length so if you bike has 6 inches of travle and the shock has 3 inches of stroke the leverage ratio would be 2:1 and the lower the top number the better the shock performs and feels thats why those monster hucker bikes that have like 12 inches of travel feel like shit cause the leverage ratio is like 4 to 1 if they have 3 inches stroke and the shock just cant perform the way its meant to.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 22:02 Quote
Dude, did i read that you are limited by what the LBS has? Man you got six grand to spend. YOU are driving this ship. If its a Socom you want or Orange or for that matter a K2 Flying monkey then thats what you should get. You should not feel limited by your LBS's limitations. Obviously it your call and the only influence should be the net result of your research.

Akunimatata

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 22:11 Quote
cutsz wrote:
Dude, did i read that you are limited by what the LBS has? Man you got six grand to spend. YOU are driving this ship. If its a Socom you want or Orange or for that matter a K2 Flying monkey then thats what you should get. You should not feel limited by your LBS's limitations. Obviously it your call and the only influence should be the net result of your research.

Akunimatata

I think he said that the insurance company that's giving him the 6 grand for his stolen bike is only making the money payable to the shop he works at. So doesn't have the option of going through another place.

But I don't see why his shop can't just call up the distobuters get which ever frame he wants for him.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 22:12 Quote
s-t-e-v-e wrote:
cutsz wrote:

Akunimatata

I think he said that the insurance company that's giving him the 6 grand for his stolen bike is only making the money paable to the shop he works at. So doesn't have the option of going through another place.

But I don't see why his shop can't just call up the distobuters get which ever frame he wants for him.

Agreed.

Posted: Mar 2, 2008 at 19:26 Quote
Im starting to count some grams on a few products I just order so can anyone tell me the weight of a e13 supercharger 36t. I cant find it anywhere. thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021171
Mobile Version of Website