What is the purpose of the plastic cassette guard?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What is the purpose of the plastic cassette guard?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 9:37 Quote
i recently took my bike in to a shop to have the back wheel retrued. the guy forgot to put back on the plastic guard that goes between the cassette and the hub (i think thast what its called Confused ). what is the purpose of that piece of plastic and do i rly need it?

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 9:43 Quote
its for breaking off before you ride it the first time. Its to keep the chain from falling between the cassette and the spokes/hub.

if your derailuers are set up ok you wont need it. I break them off or dont put them on. Only my old schwinn has one i left it on as a joke.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 9:43 Quote
No you dont need it, youd never really be pedaling hard and going fast enough for it to matter in that gear anyway.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 9:44 Quote
my real concern is that now the backside of the cassette is exposed, and that dirt and crap will get stuck in there. im wondering if having the guard on tehre will stop some of the dirt from getting in there

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 9:51 Quote
noone bike has those i dont think u need to worry.
its not a dirt shield. dirt will get in there no matter what

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 9:58 Quote
You don't need that plastic guard. Like it was stated, dirt will still get back behind the cassette. Having that on your bike is like still having the reflectors on the wheels and pedals of your bike. You're good to go without it.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 10:48 Quote
It will prevent your chain from destroying your spokes and possibly hub if the rear der is out of adjustment. I say run without it but first do this: Shift into your granny ring and largest cog. Once in the gear push the rear shifter as if you were going to shift to a lower gear. Does the deraileur move in toward the spokes even farther and then settle back once you let off pressure on the shifter? If it didn't move any more after already being in gear then you know the low limit screw is making contact. Good start. If it did move farther toward the spokes the limit screw is way off and you're headed for disaster. Here's how to set that screw. Look where the chain leaves the deraileur pulley and meets the cog. Turn the low limit screw till the cog teeth to make contact with the very center of the chain rollers. Now the only way the chain can get in the spokes is if you smash the derailer on a rock.

P.S. All this is in the setup instructions that come with a new rear deraileur.

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 8:42 Quote
is there a way to get rid of the plastic without taking off the cassette??

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 8:47 Quote
madbikertom wrote:
is there a way to get rid of the plastic without taking off the cassette??

break it

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 8:50 Quote
hit it with a hammer Joker

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 8:53 Quote
i tried everything nothing worked.
Madder Madder

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 9:01 Quote
Bend it back and forth a few times until the plastic gets weak.

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 9:02 Quote
Get a lighter and a screwdriver, Heat the end of the screwdriver until it glow's red, melt through the plastic guard, Repeat until you can pull it off.

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 9:28 Quote
nothin works
anything else ?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010723
Mobile Version of Website