All Things Meta 29er!

PB Forum :: Commencal
All Things Meta 29er!
O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 17:05 Quote
brentwhipple wrote:
Can anyone compare the 2021 Meta ride to the new Nukeproof mega alloy spec? Same price, mega has 2 pot deore brakes while nukeproof has the 4, mega comes with a zeb while nukeproof has a yari? Not sure which is the better buy for $2700.

Keep in mind chain reaction shipping for a bike overseas is through the roof. To Canada it's over $1k. Not sure about the US

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 19:29 Quote
mikaeljc wrote:
brentwhipple wrote:
Can anyone compare the 2021 Meta ride to the new Nukeproof mega alloy spec? Same price, mega has 2 pot deore brakes while nukeproof has the 4, mega comes with a zeb while nukeproof has a yari? Not sure which is the better buy for $2700.

I upgraded the Yari with a rc2 damper (300 euro) thus making it lyrik ultimate and a mt520 4-piston caliper (50 euro).

After adding the damper does it feel better enough to justify the 300 in your opinion?

Posted: Nov 8, 2020 at 13:51 Quote
Here's mine. Been riding it for about a month now and very impressed coming from a Slash 29.
Full custom build. New 36's are awesome too.
photo

Posted: Nov 8, 2020 at 14:05 Quote
Badgerbonce wrote:
Here's mine. Been riding it for about a month now and very impressed coming from a Slash 29.
Full custom build. New 36's are awesome too.
photo

Thats hot. Really hot.

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 0:18 Quote
Looks good mate. Hows wsthe coil on it?

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 6:45 Quote
Do any of you ride your 2021 meta on DH tracks or in the bike park? Specifically double black tech trails. Currently I have 2 bikes. A 2015 Scott gambler and 2018 specialized Enduro. I'm considering replacing both with the ohlins meta and using it in the bike park. I typically ride 15 to 20 days a year in the park on my gambler. Other option would be to keep my enduro and buy a supreme. Thoughts?

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 7:21 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Do any of you ride your 2021 meta on DH tracks or in the bike park? Specifically double black tech trails. Currently I have 2 bikes. A 2015 Scott gambler and 2018 specialized Enduro. I'm considering replacing both with the ohlins meta and using it in the bike park. I typically ride 15 to 20 days a year in the park on my gambler. Other option would be to keep my enduro and buy a supreme. Thoughts?

I have a 2021 TR Race. I spent a fair bit of time at Hafjell in it and it was OK - a bit outgunned, definitely not in terms of geometry, just travel. The roots and rocks were OK, but the braking bumps were just draining. Personally I'm not a big fan of the coil, I'd prefer air so I don't have to have a bunch of coils.

Would be better on the AM with the extra travel I guess.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
I’m in the middle of building up a 2021 meta AM 29 and intend on riding everything with it( in Ontario mind you) and think it’ll be perfect, but I can’t see it being much different than your enduro. Not being familiar with the enduro geometry, I’d guess the meta is likely a little longer reach and slightly slacker head angle, but if you wouldn’t want to use the enduro for everything you ride, then you probably wouldn’t want the meta for it either?

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 9:51 Quote
ryan198232 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
I’m in the middle of building up a 2021 meta AM 29 and intend on riding everything with it( in Ontario mind you) and think it’ll be perfect, but I can’t see it being much different than your enduro. Not being familiar with the enduro geometry, I’d guess the meta is likely a little longer reach and slightly slacker head angle, but if you wouldn’t want to use the enduro for everything you ride, then you probably wouldn’t want the meta for it either?

Thanks for the info. The only reason I don't ride my enduro in the park is because it's the full carbon model. Wheels, cranks, bars, everything. It's just too stiff for all day park riding. It's also a small (I should have bought medium) so the short reach and wheelbase feels unstable at high speeds. I had my gambler first as I used to be a park rat but then started riding trails outside the park so I bought the Enduro. Maintaining 2 bikes is very expensive. I don't think it's worth it. I figure a 29 meta with the new geometry and coil would be perfect to replace both

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 11:18 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
ryan198232 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Thanks for the info. The only reason I don't ride my enduro in the park is because it's the full carbon model. Wheels, cranks, bars, everything. It's just too stiff for all day park riding. It's also a small (I should have bought medium) so the short reach and wheelbase feels unstable at high speeds. I had my gambler first as I used to be a park rat but then started riding trails outside the park so I bought the Enduro. Maintaining 2 bikes is very expensive. I don't think it's worth it. I figure a 29 meta with the new geometry and coil would be perfect to replace both

That makes perfect sense! I searched the enduro geo and it’s definitely not as aggressive as the meta. I wish I had some seat time on mine to give an actual opinion about handling, but on paper, it should be an awesome bike

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:

Worth thinking about sizing, as I recall you posted a little while back about your reservations about the overall length/sizing (memorable In Deep profile pic!)

I've had my Meta AM Large for about 3 months now, with ~600km on it around the lower mainland. I absolutely love it and it's helped me progress my riding significantly. However, even at 6' tall, I feel like I could have almost sized down to a Medium while retaining most if not all of the high-speed stability while getting a bit more balanced handling.

Looked up the 2018 Enduros. Conveniently the chainstay lengths are identical to the Meta AM at 433mm. The overall length of the small Meta AM (1231mm) would put it between the L and XL sizes, so you'd be going up the equivalent of ~2.5 sizes from your small Enduro. Just food for thought. I'm sure you can adapt, but depends on whether you like straight-line plowing or more finesse.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 12:40 Quote
Did
ryan198232 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
ryan198232 wrote:

That makes perfect sense! I searched the enduro geo and it’s definitely not as aggressive as the meta. I wish I had some seat time on mine to give an actual opinion about handling, but on paper, it should be an awesome bike

Confident the 2021 Meta AM will handle both of your use cases just fine. I was on a 2018 27.5 Meta and wouldn't have said the same for it, but the 29 wheels/updated geo just rips. Pretty hard to find it's limit unless you're on a DH track at race speed.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 13:42 Quote
Hi guys, i'm building up a really similar setup as you. On the dropper front, any idea on the insertion length in the seat tube? Mine will be a large frame. Might get the PNW rainer and just wondering if i can fit a 200mm in and then shim it down as i want (upto 30mm range) . lovely build btw. cheers
Spangle123 wrote:
dirtrider121 wrote:
Got mine built up and rode Saturday on it. A lot of it is from my old trek Slash that I slowly upgraded.

Pretty much my ideal build:
Meta tr large
Lyrik ultimate 160mm
Rs super deluxe
Xt drivetrain
Stan's flows on hope tech4
Code rec'd
One-up V2 dropper
Renthal bars
Mondraker 32mm stem
Nukeproof Sam hill enduro pedals
Fabric seat

photo

Very nice! This is pretty much my exact build as well. I've got hunt trail wide wheels and a super deluxe coil but other than near enough the same. Out of interest what length drop did you go for on the oneup and how tall are you? I went for the 210 and will shim it down to 190 but i'm slightly nervous i've gone too long. I'm 6ft.

Also what bottle cage is that and did you mount on the standard mounts? I've seen a lot of chat about people dropping it down with the wolftooth B-rad adapter to avoid the bottle clashing with the piggy back.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 13:55 Quote
IfanEmlyn wrote:
Hi guys, i'm building up a really similar setup as you. On the dropper front, any idea on the insertion length in the seat tube? Mine will be a large frame. Might get the PNW rainer and just wondering if i can fit a 200mm in and then shim it down as i want (upto 30mm range) . lovely build btw. cheers
I’m in the middle of building my large AM up and can’t fully sink a 200mm dropper in. It will fit all the way in, until you add the cable housing which hits the cross section that the pivot is connected to. There’s about 1” of post exposed with the cable and housing attached.

Spangle123 wrote:
dirtrider121 wrote:
Got mine built up and rode Saturday on it. A lot of it is from my old trek Slash that I slowly upgraded.

Pretty much my ideal build:
Meta tr large
Lyrik ultimate 160mm
Rs super deluxe
Xt drivetrain
Stan's flows on hope tech4
Code rec'd
One-up V2 dropper
Renthal bars
Mondraker 32mm stem
Nukeproof Sam hill enduro pedals
Fabric seat

photo

Very nice! This is pretty much my exact build as well. I've got hunt trail wide wheels and a super deluxe coil but other than near enough the same. Out of interest what length drop did you go for on the oneup and how tall are you? I went for the 210 and will shim it down to 190 but i'm slightly nervous i've gone too long. I'm 6ft.

Also what bottle cage is that and did you mount on the standard mounts? I've seen a lot of chat about people dropping it down with the wolftooth B-rad adapter to avoid the bottle clashing with the piggy back.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 17:35 Quote
CaMKii wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Worth thinking about sizing, as I recall you posted a little while back about your reservations about the overall length/sizing (memorable In Deep profile pic!)

I've had my Meta AM Large for about 3 months now, with ~600km on it around the lower mainland. I absolutely love it and it's helped me progress my riding significantly. However, even at 6' tall, I feel like I could have almost sized down to a Medium while retaining most if not all of the high-speed stability while getting a bit more balanced handling.

Looked up the 2018 Enduros. Conveniently the chainstay lengths are identical to the Meta AM at 433mm. The overall length of the small Meta AM (1231mm) would put it between the L and XL sizes, so you'd be going up the equivalent of ~2.5 sizes from your small Enduro. Just food for thought. I'm sure you can adapt, but depends on whether you like straight-line plowing or more finesse.

Good memory! Yes I was concerned about the sizing but I was able to sit on a 2020 meta 29 medium (which I think is 445 reach) and it felt great for me. I'm definitely more into straight Iine plowing on fast techy trails. I currently have my gambler setup on the long and slack setting and prefer the longer wheelbase which is nearly the same as a small meta.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Leaning towards the meta to replace both

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015758
Mobile Version of Website