The new Troy 29er is Amazing!

PB Forum :: Devinci
The new Troy 29er is Amazing!
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 at 9:49 Quote
I've had this bike for a little over a week now, and I just wanted to post some feedback here - the new Troy 29er is amazing!

I have the carbon GX long travel build, with the 160mm Lyrik and Deluxe. I replaced the SRAM brakes with a set of Shimano Zee's - just out of brake feel preference really. Other than a bash guard, I've done nothing to it yet.

Let me just say that this is the first 29er I've owned, though I've ridden a few here and there over the years. This bike does NOT handle like most other 29ers - it is very light on it's feet (wheels?), and can change direction on a dime, while still having all of the usual benefits of a 29er - rolling resistance, larger tire patch etc.

It eats up rocks and roots to the point that I find myself pumping the bike over root bowls I used to have to pick and pedal through - now I gain speed in the rough.

It climbs as well or better than my old 120mm Fuel despite being a much bigger and more capable bike - it gives up nothing to the Trek's climbing ability, which is saying something since the Fuel is an XC bike at heart.

The Troy is very easy it pick up and place too - which is something I don't find in many 29ers - the super short chainstays make lofting the front wheel or pumping a takeoff so easy. It's well balanced in the air too.

Oh and it's stunningly beautiful. There are many small details on the frame that aren't immediately apparent - like the matt black paint actually has some metal fleck in it that only shows up when the frame is wet. That means when you're riding hard, and sweating, the sweat that drips onto the bike leaves gold flecked splats in the black. That has to be intentional, right?!

So yeah, I am incredibly happy with this bike - very well done Devinci!

Posted: Jul 10, 2018 at 9:55 Quote
Great to hear! But all that and no pictures??? Big Grin

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 10:01 Quote
Are tall are you and witch size have you bought? I demoed a large and felt great but I'm in between size at 6'2" and xl was not available.

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 10:25 Quote
Pics attached - though nothing too exciting, they're in my front yard flower bed Smile

As for sizing, I'm about 5'10" and I prefer a slightly smaller bike to throw around, so I'm on a medium. I'm right in the middle of medium and large according to Devinci's sizing charts. I've ridden a large Django and it was close, but the medium feels just right. Hopefully you can get something useful out of that.

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 10:42 Quote
duncanstrohnd wrote:
Pics attached

Salute

Looking good!

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 23:49 Quote
Any chance you’ve ridden a Yeti SB5.5.5 and can compare?

Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 11:31 Quote
mrcleen wrote:
Any chance you’ve ridden a Yeti SB5.5.5 and can compare?

I haven’t (though I’d love to), but looking at the geo, they’re similar bikes. The Devinci has a slightly slacker head tube, and it’s seatpost is slightly steeper - a degree or so each way.

It looks like the Devinci is noticeably longer with a 2” longer wheelbase than the Yeti.

I will say though that the Devinci’s split pivot makes for a bike that pretty much completely resists pedalling forces, while feeling much more capable than 140mm would suggest. It really does feel bottomless.

I’d be interested to see if the switch infinity link in the yeti produces a similar effect.

Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 19:19 Quote
I just picked up the new Devinci Troy as well. Sick bike! I didn't know any of the builds came with a lyrik?

Posted: Sep 26, 2018 at 3:06 Quote
wow what a beautiful bike. still riding my 2014 carbon troy and loving it ! cheers

Posted: Sep 26, 2018 at 6:57 Quote
Just wanted to add to this thread with my short review of the Troy 29. I just spent a couple of weeks riding it out in BC (North Van, Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton), and I'm thoroughly impressed. For comparison, I've owned all previous versions of the Troy (2014 and 2016), and I also currently own a Django 29 and a Wilson 27.5. The new Troy feels like a much bigger bike than both previous versions I've had. It plows through everything so well I sometimes forgot I was only on a 140mm travel bike. It handled black tech trails in the Whistler bike park with ease (I've ridden those same trails on my 2016 Troy). Suspension feels so smooth and bottomless, almost felt like I was on my Wilson (obviously not quite the same, but you get the idea). Some of this could be attributed to the DPX2 rear shock (which has exceeded my expectations) and new 36 GRIP2 fork (also awesome) though.

Climbing was also better than I expected. The bike weighs in at 29.8 lbs in its current form (not including the EDC tool, mini pump, bottle, and tube strapped to frame), so I was expecting it to be a chore on the long climbs, but I was pleasantly surprised. Both singletrack and fireroad climbing seemed a little easier on this bike than my last Troy. Not sure why, maybe the 29 wheels, maybe just placebo, but I seemed to be getting to the top of climbs faster with less walking on the super steep stuff.

Pretty much my whole BC trip it rained, so the bike saw ALOT of very muddy and wet rides. Another thing I'm impressed with is how quiet and smooth the linkage remained throughout all the mud and daily trips to the bike wash. With previous versions of the Troy (including my Django and Wilson) I had issues with creaking after muddy rides and washes, with the culprit usually being the upper shock mount or the lower main pivot. On those bikes part of regular maintenance for me was to disassemble those parts, clean, and grease to keep it all quiet. Even after all the mud an washings the Troy 29 has seen, I haven't touched it and it's still dead silent and smooth. Big improvement here, and I'm sure is partly due to the trunnion mount shock running on bearings instead of the standard bushing/reducer setup.

The only thing I found harder on this bike than previous generations were tight switchbacks, both up and down. The bike was a bit much to muscle around tight corners due to its size and the 29 wheels. Situations such as this were noticeably easier on my previous 27.5 Troys. But that's it, new Troy is better (to me) in every other way.

Here's a picture after a messy ride in Pemberton.

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 at 13:40 Quote
Great looking bikes. If only I could justify the spend!

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 18:42 Quote
duncanstrohnd wrote:
I've had this bike for a little over a week now, and I just wanted to post some feedback here - the new Troy 29er is amazing!

I have the carbon GX long travel build, with the 160mm Lyrik and Deluxe. I replaced the SRAM brakes with a set of Shimano Zee's - just out of brake feel preference really. Other than a bash guard, I've done nothing to it yet.

Let me just say that this is the first 29er I've owned, though I've ridden a few here and there over the years. This bike does NOT handle like most other 29ers - it is very light on it's feet (wheels?), and can change direction on a dime, while still having all of the usual benefits of a 29er - rolling resistance, larger tire patch etc.

It eats up rocks and roots to the point that I find myself pumping the bike over root bowls I used to have to pick and pedal through - now I gain speed in the rough.

It climbs as well or better than my old 120mm Fuel despite being a much bigger and more capable bike - it gives up nothing to the Trek's climbing ability, which is saying something since the Fuel is an XC bike at heart.

The Troy is very easy it pick up and place too - which is something I don't find in many 29ers - the super short chainstays make lofting the front wheel or pumping a takeoff so easy. It's well balanced in the air too.

Oh and it's stunningly beautiful. There are many small details on the frame that aren't immediately apparent - like the matt black paint actually has some metal fleck in it that only shows up when the frame is wet. That means when you're riding hard, and sweating, the sweat that drips onto the bike leaves gold flecked splats in the black. That has to be intentional, right?!

So yeah, I am incredibly happy with this bike - very well done Devinci!

I also just bought this bike. Couldn't afford the model you chose lol but I got the aluminum NX
Still a great ride and a step up from my old hard tail. I also am 5.10ft and went medium. My LBS recommended the large but I spoke to multiple other lbs and they recommended medium. Sat on the large didnt feel right at the Time. So far I'm happy!

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 11:38 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Just wanted to add to this thread with my short review of the Troy 29. I just spent a couple of weeks riding it out in BC (North Van, Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton), and I'm thoroughly impressed. For comparison, I've owned all previous versions of the Troy (2014 and 2016), and I also currently own a Django 29 and a Wilson 27.5. The new Troy feels like a much bigger bike than both previous versions I've had. It plows through everything so well I sometimes forgot I was only on a 140mm travel bike. It handled black tech trails in the Whistler bike park with ease (I've ridden those same trails on my 2016 Troy). Suspension feels so smooth and bottomless, almost felt like I was on my Wilson (obviously not quite the same, but you get the idea). Some of this could be attributed to the DPX2 rear shock (which has exceeded my expectations) and new 36 GRIP2 fork (also awesome) though.

Climbing was also better than I expected. The bike weighs in at 29.8 lbs in its current form (not including the EDC tool, mini pump, bottle, and tube strapped to frame), so I was expecting it to be a chore on the long climbs, but I was pleasantly surprised. Both singletrack and fireroad climbing seemed a little easier on this bike than my last Troy. Not sure why, maybe the 29 wheels, maybe just placebo, but I seemed to be getting to the top of climbs faster with less walking on the super steep stuff.

Pretty much my whole BC trip it rained, so the bike saw ALOT of very muddy and wet rides. Another thing I'm impressed with is how quiet and smooth the linkage remained throughout all the mud and daily trips to the bike wash. With previous versions of the Troy (including my Django and Wilson) I had issues with creaking after muddy rides and washes, with the culprit usually being the upper shock mount or the lower main pivot. On those bikes part of regular maintenance for me was to disassemble those parts, clean, and grease to keep it all quiet. Even after all the mud an washings the Troy 29 has seen, I haven't touched it and it's still dead silent and smooth. Big improvement here, and I'm sure is partly due to the trunnion mount shock running on bearings instead of the standard bushing/reducer setup.

The only thing I found harder on this bike than previous generations were tight switchbacks, both up and down. The bike was a bit much to muscle around tight corners due to its size and the 29 wheels. Situations such as this were noticeably easier on my previous 27.5 Troys. But that's it, new Troy is better (to me) in every other way.

Here's a picture after a messy ride in Pemberton.

I love the way it looks with the Kashima front and back - nicely done!. When I bought mine I agonized over switching out the shock for a Super Deluxe, but living in Southern Ontario, I really couldn't justify it. It still does just fine at the local DH park, and with only 750' of vertical it's not really enough to overheat the stock Deluxe the bike came with.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 11:40 Quote
Elemieux wrote:

I also just bought this bike. Couldn't afford the model you chose lol but I got the aluminum NX
Still a great ride and a step up from my old hard tail. I also am 5.10ft and went medium. My LBS recommended the large but I spoke to multiple other lbs and they recommended medium. Sat on the large didnt feel right at the Time. So far I'm happy!

I really found that noticeably with the bike being a 29er - the medium felt much more nimble under me than the large.

Yeah that's a big upgrade from a hardtail!

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012238
Mobile Version of Website