How do people get their bikes so clean?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How do people get their bikes so clean?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 13:35 Quote
I mean how do they do it? These people who get their bikes looking like new? Demo bikes that have been ridden but look pristine.

I’m pretty anal about always cleaning my bike, especially after a muddy ride (learned the hard way), but there are always watermarks and little mud stains in some of the hard to reach books and crannys. What am I missing here?

Any top tips from the sparkly bike brigade?

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 13:42 Quote
sponge & bucket wash with car shampoo (carplan and autoglym are good if you're in the UK) and use rags and old toothbrushes to get into the crevices then dry it with a towel Smile I only do this occasionally but its nice to polish up once in a while.

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 14:16 Quote
bottle brush! , the park tool brush kit comes with a little bottle-brush type brush that is key to getting in all the nooks of crannies of a dual sus bike. then wipe it all dry after and she'll be looking brand new. i think some Park Tool stuff is insanely over priced but their brush kit is worth the money.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 15:09 Quote
The bottle brush works great, and if you have access to it, use and air compressor to dry all the tight spots.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 15:45 Quote
Simple green and a good bike brush. Using a stand or something to hang the bike up helps too.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 18:11 Quote
Step 1 - wash bike with mild cleaner and soft bristle brush
Step 2 - clean drive train and suspension seals
Step 3 - lube drivetrain and suspension seals
Step 4 - while lube on drive train and seals soaks in, get a microfiber cloth and wipe down your frame
Step 5 - wipe down drivetrain and shocks of excess using lint free something.

Done! Should take twenty minutes.

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 5:40 Quote
This stuff is amazing and it smells as good or better if you can believe that. All of the pro and amateur motocross teams use it, I saw the Kona demo truck had a bunch of cans to keep their demo fleet looking new. It really prevents dirt from sticking to things and gives it a nice new look. Dont spray it on your rotors.

To really get in the nooks and crannies you have to take your bike apart and clean things. Its good to do that for pivot points and things anyway.

http://www.maximausa.com/product/sc1/
photo

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 7:45 Quote
Will1848 wrote:
Simple green and a good bike brush. Using a stand or something to hang the bike up helps too.

DO NOT use simple green on anything except your drive train, and lube it up after. Simple green is a powerful de-greaser so it will strip all lubricant, grease, and oil out of all the areas that need it

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 7:49 Quote
Don't actually ride and say you do.
Boom

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 12:34 Quote
cdmbmw wrote:
Don't actually ride and say you do.
Boom
so,so true

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 13:39 Quote
arrowheadrush wrote:
Will1848 wrote:

DO NOT use simple green on anything except your drive train, and lube it up after. Simple green is a powerful de-greaser so it will strip all lubricant, grease, and oil out of all the areas that need it

It also will fade your anodized bits over time. Dilute Shout with water 50/50, it works just as well as Simple Green but has no acid in it.

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 14:00 Quote
konarider94 wrote:
This stuff is amazing and it smells as good or better if you can believe that. All of the pro and amateur motocross teams use it, I saw the Kona demo truck had a bunch of cans to keep their demo fleet looking new. It really prevents dirt from sticking to things and gives it a nice new look. Dont spray it on your rotors.

To really get in the nooks and crannies you have to take your bike apart and clean things. Its good to do that for pivot points and things anyway.

http://www.maximausa.com/product/sc1/
photo

It’s good for getting tubeless tyres to seat too.

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 15:05 Quote
Spray the whole thing with muc off silicone spray after a regular deap clean = shiny new look

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 15:32 Quote
What do you guys think about the finish line Showroom polish & protectant..? I'm not to keen on using this on my fork stanchions or my dropper.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 15:40 Quote
Muc-off nano tech or whatever the pink stuff is works pretty good. Rip off to buy at local stores but I order the 5L jugs for 20 euros online and it lasts forever, you can dilute it down as well. If you want to get the bike really clean it helps to take the wheels, chain and shock off.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009402
Mobile Version of Website