2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 15:32 Quote
[Quote="jaydawg69"

Why not get the Smashpot and get the Hydraulic Bottom Out control?[/Quote]

I figured it was a good way to try out the coil setup since it's a fair bit cheaper. Is the smashpot really that much better?

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 15:35 Quote
Brasher wrote:
I have the smashpot in the rythym, It's excellent but because of the wild head angle you need to go a lot softer in spring rate than what you think. It only took 4 springs at $100 each to find out lol.

It rides fantastic, grip for days and solves a bit of the front end issues with pushing etc.

The hydraulic bottom out feature is so good, It's seamless and not abrupt.

My only issue (besides the added weight) is the heat shrink can work its way down the coil every now and then resulting in a bit of noise, Not a deal breaker but a bit annoying. The Z1 coil noise mitigation seems a better thought out system.

I have seen your Thredbo video on YT and I must admit your bike seemed to have amazing front end grip.

So if I were to buy the smashpot definitely go a bit softer than recommended then? Looking at the chart that's up on their site if I want a medium feel which I'd like to start with it suggests a 40lb spring for my 70kg rider weight. I was almost thinking that might be a bit soft

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 18:56 Quote
Benduro83 wrote:
Brasher wrote:
I have the smashpot in the rythym, It's excellent but because of the wild head angle you need to go a lot softer in spring rate than what you think. It only took 4 springs at $100 each to find out lol.

It rides fantastic, grip for days and solves a bit of the front end issues with pushing etc.

The hydraulic bottom out feature is so good, It's seamless and not abrupt.

My only issue (besides the added weight) is the heat shrink can work its way down the coil every now and then resulting in a bit of noise, Not a deal breaker but a bit annoying. The Z1 coil noise mitigation seems a better thought out system.

I have seen your Thredbo video on YT and I must admit your bike seemed to have amazing front end grip.

So if I were to buy the smashpot definitely go a bit softer than recommended then? Looking at the chart that's up on their site if I want a medium feel which I'd like to start with it suggests a 40lb spring for my 70kg rider weight. I was almost thinking that might be a bit soft

I was at 50lb and could have easily gone down another 5lb at 100kg rider weight but I like a softer setup than most and dialling in some compression to prevent brake dive.

Maths, calculators and others experience are great, but you don't know until you put that spring in and take it for a ride I suppose Smile

O+
Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 3:28 Quote
Brasher wrote:

I was at 50lb and could have easily gone down another 5lb at 100kg rider weight but I like a softer setup than most and dialling in some compression to prevent brake dive.

Maths, calculators and others experience are great, but you don't know until you put that spring in and take it for a ride I suppose Smile

Cool cheers. I do prefer a firmer ride with less compression so I guess I'll just start at recommended and take it from there. Thanks for the advice

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 22:02 Quote
Looks like the EVO frames are on sale on the Specialized US site... wondering if it means anything...?
Mini Enduro replacing the Stumpy?

Update: Looks like prices on the Aluminium models are back to $1700 from the $1275 of yesterday... ????

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 22:13 Quote
SchalkMarais wrote:
Looks like the EVO frames are on sale on the Specialized US site... wondering if it means anything...?

doubt it.... will be too heavy.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 23:44 Quote
Probably 2021 models are coming out and they want to move inventory.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 0:36 Quote
kwapik wrote:
Probably 2021 models are coming out and they want to move inventory.

If only our damn importer was willing to bring these frames to South Africa ????

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 17:02 Quote
SchalkMarais wrote:

Update: Looks like prices on the Aluminium models are back to $1700 from the $1275 of yesterday... ????

Doesn't mean anything at the moment. Spesh is dropping new enduro builds in the next coming weeks though. I'm hoping for a mini enduro but my spesh rep hasn't said anything about that

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 19:05 Quote
We’ve heard that there will be another frame option coming... Enduros will only come as framesets to South Africa

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 16:37 Quote
So I ended up taking the plunge and buying a vorsprung smashpot...only to discover my 36 Rhythm has developed the dreaded CSU creak.. face palm.
Pretty damn excited to see what it's like once I get my fork back and install it. Going to try the fork at 170mm too so should be pretty interesting.
We have a good amount of steep technical runs here in Adelaide so I'm hoping it ends up being the dream set up I've been looking for

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 13:47 Quote
This thread has gone a bit quiet but I thought I'd still at least share my Smashpot conversion experience.
Was a very easy to follow process assembled, torqued and was good to go.
For reference I'm 70kg on a 40lb spring at 170 travel.
Ran in low to start with and crikey it felt eerily similar to my demo 29 to sit on. Decided it was a bit much and still too low so I'll save low setting for high speed shuttle laps.
Flipped to high position and straight away this is the bike I wanted now.
The coil system provides bucket loads of traction and I feel a lot more confident charging into steeps. Handling feels improved and my bars sit in a better position for aggressive riding

Spring rate feels pretty good rides in the mid stroke well and I don't need to use much compression or bottom out control. Can still bottom it out on large hucks though and the transition to the hydraulic system feels awesome and smooth.

Anyone on the fence about coil I say it is perfect for a bike of this geometry and intent. Stoked.

Thanks to those who pointed me in this direction

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 14:20 Quote
That's great information - thank you!

Fancy suspension is almost always a better return on investment than other upgrades.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2020 at 15:59 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
That's great information - thank you!

Fancy suspension is almost always a better return on investment than other upgrades.

No worries at all.

This was the biggest improvement to the feel of the bike. I finally understand what is meant by mid stroke support and how important it is on a bike of this nature.

This bike has taught me a lot because it requires some real thought to set up well. It forced me to work out what I actually want out of a bike.
Very content with my set up now so all that's left to do is enjoy it!

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 6:44 Quote
For those of you with Raw alloy EVO frames can these frames be cleaned up with some wire wool or do they have a clear coat?

Thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011828
Mobile Version of Website