Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 13:06 Quote
Do you have a Sram derailleur?
If so, that's kind of part of the package

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Running Shimano XT 12sp. The chainstays on this bike are crazy close to the chain, I think that's the problem.

Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 16:01 Quote
steel4real wrote:
I run 170mm cranks on an S3 27.5. I get a fair few pedal strikes even with a 160mm fork and 'high' setting (it's offset by -1mm but that's another story - see yoke interference above!).

It still corners well and it just one of those things - in really rocky terrain if pedalling I do tend to flick the lever on the shock to the mid position.

My friend has an S3 29 with 170mm cranks also and rarely has pedal strikes in 'low' setting with stock Fox 36 150mm The 29 BB is a little higher anyways on the 29 and he's a better rider!

Good intel. I'd be on an 23 29er. Given the geo package I am fine with a few strikes here and there. I recently sold a '17 s-works demo and had a kona entourage earlier so i'm hoping to find dh performance that is somewhere in between those with much better, but still not amazing pedaling ability.

I'll be losing reach on my previous bikes, but with an extra 5mm on the stem it will be at 480 which should be good enough.

Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 17:09 Quote
notthatfast wrote:
Has anyone else found that they get a CRAZY amount of chain slap on this bike?? It's driving me crazy.

Probably the most silent bike I've ever ridden, it's eerily quiet.

Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 17:25 Quote
On the 165mm cranks, I would give them a go. I've nearly always been on 175mm and was sceptical, but on the 165's I noticed no difference, set a bunch of personal bests (climbing), and not too many pedal strikes.

I find the bike to be a great pedaller, in fact one of the best I've ridden (30 years mtb experience).

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 20:21 Quote
notthatfast wrote:
Arierep wrote:
Running Shimano XT 12sp. The chainstays on this bike are crazy close to the chain, I think that's the problem.

Is your clutch on?

Posted: Apr 29, 2020 at 20:22 Quote
oregontradesman wrote:
We just did this on my buddies. On the inner shaft you’ll see a rubber gasket and then a thin metal plate near the top by the volume spacer. Pull the plate down and there’s a black metal spacer there. We just cut off with dykes.

Thanks for the info!

I'm going to ride it a couple of times and then see about modding the shock. It seems to be pretty clear steps and parts.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2020 at 19:09 Quote
Has anyone measured their bb height? I measured 339mm, 11 mm higher than spec.

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 0:30 Quote
oregontradesman wrote:
Has anyone measured their bb height? I measured 339mm, 11 mm higher than spec.

BB height from the ground is a measurement that, IMO, makes little sense to take seriously. You need to take in consideration that actual tyre diameter is very variable between brands, models and sizes, also changing with wear and pressure. This dimension also assumes that the floor is perfectly level along the wheelbase, which is not always the case.

If you want to compare your bike with the published data, try to measure BB drop

Posted: May 7, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
notthatfast wrote:
Has anyone else found that they get a CRAZY amount of chain slap on this bike?? It's driving me crazy.

To be honest I haven’t noticed it all that much, they’ve got the rubber chain slap guard thing and that does the trick for me, the most likely thing it could be is the rear mech clunking around over bumps but there’s not too much you can do to sort that out. If it’s too excessive and you feel it’s making way too much noise then the clutch in your mech could be worn out

O+
Posted: May 7, 2020 at 16:34 Quote
Billycolvin wrote:
notthatfast wrote:

To be honest I haven’t noticed it all that much, they’ve got the rubber chain slap guard thing and that does the trick for me, the most likely thing it could be is the rear mech clunking around over bumps but there’s not too much you can do to sort that out. If it’s too excessive and you feel it’s making way too much noise then the clutch in your mech could be worn out
Nah it's a brand new xt 12sp, clutch is set up correctly

O+
Posted: May 7, 2020 at 18:26 Quote
notthatfast wrote:
Billycolvin wrote:
notthatfast wrote:

I have the XT 12 spd and I don’t notice any chain slap. How long is your chain?

O+
Posted: May 7, 2020 at 19:02 Quote
oregontradesman wrote:
notthatfast wrote:
Billycolvin wrote:

I have the XT 12 spd and I don’t notice any chain slap. How long is your chain?
The right length Wink

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
It's possible to get evo numbers from a regular stumpy comp650b.

Have swapped the fork to 29er (150mm) + 29er wheels (2.6dhf front AND REAR!!?), offset bush, shock mod for more travel.

VERY tight but it clears in the rear, in low mode.

The only downside it you can't have your seat all the way back and the dropper slammed. And if you have a mudhugger mudguard,,it will need trimming..

64HA whooop

photo

63.5HA if 27.5 rear...not tried it like this yet, don't like the look.

If anyone is interested in any other numbers let me know.
Dean

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 22:50 Quote
Ok, so I ride a stumpy 27.5 women’s size L (I’m a guy though) and geo seems similar to the 27.5 s2. I love dj’s / downhill and all in between. I want the s2 but not certain. The s2 has longer, lower and slacker geo compared to my stumpy al comp, just a shorter seat tube. The s3 looks to long and big for jibbing in the car park and local trails and djs. I’m 6’1”, prefer smaller bikes, and come from Bmx. Recommendations?
Also, how can I convert the fox air shock (DPX2) from 210x52.5 to 210x55?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012849
Mobile Version of Website