30t vs 32t chainring

• Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 19:59 Quote
Currently running 1x12 with 32t chainring and wondering if anybody has any thoughts on going to a smaller 30t in an effort to get even lower gear to help with my climbing. Will I really even notice this change. I’m 56 and not generating the leg power I used to. Thanks for any input.

Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 20:19 Quote
Oh yes, you will certainly notice a difference. If you're not too worried about achieving top speed in the highest gear, then I'd say make the switch from the 32 to the 30. How often do you drop into the highest gear?

Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 20:43 Quote
Hi,

Go with Oval Chainring. It helps. A size 30T has a high point of a 32T ring and low point of 28T.

Absolute Black
https://absoluteblack.cc/why-oval/

Wolftooth
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/powertrac-elliptical

Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 21:19 Quote
bleiter wrote:
Currently running 1x12 with 32t chainring and wondering if anybody has any thoughts on going to a smaller 30t in an effort to get even lower gear to help with my climbing. Will I really even notice this change. I’m 56 and not generating the leg power I used to. Thanks for any input.

If the biggest cog on your 12 speed cassette isn’t low enough, I would guess you don’t find yourself overspinning in your smallest cog too often during downhill sprints. Not trying to bash your legs in the slightest. I only regularly use my top gear in bike parks. If that is the case though, I wouldn’t hesitate to downsize your chainring. It can be brutal to run out of gears on a climb. You could even go to 28t depending on your riding

Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 22:14 Quote
bleiter wrote:

Haha k actually just put on a 30 tooth oval chainring and rode it yesterday. I noticed very little difference, at least less than I thought. I would go 26 or 28, there you would definitely feel the difference.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 23:10 Quote
Thanks for all of the feedback. Great stuff. As for how often in top speed in smallest cog...very rare but I get your point and it is something to consider. I think I will explore the oval as well. Thanks all!

FL
Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 2:57 Quote
I just fitted a 30t (from 32t) on my Shimano 11 speed. Not only does it give me an easier gear to spin up the climbs with, it also gives me a more useable 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear for climbing, as it has taken to edge off the jump from my 46t to the next gear.

I would defo say do it.

FL
Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 3:45 Quote
I've been considering this switch, too. I'm now running an 11-46 cassette with 32T up front.

I rarely (if ever?) find myself sprinting downhill on the 11T, but I do find myself having to keep up a decent pace on steep climbs just to keep my cadence up, while friends with Eagle 50T's have an "easy" spin to the top of the climb.

I'd say give it a go, oval or not.

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 6:52 Quote
You need to change 4 teeth to really notice a difference, so go 28t (or oval) if you can. I did the opposite and switched from 32t to 36t; essentially gained one higher gear and lost one climb gear.

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 10:45 Quote
lepak1corner wrote:
Hi,

Go with Oval Chainring. It helps. A size 30T has a high point of a 32T ring and low point of 28T.

Absolute Black
https://absoluteblack.cc/why-oval/

Wolftooth
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/powertrac-elliptical

Yes they are very good. I tried out an AB on a friends bike and decided to get one. Because a 30/32 or if you can find one BMX sprockets can be found in 31 but you have to run an adapter. Is going to start costing $$$ to figure out what you want. I would rather go 30 or 32 oval and get the best of both worlds. Also take into account what you ride. If you climb alot and have a bunch of tight turns and it’s hilly or mountains. You probably don’t want a 32, because the lower ratio will fit your area and riding better. Now if it’s flat for the most part and hills (like the ones I have in south eastern Tx) you might want to go faster because you don’t get much speed on the stuff around here from gravity.

Go oval it’s probably the best bet, in a 32.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 11:02 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
You need to change 4 teeth to really notice a difference, so go 28t (or oval) if you can. I did the opposite and switched from 32t to 36t; essentially gained one higher gear and lost one climb gear.

That might be true for you, but I can notice a big difference from just changing chainring sizes two teeth. Changing four teeth is a HUGE difference. Changing from up or down two teeth is a big enough change.

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 13:44 Quote
As more and more of us age(44 here) either singles will need 6:1 range or doubles will still be needed. As you age you won't be able to be as strong for climbs, but you might still like going really fast on your bike when it comes up. I hate running out of gear.

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 7:48 Quote
Most cassette have cogs that transition xx-xx-28-32-36-xx, so my 32t chainring had a1:1 ratio at 32 rear with 2 more lower gears. When I switched to 36t, the 1:1 ratio shifted to the 36 rear with only 1 lower gear. In my case, with my original 32t, I was winding out my smallest (11t) cog and never using my largest. Going 36t made it perfect.

I spent 3 days riding Oak Mountain Alabama recently and brought my 32t chainring in case I needed a lower climbing gear (it takes less than 10 minutes to swap and no adjustments required for chain length), but I climbed everything with the 36t. Some new bikes won’t fit a 36t chainring without offsetting it away from the frame. I tested a new Trek 29er with 32t and 10-50 cassette while there, but never needed the 2 lowest gears, and I hated the ergonomics of the SRAM shifter.

So, if you want to feel the difference in switching 4 teeth in your chainring, ride and switch 1 gear lower if you plan to loose 4t. If that is too much, 2t will be 1/2 that difference.

If you are currently using all the cogs on your rear cassette, a new chainring isn’t your answer. You need more range with your cassette. If 10-50 or 10-51 isn’t enough, then time to go back to 2x. The new Shimano XTR has that option. Or, maybe consider an E-bike, but please shoot me if you ever see me on one!

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 8:43 Quote
Thanks DonLopez. Appreciate the intel. I do by the way have an e-bike for city commuting as wife and I went to one car. As for mountain bike...never!

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 21:09 Quote
Yeah switching from 32 to 30 will help. I have a 30x46 on a 1x11 setup. I was concerned that I would not roll fast enough on the road to the trails. That has not been the case. I can go about 15 mph on flat roads without spinning out. So, I think that side is covered. For the other side of the cassette, you can definitely utilize a 30x46 gear for long or steep climbs.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012078
Mobile Version of Website