Maxxis Tires: Quality Control? (DHRll)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Maxxis Tires: Quality Control? (DHRll)
Previous Page |
Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 9:47 Quote
I've had flaws in two different DHRll tires. Big enough to see noticeable wobbles that lead to discarding the tires.
One bike shop mechanic relayed that his shop was constantly replacing flawed Maxxis tires. But they were selling almost exclusively Specialized tires for whatever that's worth.

Is this a known quality control issue with Maxxis? The Aggressor is my current go to rear tire and I totally love it. No issues there. I've also had a few Ardents in the past, and those were also fine.

Maybe I stumbled into a bad batch with the DHRll. But since so many people are riding Maxxis, I'm curious if this is a thing. (Or a DHRll thing?)

Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 9:54 Quote
Mine had wobble. I read that it needs to be seated with soap and water. So i redid my tire install with soap and water and wobbles gone.

Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 9:59 Quote
@ alexdesignz Was this a DHRll as well? I read the same thing and it has helped me in the past. The DHRll is way more finnicky to seat compared to all other Maxxis I've used. (Not to mention other brands as well). Maybe that's just a coincidence.

Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 13:38 Quote
Here is my thread from 6 months ago with a similar Maxxis problem. Clearly they have a manufacturing problem or quality assurance problem these days.

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=210351

Posted: Apr 1, 2019 at 18:42 Quote
Thanks! Mass producing ain't easy I suppose. (now give me my money back)

Posted: Apr 1, 2019 at 18:54 Quote
Had a bulge in my HR II 29. wound up mounting it on a 23 mm iw rim with a tube, let it sit for a day, then rode it on the street for about 1/2 mile..remounted on my 29 mm in rim, problem solved. May depend on severity of the probem, mine wasn't all that bad.

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 at 7:58 Quote
I’ve found the Maxxis bead to be pretty sensitive to tire levers - destroyed my semi-new DHR II one night when I was lazy. I now use a ton of soapy water to mount the tire without the levers then a compressor to pop the bead in place.

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 at 8:26 Quote
Jetmo wrote:
@ alexdesignz Was this a DHRll as well? I read the same thing and it has helped me in the past. The DHRll is way more finnicky to seat compared to all other Maxxis I've used. (Not to mention other brands as well). Maybe that's just a coincidence.

Yes

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 3:33 Quote
Seems not all maxis tyres are equal. I put a DHF TR Exo 3C on my trail bike and it seated instantly, holds air amazingly, nice and straight, is wearing well. Just put an Aggressor TR DD on the back of my Enduro bike and immediately after mounting it where the soap suds were it was bubbling straight through the apparent reinforced bit of the side wall, I have since then been pumping it up every night and rotating the tyre hoping once it’s got a good coating of sealant it will seal. I was surprised how flimsy DD side walls are compared to Schwalbe SG walls.

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 3:56 Quote
Maxxis (Cheng Shin Tire) makes a lot of tires for other brands. When people say they don't trust Maxxis and, instead, use another brand, that other brand is often a Maxxis.

All companies have out-of-spec tires that get past QC. In my experience, Maxxis is no worse than others.

If you can actually feel the wobble while riding or if it rubs the frame, any decent shop should exchange it - assuming you bought it from them, of course.

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 21:06 Quote
I usually order tires online, but that's one reason to buy local. Interesting info regarding the manufacturer.

Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 7:13 Quote
Jetmo wrote:
I usually order tires online, but that's one reason to buy local. Interesting info regarding the manufacturer.

True, though if the price at the local shop is twice as much, this only pays off if there's a 50/50 chance of a warranty replacement. That seems a bit high.

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 10:35 Quote
Been wondering the same thing recently myself and found this thread.

I've never previously had issues with Maxxis tires (been running them exclusively for 6 years) but have submitted two warranty claims in the last 6 months, both on DHR II tires. The first one was a separated bead/blown out bead on an EXO casing, which happened as I was leisurely pedaling up a smooth hill (Maxxis warrantied the tire). The most recent is due to seeping sidewalls on a one-month-old tire with the new EXO+ casing (still waiting to her on this). Thought the loss of air (12psi overnight) was due to an old set of rims, but put the tire on a brand new wheelset and was still having the same problem. Sprayed the tire with soapy water and holy hell! Both sides seeping everywhere. Running Stans sealant, which hasn't done a thing for it.

Anyways, seems like they might be having a QC issue. Anyone else having similar problems?

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 19:26 Quote
Recently swapped out a pair of DHFs for an Assegai and a DHRII both 27.5 x 2.6. The Assegai had a noticeably bad wobble. Maxxis had a new one delivered within a week. The new one is much better, rubber softer even with EXO+. Still a little bit of a shift when spinning, but I wonder how much of a wobble is within tolerance?

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 19:41 Quote
Unfortunately, "within tolerance" and "they'll warranty it" are two different things.

Design tolerances are actually pretty tight, but factory tolerances may not match design tolerances, and QC may be another matter altogether.

It's also an interesting point that the compounds may be different. I've always had the impression CST (Maxxis) varies their XC/AM compounds without announcing it. DH compounds appear to be more consistent, as there's less expectation of durability. Or maybe it's another example of lax tolerances / QC.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005606
Mobile Version of Website