Up or Down? Who gets right of way?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Up or Down? Who gets right of way?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 18:28 Quote
Oooold question. It used to be that uphill got the right of way because losing momentum on the climb sucks, and restarting can sometimes be tricky. Obviously restarting on the down is as easy as letting off the brakes.

Anymore I hear people saying “enjoy the down” and yielding to the downhill traffic so they can stay in the flow. Seems less people value the challenge of cleaning the climb without putting a foot down. More people wanna bomb the hill and I’m cool with both. I just wish it was consistent.

What is the consensus? Who gets the right of way, uphill or downhill riders?

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 18:43 Quote
Old school is to let the climber pass. Stick with the old school, and yield to hikers up or down. Makes the woods a nicer place. When it comes to access issues we are gonna lose to hikers every time so it's best if they don't perceive us to be a bunch of raging, red bull fueled pecker-heads. Just my 2 cents. If you want to ride something clean then hit it dawn patrol style.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 20:00 Quote
Exactly as He11boy has put it, well said!!! And I greet everyone, say something to lighten the mood as i approach them from behind, do HighFives with the line of hikers that yielded to me, praise the little tyke on the pushbike, stop and talk to the retired couple about their dog(while I catch my breath)...let them know that i’m one with them... the other day I cascaded down off a Gnar trail with my Timberbell clanging onto the paved walking path near a small group of people, I made a comment like ‘watch out, it’s one of them crazy bikers’, got a giggle from them and was sincerely praised for the effectiveness of my bell! On another occasion a dude was walking down the same trail with a skittish dog and did not care the the bell at all...lol

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 5:30 Quote
speed10,

I agree attitudes are changing and conventions need to change with them. It's about rights and responsibilities: anyone who wants the right to charge hard on a descent has the responsibility to be able to stop or safely avoid anything they may encounter and has the responsibility to act accordingly when they're the uphill rider. The faster you go, the greater your responsibility.

We're long past the days when uphill riders can indignantly occupy the middle of the trail and proclaim their right of way. It's more like a "merge" situation on a highway: both parties have equal rights.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004949
Mobile Version of Website