What's it take to convert a Moster triple to a Super Monster?

PB Forum :: Marzocchi
What's it take to convert a Moster triple to a Super Monster?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 8, 2020 at 20:50 Quote
I saw a vintage bike for sale locally, and it has a Monster Triple 2 fork, which sure looks like it shares triple clamps and lowers with the Super Monster, a fork I want to own...just because. Does anyone know what it would take to convert it from 200mm, up to the Super's 300mm?

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
The monster T2 doesn't have the higher end cartridge of the regular monster or Super. No adjustments at all, just springs, and a very low end damper in both legs. It does look cool though, i rebuilt one a few years back & sold it. They hold around 750ml of oil & are heavy, like SUPER heavy.

Just like you guessed converting to the Super Monster would require literally everything changed aside from the crown & lowers I'd guess

Longer springs, cartridges & stanchions. All things that would be just about impossible to source.

Of course if you aren't looking to ride it, just look at it. You can always pull the stanchions out far enough on the T2 to look like a super monster.

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 20:17 Quote
Thanks for the reply!I figured it would be a challenge; I just hadn't seen one before, and hoped...

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 23:26 Quote
eshew wrote:
The monster T2 doesn't have the higher end cartridge of the regular monster or Super. No adjustments at all, just springs, and a very low end damper in both legs. It does look cool though, i rebuilt one a few years back & sold it. They hold around 750ml of oil & are heavy, like SUPER heavy.

Just like you guessed converting to the Super Monster would require literally everything changed aside from the crown & lowers I'd guess

Longer springs, cartridges & stanchions. All things that would be just about impossible to source.

Of course if you aren't looking to ride it, just look at it. You can always pull the stanchions out far enough on the T2 to look like a super monster.

"Ride and Work" you just hit the nail on the head there, mate. Same here, except more working, less riding Frown

Can you explain more about the dampers? I heard the Monster came with either hscv or SSV, neither of which I know anything about. What year is the Monster T2 that only came with springs? and by damper do you mean an open bath?

I have a 2002, and the 'adjusters' on it don't seem to do anything. A guy told me it was a hscv, but again I don't know what that means... thanks for any help!

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 23:37 Quote
The t2 had no adjusters, can't remember the year(s) but most T2's were oem.

If your adjusters do little to nothing confirm the oil is at the right height & weight. Stock should be golden spectro 125/150.

The SSV is a primitive damper, just an orifice aka hole that slows the oil in & out.

The HSVC is the best for the old Marzocchi's. More supple and firm depending on the input.

A good example of the difference would be riding down a trail at high speed and hitting a 4-5" root or rock without being prepared. The SSV would have a tendency to spike aka not be a good shock absorber. While the HSVC will take the hit without making you eat dirt or have your hands try & fly off the bars like the SSV.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 23:52 Quote
eshew wrote:
The t2 had no adjusters, can't remember the year(s) but most T2's were oem.

If your adjusters do little to nothing confirm the oil is at the right height & weight. Stock should be golden spectro 125/150.

The SSV is a primitive damper, just an orifice aka hole that slows the oil in & out.

The HSVC is the best for the old Marzocchi's. More supple and firm depending on the input.

A good example of the difference would be riding down a trail at high speed and hitting a 4-5" root or rock without being prepared. The SSV would have a tendency to spike aka not be a good shock absorber. While the HSVC will take the hit without making you eat dirt or have your hands try & fly off the bars like the SSV.

Makes great sense, Thank you. I will look into the oil.

were you a mechanic or just happen to like Marzocchi and know a lot about them?

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 7:25 Quote
The 2nd. In college rode a bunch. 20 years later still riding but do all my own service for a hobby. Marzocchi fork rebuilds are the.most rewarding. Pretty rare to open up a Marzocchi fork that's not worth saving. Can't say the same for the others.

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
eshew wrote:
The 2nd. In college rode a bunch. 20 years later still riding but do all my own service for a hobby. Marzocchi fork rebuilds are the.most rewarding. Pretty rare to open up a Marzocchi fork that's not worth saving. Can't say the same for the others.

I wish other manufacturers would actually strive to be the kind of companies that deserve comments like this.

Posted: Jul 9, 2022 at 13:39 Quote
Hi guys does anyone have or know where i can get a set of firm/heavy springs for my 2002 monster T forks cheers

Posted: Nov 10, 2022 at 1:58 Quote
Bump to the above question. I’m also interested in some more firm springs.

I have two sets of dampers, T2 and T1 ones. It looks like that the ones have different spring length and I need two separate sets of firm springs.

Posted: Dec 14, 2022 at 6:19 Quote
Monster t’s were designed from motorcycles trials forks that Marzocchi made. So look to trails forks…. Classic trials forks….these guys look interesting

https://www.rehforks.com/trials-forks

They seem to do custom work, maybe call them

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013126
Mobile Version of Website