Smuggler Update?

PB Forum :: Transition
Smuggler Update?
Previous Page |
Posted: May 20, 2020 at 8:20 Quote
Anyone heard any rumblings about an updated smuggler. Been looking to buy one but it appears they are basically sold out on their site. Guy in chat basically told me they didnt have any info on them being back in stock. I was curious given the other updates to transition's lineup if a new smuggler was on the way soon.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 9:25 Quote
There are rumors that Transition will replace it with a lighter down-country bike. But to me, that would be an entirely different bike as the Smuggler is burly and quite capable in the rough. I'd like the Smuggler to receive the refinements that the Scout and the Sentinel got and it would be prefect.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 11:37 Quote
Yeah it would be cool if they pulled over the frame design changes and maybe gave it a little more rear tire clearance. It would be interesting if they brought out a down-country bike, im not sure how different that really would be though.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 12:43 Quote
Oh, it's gonna be different. And awesome! I can't wait for the new model to be released. I already put down my deposit. In regards to the smuggler, as a former owner I will speak. I rode the SBG smuggler for two full seasons in all sorts of places in the northwest from all day singletrack to bike park laps. It is/was very capable for its modest travel numbers. I sent that bike for sure. The problem is the weight. It weighs the same as a Sentinel with nothing to show for it. I switched to the SBG Sentinel in April from the Smuggler and It really doesn't feel much different. That front wheel is a little further out there, but it hasn't been an issue at all. The sentinel is a pretty good climber for what it is and I don't think it gives up anything to the smuggler in that department. I used the same parts from the smuggler for the most part with a bit beefier fork. It weighs exactly HALF a pound more and is far more capable than the smuggler. I LOOOVE the idea behind the smuggler but as a bike it really doesn't make sense with trail bike travel and freeride weight. Bump it to 135 rear/ 150 front travel and shave a half pound or more from the frame and you have a killer! I will build the new model as my daily and then turn the Sentinel into a monster with coils and the Cascade LT link. Best of all worlds. If they do something close to what I suggested with the next Smuggler then maybe I could get down to one bike again, but who wants to have just one bike??

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 13:11 Quote
Yeah I really hope its a better pedaler. Where I live most of my trails are flat and flowy to the point I've pondered getting a light hardtail but I do a few trips to the bike park and Asheville area on some trails it would be nice to have a slacker more downhill capable bike. As much as I'd love to take advantage of the sale on the old sentinel, I get the feeling it's probably a lot more bike then I need. A downcountry/trail transition would be perfect for me I think.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 15:38 Quote
Big question, will transition still make aluminum frames? I really hope so, not everyone wants or can afford the extra grand+ for carbon......

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
Im wondering what the release timing is on a new model. I'm torn if i should just pull the trigger on a Santacruz tallboy or wait for whatever is coming. Id imagine they wouldnt wait too long between cutting production on the smuggler and introducing the new model but idk with the whole virus situation.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 20:44 Quote
mikeandbike wrote:
Im wondering what the release timing is on a new model. I'm torn if i should just pull the trigger on a Santacruz tallboy or wait for whatever is coming. Id imagine they wouldnt wait too long between cutting production on the smuggler and introducing the new model but idk with the whole virus situation.

A little bird told me end of June release.

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 11:11 Quote
garrisond5 wrote:
Oh, it's gonna be different. And awesome! I can't wait for the new model to be released. I already put down my deposit. In regards to the smuggler, as a former owner I will speak. I rode the SBG smuggler for two full seasons in all sorts of places in the northwest from all day singletrack to bike park laps. It is/was very capable for its modest travel numbers. I sent that bike for sure. The problem is the weight. It weighs the same as a Sentinel with nothing to show for it. I switched to the SBG Sentinel in April from the Smuggler and It really doesn't feel much different. That front wheel is a little further out there, but it hasn't been an issue at all. The sentinel is a pretty good climber for what it is and I don't think it gives up anything to the smuggler in that department. I used the same parts from the smuggler for the most part with a bit beefier fork. It weighs exactly HALF a pound more and is far more capable than the smuggler. I LOOOVE the idea behind the smuggler but as a bike it really doesn't make sense with trail bike travel and freeride weight. Bump it to 135 rear/ 150 front travel and shave a half pound or more from the frame and you have a killer! I will build the new model as my daily and then turn the Sentinel into a monster with coils and the Cascade LT link. Best of all worlds. If they do something close to what I suggested with the next Smuggler then maybe I could get down to one bike again, but who wants to have just one bike??

Yeah i'd love to take advantage on the discounts on the XG1 smuggler but my home trails are really too mellow for that bike but ive been super tempted to pull the trigger on one given there are a few red ones left

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 17:46 Quote
Saw a shop selling their demo smugglers..Idk what's coming down the pipe.
I know the new bikes have jumped up to "dentist money" status.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 9:30 Quote
listening to the pinkbike podcast and their upcoming xc field test it sounded like there are a few downcountry bikes that are under embargo so hopefully the transition is in that group

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 15:26 Quote
Any news? The Smuggler is no longer available on the transition website !!!!

Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 15:50 Quote
The plot thickens...

Posted: Jun 13, 2020 at 7:45 Quote
...IT...IS.....COMING......

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007038
Mobile Version of Website