I bought an e-bike and I'm not ashamed.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
I bought an e-bike and I'm not ashamed.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 19:24 Quote
After having pretty much every dream bike I would have wanted, I went out and bought a Specialized Levo SL a couple weeks back to try out an ebike. I thought I would feel bad about it, but I truthfully do not. I'm still just as tired after a 20 mile ride, but I'm able to clear things that I never could before and I have more energy to focus on the downhills, allowing me to go faster with more precision. I don't see the need for a full power ebike as I'm reasonably fit and this one weighs 38lbs and handles just like prior trail and enduro bikes I have had. When ebikes first made their debut I laughed at them, then I looked down on the riders that rode them, then I got jealous of the riders riding them and not being too tired to enjoy the downhills, and now ebikes will have a permanent home in my stable.

Sorry for the rant, had to get that off my chest. I can't tell my friends or girlfriend, they may disown me.

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 at 15:24 Quote
If your having fun, keep doing what your doing.

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 at 17:11 Quote
I bought one too waiting for it to ship frey ex pro better specs than anything I could find with mainstream brands battery motor wise

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2020 at 11:07 Quote
I bought a Levo Sl about 3 weeks ago. For me, it's all about fitness and fun. I enjoy more of both on the SL. I ride with fairly low support but can now take on more hills with less discretion and extend my rides further with less pain. It's now my only bike and I just don't care what others think.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 0:42 Quote
mfmediocremtb wrote:
After having pretty much every dream bike I would have wanted, I went out and bought a Specialized Levo SL a couple weeks back to try out an ebike. I thought I would feel bad about it, but I truthfully do not. I'm still just as tired after a 20 mile ride, but I'm able to clear things that I never could before and I have more energy to focus on the downhills, allowing me to go faster with more precision. I don't see the need for a full power ebike as I'm reasonably fit and this one weighs 38lbs and handles just like prior trail and enduro bikes I have had. When ebikes first made their debut I laughed at them, then I looked down on the riders that rode them, then I got jealous of the riders riding them and not being too tired to enjoy the downhills, and now ebikes will have a permanent home in my stable.

Sorry for the rant, had to get that off my chest. I can't tell my friends or girlfriend, they may disown me.
Looks like you in reality are ashamed, you can't even tell friends or gf... Big Grin
You should buy e-dirt bike next, imagine how little tired you will be then. Or if you just stay home, not tired at all Big Grin

FL
Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 3:25 Quote
I am resisting the temptation and have not ridden one yet because I know if I do I will want one. I don't have an issue with them, I just have an issue with some of the people who ride them, as their attitude on the trail is similar to Audi drivers on the road. I think for normal trail centre use they aren't really necessary, but I could sure make the most of one riding around in the Peak district etc where the climbs are long, steep and technical. They definitely have their place and I'm sure I'll get one in the next few years.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 4:27 Quote
The thing is I'm sure E-bikes are great fun and all that, but if you want a powered 2 wheeled vehicle because you don't want to pedal so much and are not bothered by the weight, then why drop 10k on an E-bike when you can drop 2 or 3k on a pit bike? Why not just take up that hobby instead? In fact pit bikes can be had for £600 and yet people drop 10'000 on a bicycle that only adds an extra 500watts max. And if your E-bike weighs north of 40lbs then lets not even get started on how pointless a carbon frame is in this instance.

It's not so much E-bikes aren't cool, it's more the fact they are takinv away from the idea of what a human powered bicycle is. Imagine looking at it from the perspective as yoh are buying a motorcycle, but the shop tells you 2/3 of the power output you gonna have to pedal. By the way this bike we are selling costs 10x more money than the 50hp pitbike with better brakes and suspension.

It's not so much people wouldn't like one as it is they are an absolute rip off and are filling some un-neccessary weird void. I've got a model rc car that produces 15'000 watts and these e-bikes are adding on a measley 500watts at 10 x the cost of a dirt bike with 100 x more power..

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 4:48 Quote
The reason people don't just buy a motorbike (or pit bike) instead of an ebike is the same reason as they don't by a motorbike instead of a normal mountain bike, its not much to do with cost, as even normal mountain bike are expensive compared to motor bikes. The problem with a motorbike in the UK is that there are not that many places to ride off road, a ebike gets you access to all the same trails as your current mountain bike, that's why they're so popular, and it gives you a personal uplift, so more descents for any given effort.

I don't have an ebike yet, but will be getting one shortly.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 6:07 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
The thing is I'm sure E-bikes are great fun and all that, but if you want a powered 2 wheeled vehicle because you don't want to pedal so much and are not bothered by the weight, then why drop 10k on an E-bike when you can drop 2 or 3k on a pit bike?

I've had numerous dirt bikes and street bikes, don't really have any desire for them anymore. I enjoy bicycling and getting out into nature. This allows me to go further and go after trails I might not have done in the past. I get just as much of a workout, I just do so over a longer distance.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 6:54 Quote
mfmediocremtb wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
The thing is I'm sure E-bikes are great fun and all that, but if you want a powered 2 wheeled vehicle because you don't want to pedal so much and are not bothered by the weight, then why drop 10k on an E-bike when you can drop 2 or 3k on a pit bike?

I've had numerous dirt bikes and street bikes, don't really have any desire for them anymore. I enjoy bicycling and getting out into nature. This allows me to go further and go after trails I might not have done in the past. I get just as much of a workout, I just do so over a longer distance.

Fair point. What about when the battery dies, is it a chore to carry on biking?

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 7:03 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
mfmediocremtb wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:

Fair point. What about when the battery dies, is it a chore to carry on biking?

Thats actually why I hadn't bought one until recently. The Levo SL feels like a normal (albeit slightly heavy) bike without power. It doesn't climb as easily as something like my TI hardtail, but honestly its hardly different than some of the AM bikes I have had. I ride it without power quite a bit.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 8:09 Quote
mfmediocremtb wrote:
Heard this argument before. Sub question - when you go to gym, do you use motor assisted gear to lift 200lbs instead of 50? Make 1000 reps instead of 100? Its kind of same thing from principle point of view... Smile

FL
Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 8:13 Quote
onyxss wrote:
mfmediocremtb wrote:
Heard this argument before. Sub question - when you go to gym, do you use motor assisted gear to lift 200lbs instead of 50? Make 1000 reps instead of 100? Its kind of same thing from principle point of view... Smile

It's not though is it. Going to the gym is for the sole purpose of getting fit and building muscle. Bike riding is primarily for the fun of riding, the fitness part is a nice bonus.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
onyxss wrote:
mfmediocremtb wrote:

It's not though is it. Going to the gym is for the sole purpose of getting fit and building muscle. Bike riding is primarily for the fun of riding, the fitness part is a nice bonus.

This is true, I think the problem with E-bikes is they are blurring a line that was clearly distinguished before. Like everything else they are only going to improve technologically, get more powerful every year. It's only the law that is holding the progress of how powerful they get....just as enduro bikes are starting to get heavier again for performance, the general cycling industry is following a direction towards full automation and making everything easier for the rider. As I say if not for rules regulating the power output of these bikes they would eventually become electrified motorcross bikes.

Can you imagine someone seeing two E bikes for the same price, except one outputs 500 watts and the other 20hp and the buyer saying oh I'll settle for the less powerful one as I like to pedal...that will never happen.

This is akin to have a Rolex and buying an apple watch, they might both tell the time but they are not the same experience, and people still want that Rolex over an Apple watch.

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 1:31 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Davec85 wrote:
onyxss wrote:

This is true, I think the problem with E-bikes is they are blurring a line that was clearly distinguished before. Like everything else they are only going to improve technologically, get more powerful every year. It's only the law that is holding the progress of how powerful they get....just as enduro bikes are starting to get heavier again for performance, the general cycling industry is following a direction towards full automation and making everything easier for the rider. As I say if not for rules regulating the power output of these bikes they would eventually become electrified motorcross bikes.

Can you imagine someone seeing two E bikes for the same price, except one outputs 500 watts and the other 20hp and the buyer saying oh I'll settle for the less powerful one as I like to pedal...that will never happen.

This is akin to have a Rolex and buying an apple watch, they might both tell the time but they are not the same experience, and people still want that Rolex over an Apple watch.
Yes, maybe you are right, MTB industry is obviously targeting people who didn't not cycle before with this moto bikes (a loooot of new customers, $$$).
Personally i don't like the idea that everything should be accessible to everyone. If you are not fit enough to get to top, just train more or stay on the bottom and ride road. But beacuse $$$ is the king, that will not be true. You can see obvious example in alpinism i.e. Mt. Everest - there you pay enough money and mountain guides will almost carry you to the top so you can get the selfie pic... Big Grin In the "old" days only really prepared people went there, today picture is quite bizzare with several hundreds of people in base camp, walking in queue to the top along static ropes...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010300
Mobile Version of Website