Specialized Punches for Removing Bearings?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Specialized Punches for Removing Bearings?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
Wondering if there are specialized punches for removing bearings and if so what they are called.

I have a Wheels mfg press for installation and adapters for removing a few types of bearings. Ideally I'd be looking for something more universal (i.e. Something designed to work with a hammer) but maybe just buying more adapters is the best way to go on this front.

I also know and have used screw drivers before when the bearings are hard to get at. But this method definitely puts uneven pressure on the races which is less than ideal (and at times leaves you tapping on seals if you're not careful).

In experience there are proper tools for most applications which make things easier. I assume something is out there. I just don't know what it's called.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 12:14 Quote
Something like this blind hole bearing puller kit for example?

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/inner-bearing-puller-set-remover-slide-hammer-internal-kit-8-32mm-9pc-blind-hole~c10610~p12125694/?exta=gshp&stat=eyJpcCI6IjI3LjU5IiwiZHAiOjAsImxpZCI6IjE2ODU5NjU0IiwicyI6IjkiLCJ0IjoxNTkzNTUzNjY3LCJibWMiOiIyLjUifQ==&lid=16859654&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhbzQ3-Cs6gIVwtmyCh198Q3gEAkYASABEgKJffD_BwE

Uses a slide hammer and removes bearings (between 8-32mm i.d.) safely and easily.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 14:05 Quote
the Wheel mfg press is a great tool set and you you can easily use it for extracting bearings. if you dont have all the fittings, a socket will usually work for extraction.

In my experience, there is little application for a blind hole bearing extractor on a bicycle.

Generally, you dont have to worry about the pressure you put on a bearing race during extraction, as the primary reason to extract an MTB bearing is so you can replace it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007431
Mobile Version of Website