2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 20:01 Quote
Alpione wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I was actually waiting for the new Hightower to come out but when it did the prices were so crazy for what you get that it really put me off of it.

It's interesting that you liked the Tallboy though. That's a Fox 34 setup but I guess you didn't find it too flexy?

Yeah Santa Cruz has gone full boutique with the pricing and availability, shame because their bikes are getting really good.

34s are fine for me at 130mm, but I'd prefer a Pike as it's noticeably stiffer and just as plush. Updated Tallboy 5 should be out very soon, so you could try and score a deal on the outgoing model if you can find one (good luck). Or get a lightly used one from the buysell from someone who just has to have the new one

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 5:54 Quote
Tinshield wrote:
Tallboy is pretty stout, so is the Trek Fuel EX

Coincidentally, I'm looking to upgrade from a 2020 Fuel EX8. That does have a 34, but it's the lower end Rhythm model and obvious a few years old. I've been curious how the new 2022 34 does in comparison, particularly at the Performance Elite level w/ Grip2.

lyzyrdskydr wrote:

Yeah Santa Cruz has gone full boutique with the pricing and availability, shame because their bikes are getting really good.

34s are fine for me at 130mm, but I'd prefer a Pike as it's noticeably stiffer and just as plush. Updated Tallboy 5 should be out very soon,

Yep, the Tallboy is probably a better fit for my local trails than the Hightower, so if the TB5 comes out soon with updates similar to the Hightower, I may end up sucking it up and spending the money. It's tough to justify though. Even the $7k model only has Performance level suspension and base Code R brakes. Sheesh.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
westonp80 wrote:
Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but has anyone confirmed if a Fox Float X2 will fit the standard 2021-2022 Stumpjumper? I know it will fit the new Stumpy Evo...but curious if the Regular Stumpy has enough room?

Thanks!

I have yet to see that set up, looking at mine i doubt the aircan would clear the strut. The new float X is superior to the X2, so if you can get one of those tuned up i bet it would be sick

Good info...much appreciated!

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 10:07 Quote
AtommyK wrote:
What reasonnably priced wheelset (no more than 700 €) would you recommend to me? I read some great things about Hunt Trail Wide V2 which are really affordable (around 380 €) but not sure if the step from OEM wheels would be so big...

Just to thank all of you who gave me an advice. I'll have a look to all your suggestions. Wink

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 10:26 Quote
Anyone know about putting the shorter s1/2/3/4 rear end on a s5?

It's the right sized bike for me but it's so bloody long! I'm curious to see what it would be like with the shorter back fitted if its possible

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 10:38 Quote
mb23 wrote:

It's the right sized bike for me but it's so bloody long! I'm curious to see what it would be like with the shorter back fitted if its possible

Seems like it could work, if you think that a 10mm shorter chainstay would really help you. I went with an S3 over an S4 for a shorter top tube even though I'm 5'11".

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 11:49 Quote
mb23 wrote:

It's been done, but obviously with the regular SJ you need to buy the whole rear triangle which is pricey. On the Evo you can just swap the seat stays. That said from my experience from bikes with adjustable dropouts is that the shorter setting makes the reach/front end feel longer since your weight is pushed back. If the bike feels long you may be better off downsizing to an S4

I'm 6'5"/195 and some would say S6 is the "right size" but I much prefer S5

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 12:25 Quote
Yeah it's an evo, should have mentioned that.

Ah good news if it's just the seat stays.

I like the reach, but am used to shorter rear ends I think. It's out of curiosity more than anything. She's a long old thing to get round tight stuff!

Cool, I'll have a word with my shop, cheers

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 14:13 Quote
Hey there my fellow Stumpy owners...

TIRES

I've almost finished my second season on my 2021 carbon Stumpjumper. I've currently got 3 plugs on my back Purgatory T7 tire (one near the rim), and 1 plug on my Butcher (got it in the middle of a race)

I'm looking to obviously replace my back tire. Any recommendations?? (my buddy offered me a Butcher Grid Trail for the back btw, thinks it would benefit my style).
Biking habits...I'm always in race mode it seems, lots of climbing, lots of enduro descents. I'm hard on my bike...probably too hard lol.
Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 14:16 Quote
I run a Minion DHR II in the back and an Ass Guy 2.5 front.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 14:19 Quote
Second the DHR2 in back, it's perfect. I run a tr casing, but with a full boat CushCore on my EVO and it's lasted much longer than the Spesh tire without shedding the outer blocks or needing lots of plugs.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 14:42 Quote
Dhr2 front and rear
Ive timed several times my local loop and I’ve found out that despite feeling faster on a ground control grid t7 set I am only 2 to 3% slower overall on the Dhr2 set but the confidence gain in the downhill is huge. So I gave up with lighter rolling tires for the stumpy

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 14:49 Quote
I run MaxxTerra in the back and MaxxGrip up front. Perfect combo imo.

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 15:09 Quote
Ground control t7 rear, 2.5 assegai front

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 15:14 Quote
I guess I'm asking if I should be confident putting the Butcher on the back? (which he's giving them to me for only a 4 pack of beer) Buddy says I won't notice the very slight extra drag from it. If not recommended, DHR2 sounds like something that might work for me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012635
Mobile Version of Website