2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Author Message
Posted: Feb 1, 2023 at 15:11 Quote
Tallboy sounds sick! Love the 2020 purple color with a silver pike.

Posted: Feb 1, 2023 at 15:39 Quote
a-prince wrote:
Tallboy sounds sick! Love the 2020 purple color with a silver pike.

You mean like this?
Better photo of the new bike.

Posted: Feb 1, 2023 at 16:10 Quote
seraph wrote:
IMO the Tallboy blows the Stumpy out of the water. I would still have one if I didn't work at a Specialized dealer that doesn't sell SC. That said, I could easily build an S-Works Stumpjumper up sub-30 lbs and it would slay XC descents while still climbing quite well.

Curious to see what differences you like between the two? I feel like the Stumpjumper with that extra 10mm at both ends (and especially with a 150mm front fork and a mullet setup) could be a little more capable downhill but wanted your opinion as I was torn between the Tallboy, Pivot Trail 429 and the Stumpjumper but wanted that little extra.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2023 at 4:41 Quote
seraph wrote:
My Tallboy 4 was 27 lbs with a a 140mm Pike Ultimate, 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon tires, E.13 TRS cranks, G2 Ultimates, XX1 AXS, a 170mm AXS Reverb, and an Enve cockpit. My Stumpjumper Carbon is 30 lbs with similar parts but a lot beefier tires (Assegai 2.5 MaxxGrip up front and DHR 2.3 MaxxTerra out back).

You can build a Stumpjumper considerably lighter than the Tallboy, or the beloved Ripley for that matter.

With an S Works SJ frame, using the same parts on your build you could knock close to 1.5 pounds off from your Tallboy’s weight.

S Works SJ in medium is 2250 grams. That’s 600 grams LIGHTER than the Tallboy CC frame. About 300 grams lighter than the Ripley.

I don’t think people realize how light the S Works SJ frame is. Or really any carbon Stumpjumper since it’s just the yoke that’s different (carbon on the S Works).

Posted: Feb 3, 2023 at 9:59 Quote
jon123rjk wrote:
seraph wrote:
My Tallboy 4 was 27 lbs with a a 140mm Pike Ultimate, 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon tires, E.13 TRS cranks, G2 Ultimates, XX1 AXS, a 170mm AXS Reverb, and an Enve cockpit. My Stumpjumper Carbon is 30 lbs with similar parts but a lot beefier tires (Assegai 2.5 MaxxGrip up front and DHR 2.3 MaxxTerra out back).

You can build a Stumpjumper considerably lighter than the Tallboy, or the beloved Ripley for that matter.

With an S Works SJ frame, using the same parts on your build you could knock close to 1.5 pounds off from your Tallboy’s weight.

S Works SJ in medium is 2250 grams. That’s 600 grams LIGHTER than the Tallboy CC frame. About 300 grams lighter than the Ripley.

I don’t think people realize how light the S Works SJ frame is. Or really any carbon Stumpjumper since it’s just the yoke that’s different (carbon on the S Works).

It's mainly the tires that are the largest difference in weight between my 2 builds. The 2.6 Rekon tires are single ply and quite light despite their width. My Assegai/DHR combo is 1.37 lbs heavier than the setup on the Tallboy. Also my Reserve 30/Tune Enduro wheelset is probably about .25-.5 lbs heavier than my old No.9 36W/Tune wheelset. Otherwise same drivetrain, same cranks, same brakes, same seatpost, same fork (mostly).

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 11:26 Quote
I went from one of those purple Tallboys long shocked (I loved that bike) and with the cascade components link, to a s-works stumpjumper exactly for the weight savings. No regrets from me.

My build is 25lb with xx1 axs and axs dropper and Berd wheels. That’s a full ~2lb lighter than the Tallboy with the same components.

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 11:38 Quote
I'm actually thinking about keeping my rims and re-lacing new hubs with Berd spokes to see if I can drop my bike below 30 lbs. I love my Tune hubs but they're purple and my color scheme is bronze/copper/gold

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 18:43 Quote
seraph wrote:
I'm actually thinking about keeping my rims and re-lacing new hubs with Berd spokes to see if I can drop my bike below 30 lbs. I love my Tune hubs but they're purple and my color scheme is bronze/copper/gold

I have no regrets about the berds 2yrs into owning them. They def ride a bit differently than regular spoked wheels, they seem to have an extra amount of compliance that I really like.

Tune hubs seem great. Would likely be lighter than my Hydra's

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 23:37 Quote
They are light for sure. If they weren't purple I might keep them. My last build had purple accents.

Edit: so I'm thinking that either this guy is lying, or someone put lead weights in my Stumpy frame.
Link: https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/apelcar2/evil-insurgent-masterpiece

Guy claims 30 lbs.

Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 12:06 Quote
Anyone 6'0" and run a S5 Stumpy?

I normally run a S4 (both my Enduro and Evo), but I found a last year S5 S-Works frame on closeout. Tempted....but 500mm reach is longer than I've ever ridden. CS and WB are also a bit longer than what I would expect for a bike with these intentions.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 12:57 Quote
a-prince wrote:
Anyone 6'0" and run a S5 Stumpy?

I normally run a S4 (both my Enduro and Evo), but I found a last year S5 S-Works frame on closeout. Tempted....but 500mm reach is longer than I've ever ridden. CS and WB are also a bit longer than what I would expect for a bike with these intentions.

at 6'3 the S5 was a bit long for me when seated. Reach felt fine but for a bike that you are going to be seated pedaling 90% of the time, youre probably going to want something comfortable.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 13:04 Quote
seraph wrote:
They are light for sure. If they weren't purple I might keep them. My last build had purple accents.

Edit: so I'm thinking that either this guy is lying, or someone put lead weights in my Stumpy frame.
Link: https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/apelcar2/evil-insurgent-masterpiece

Guy claims 30 lbs.

i would assume he's about 5lbs off.

Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 13:08 Quote
That was my thought as well. Coil rear, alloy rims, alloy bars.

Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 13:12 Quote
Thanks...just dreaming I guess. Here is the link if someone is interested: https://www.actionwheels.com/product/specialized-s-works-stumpjumper-frame-385380-1.htm

Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 13:24 Quote
a-prince wrote:
Anyone 6'0" and run a S5 Stumpy?

I normally run a S4 (both my Enduro and Evo), but I found a last year S5 S-Works frame on closeout. Tempted....but 500mm reach is longer than I've ever ridden. CS and WB are also a bit longer than what I would expect for a bike with these intentions.

I'm 6'2" and run an S5 EVO, but I think I'd stick to an S4 for the regular Stumpy. I just wanted the high speed stability for the EVO, it is a bit silly in tight, technical trail since the EVO has longer stays on the S5 and S6 too, not sure about the regular one.


 


Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008344
Mobile Version of Website