Norco Sight 2021 in the house

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Sight 2021 in the house
Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 22:50 Quote
dhftw1231 wrote:
mrpercussive wrote:
dhftw1231 wrote:

So I’ve got the frame, and have discovered I’ll also need a shock, is 185 x 52.5 the only size that works or has anyone tried running a longer stroke? Trying to maximise options to buy with limited stock here.

185x55 might have some clearance issues with some of the carbon frames in certain sizes if i remember correctly as they run bearings on the bottom mount. I can't remember exactly which sizes. Don't think this is an issue for the alloy frames. I'm running 55mm stroke on my medium alloy 29er frame and it's been fine so far

yeah this is what ive been reading. it seems to be aircan clearance with the super deluxes. I read a comment saying a guy had put on a Marzo CR coil at 55mm stroke with no issues, but no mention of what frame material he had. This is a shock size I could actually get... any thoughts on the potential clearance issues with a coil? I have a XL btw

Think you should be fine with the coil. The clearance issue is more so for the Super Deluxe at full bottom there were issues with the very tip of the air can contacting shock mount on the bottom. With the coil shock, it wouldn't matter as the clip that holds the spring on the shock is always in the same place

Posted: Mar 17, 2022 at 14:16 Quote
DMal wrote:
What is everyone’s experience with fork settings recommended by the Norco setup guide?

Going up to Semi-Pro or Pro, the setup guide recommends an extra token and just one more psi than that recommended for expert.

I've just picked up a 2021 C1 27.5 and have been looking at the setup guide.

Seems strange that both the Lyrik and Super Deluxe Select + show as having 2 tokens by default, but the setup guide suggests one token in the fork and 3 in the shock for all rider weights, heights and abilities (from 55kg beginner through to 109kg pro)

The pressures and rebound / compression settings change, but the token suggestions stay the same. Does this sound right? What are other peoples findings re tokens, and the other settings in general, for a light (60kg) rider on a small?

Posted: Mar 30, 2022 at 20:16 Quote
michael986 wrote:
DMal wrote:
What is everyone’s experience with fork settings recommended by the Norco setup guide?

Going up to Semi-Pro or Pro, the setup guide recommends an extra token and just one more psi than that recommended for expert.

I've just picked up a 2021 C1 27.5 and have been looking at the setup guide.

Seems strange that both the Lyrik and Super Deluxe Select + show as having 2 tokens by default, but the setup guide suggests one token in the fork and 3 in the shock for all rider weights, heights and abilities (from 55kg beginner through to 109kg pro)

The pressures and rebound / compression settings change, but the token suggestions stay the same. Does this sound right? What are other peoples findings re tokens, and the other settings in general, for a light (60kg) rider on a small?

It ends up being terrain and riding style dependent, so some experimentation will need to happen.

I have a C2 Optic with the Pike Select + fork, and I run with 0 tokens and ~70psi. I am 170lbs without gear, and not a huge jumper. But I found Norco's ride align settings were too harsh for suspension, although I almost follow their suggestions for tire pressures.

Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 10:49 Quote
Hey guys, new owner of a 2021 Norco Sight A3. I'm putting a coil on the back (Super Deluxe Ultimate), and would like to know what spring rates you guys run. 6'3", 207lbs with gear. Spring calculators put me just under a 650lb spring.

Hopefully someone in here rides a coil and can let me know what spring rate they run at their weight! Thanks.

Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 11:59 Quote
riggadon wrote:
Hey guys, new owner of a 2021 Norco Sight A3. I'm putting a coil on the back (Super Deluxe Ultimate), and would like to know what spring rates you guys run. 6'3", 207lbs with gear. Spring calculators put me just under a 650lb spring.

Hopefully someone in here rides a coil and can let me know what spring rate they run at their weight! Thanks.

i would consider running a progressive spring at our weight, 200-210.

Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
riggadon wrote:

What's your reasoning behind running a progressive spring? I've heard the linkage is progressive enough to be run with a linear spring. Curious if you've ridden the coil

Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 12:05 Quote
riggadon wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:
riggadon wrote:

What's your reasoning behind running a progressive spring? I've heard the linkage is progressive enough to be run with a linear spring. Curious if you've ridden the coil

Its the opposite, the stock linkage is linear, the stock shocks have heavy tunes on them due to the leverage ratio..
I believe most people who want coil and for it to work good is overstroking or going to a cascade link.
Lighter guys may get away with it, when i asked norco they said the bike was designed for air.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 12:13 Quote
I think the bike is like 19% progressive. Depending on who you ask that is not quite coil adequate. I do not know, but I'd say if it is not quite progressive enough, its close to the fine line. Pretty subjective though. I'd say go with a standard spring and lean to the side of a heavier weight to maintain a little more hold up, since you're coming off air it will still be supple but maybe not blow through travel due to not being a super progressive bike. Once you get a feel for that then you can toy around with the idea of getting a progressive spring from DVO or CaneCreek or whoever the hell else makes them.

Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 13:09 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
riggadon wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:

Its the opposite, the stock linkage is linear, the stock shocks have heavy tunes on them due to the leverage ratio..
I believe most people who want coil and for it to work good is overstroking or going to a cascade link.
Lighter guys may get away with it, when i asked norco they said the bike was designed for air.

Good to know, thanks. I ended up going with the 55 mm stroke shock with a 650 lb linear spring, for what that's worth. I'll report back with my findings after a few rides.

Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 13:13 Quote
nskerb wrote:
I think the bike is like 19% progressive. Depending on who you ask that is not quite coil adequate. I do not know, but I'd say if it is not quite progressive enough, its close to the fine line. Pretty subjective though. I'd say go with a standard spring and lean to the side of a heavier weight to maintain a little more hold up, since you're coming off air it will still be supple but maybe not blow through travel due to not being a super progressive bike. Once you get a feel for that then you can toy around with the idea of getting a progressive spring from DVO or CaneCreek or whoever the hell else makes them.

I ended up going with the cheap standard spring at 650 lb, to make sure that's the right coil weight for me. Luckily there are a couple progressive springs available that fit rockshox.

I've never really liked the progressive feel of air shocks, so I do think I prefer a more linear feel. Guess we'll see when it arrives!

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 13:18 Quote
To add a data point, I'm running a 55-stroke coil shock with the stock linkage. I'm about 170 lbs and running a 550 linear spring. I also tried a 500-610 progressive spring but preferred the linear spring - it stays higher in its travel whereas the progressive spring at that rate felt a touch wallowy, and the linear spring is smoother deeper in the stroke (less ramp, I guess), without any noticeable hard bottom-outs.

I agree that on paper, 19% progression seems better-suited to an air shock. But I was curious about running a coil shock so I bought a Cane Creek shock for cheap just to try it and ended up preferring it to the stock Super Deluxe with both regular and Meg Neg air cans. I like how it sits higher in its travel without feeling harsh off the top like a low-sag setup on air air shock, yet it does a better job of smoothing medium-sized hits deeper in the stroke.

It's worth taking a look at these team bike checks. I picked the spring rate used by the rider that weighed a similar amount to me and it is spot-on. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-comparing-norco-factory-racings-sight-enduro-setups.html

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 13:41 Quote
DMal wrote:
To add a data point, I'm running a 55-stroke coil shock with the stock linkage. I'm about 170 lbs and running a 550 linear spring. I also tried a 500-610 progressive spring but preferred the linear spring - it stays higher in its travel whereas the progressive spring at that rate felt a touch wallowy, and the linear spring is smoother deeper in the stroke (less ramp, I guess), without any noticeable hard bottom-outs.

I agree that on paper, 19% progression seems better-suited to an air shock. But I was curious about running a coil shock so I bought a Cane Creek shock for cheap just to try it and ended up preferring it to the stock Super Deluxe with both regular and Meg Neg air cans. I like how it sits higher in its travel without feeling harsh off the top like a low-sag setup on air air shock, yet it does a better job of smoothing medium-sized hits deeper in the stroke.

It's worth taking a look at these team bike checks. I picked the spring rate used by the rider that weighed a similar amount to me and it is spot-on. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-comparing-norco-factory-racings-sight-enduro-setups.html

I'm damn near your same weight. What stroke length is your coil shock? 52.5 or 55? Might have to give the col a go. Just put a DVO Diamond on mine and excited to see how it does. Time to upgrade the rear.

Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 14:52 Quote
nskerb wrote:
DMal wrote:

I'm damn near your same weight. What stroke length is your coil shock? 52.5 or 55? Might have to give the col a go. Just put a DVO Diamond on mine and excited to see how it does. Time to upgrade the rear.

Check his post

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 16:22 Quote
riggadon wrote:
nskerb wrote:
DMal wrote:

Check his post

Lol how did I miss that.

Posted: Apr 5, 2022 at 17:41 Quote
Hey guys, just wanted to share some updates to my Sight and provide some sizing/ parts info. The bike now has a Zeb Ultimate up front and a Super Deluxe Ultimate coil in the rear with a Sprindex spring.

I'm 6'3", 208lbs with gear, riding a 2021 Sight A3, size XL, 27.5". The bike feels nice and roomy, just how I like it. The Zeb Ultimate feels like a major step up from the stock Yari RC. The reasons I went with the Zeb were to stiffen up the front end and improve damping. I'm happy to report that it's a huge improvement over the stock Yari RC, which at my weight felt flexy. The Zeb brings a ton of confidence and is super plush.

2021 Norco Sight A3

2021 Norco Sight A3

The Super Deluxe Ultimate is 185x55, no clearance issues with the longer stroke. The Sprindex 610-690 55mm stroke spring is progressive in the last 20% of travel and feels very supportive. No issues with bottoming or feeling too linear that others have mentioned. Right now I feel my ideal spring rate is between 610-630 lbs. 650 felt too stiff for trail riding, but may have it's use on freeride features. The shock's lockout switch gives a nice firm pedaling platform, but I haven't felt the need to use it much since it pedals well without it.

Putting a coil on the rear improved the damping, while losing the poppy progressive feeling of the air shock. It feels more planted and is a worthwhile tradeoff imo. I think heavier riders will benefit the most from a coil shock, since it gives a more bottomless, plush feel throughout the stroke which is hard to get from an air shock at high PSI. Overall I feel more confident riding with the coil and it's definitely worth the ~560g weight gain. Can't say I notice the extra weight.

Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate coil 185x55 with Sprindex 610-690lb 55mm spring

Weight of coil vs stock air can

Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate coil 185x55 with Sprindex 610-690lb 55mm spring

Rockshox Deluxe Select shock

More weights for nerds Geek

Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate 185x55 shock only

Sprindex 610-690lb 55mm spring

The only addition from here will be a 60mm riser bar.

Fire away with any questions!!! Salute

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012460
Mobile Version of Website