Powered by Outside

Newbie, trying to fix my bike. Need advice on bearings and front mech...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Newbie, trying to fix my bike. Need advice on bearings and front mech...
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 3:18 Quote
I bought a Marin Bobcat Trail 4 not so long ago and have been riding every day like 20 miles around local trails and stuff.
So after so many rides I was going down this hill face littered with boulders, I notice my front mech is hanging.
It seemed fine but the adjuster screw is broken and it's not been the same since. Can't get it right at all. Have to shift twice and the chains just coming off.
I want to upgrade but haven't got a clue what I need to buy.
I can only afford something under £40 but want one better than the Shimano Atlus I've currently got.

Also after like a week of riding I noticed my wheel was wobbling and the nut was literally hand loose.
I fixed that but after trying to throw my bike around 180 like a super cool dude I've buckled my wheel and I can hear the bearing not sounding so great.
I want to buy new bearings but also not sure what to get?

I have a friend who worked as a mechanic in one planet llandegla if I completely fail to do it myself but want to give it a go without having to bother him first.

I've just ordered a
chain de linker
a cassette tool
a cone spanner
grease
spoke wrench
chain whip

Now What front mech can I buy that fits on my bike.
What bearings fit on my bike?

Heres some pics...

photo
photo
photo

Thanks for any help

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 9:05 Quote
As with most things, knowing if it fits is knowing its size.

Remove a bearing and measure it, or take a loose ball bearing to the bike shop
and see what they have in stock, or can order for you.

Front mech, what size clamp ? measure seat tube diameter near where the
mech clamps.

Is the front mech top or bottom pull ? some have options for both, aswell as
clamp shims to suit different size seat tubes.

If it helps I may be able to throw a front mech to you, as I have an assorted
mix, Deore, SLX, Sachs amongst others, size depending, and free if the post
is a few quid.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
Before you monkey with it, clean it up. You may have blown the front derailleur, if the adjuster your talking about is the main cable tension. The trick with these front derailleurs is getting the right diameter replacement to match your frame. If you stripped the main cable attachment, you need a new one. It must be top or bottom pull to match what you had before. Plenty around cause most folks going to single ring up front. Try cleaning and reassembly first. If your front wheel is destroyed you can try restraightening against a tree, and getting it as close as possible, but that is only to get you home on a big ride. If your bearings are toast you can pull them with cone wrenches, clean and rebuild with fresh grease, peload perfect...but most stuff these days are "cartridge bearings" meaning not serviceable unless you really determined, and not worth the time and effort. If you blew a front wheel, get a new one used. If your blowing front derailleur, take it off and run chain length in the middle ring, get a cheap race face bash guard to replace your big ring. Props for banging hard, dont forget yer helmet...

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 5:45 Quote
I have a sunrace cassette and It's this that I can feel a little grinding, it has a little bit of wobble. Is it meant to? It's on tight.
I've taken everything apart and the bearings seem fine, was a lot of gunk inside.
I'll be greasing it all and putting it back together soon.
Got a spoke tool to straightern the wheel, its not that bad.

@nematon785 Thanks for the offer of a front mech. I will get back to you soon after I've finished with the wheel. I'm not sure what size clamp. I will measure and get back to you. after taking it off and cleaning it the only thing I can see wrong with it is one of the adjustment screws thread is half missing.
I don't know what what top down is, I'll take a pic and send it. I would be very interested if you had something for me.

Thanks for replying guys.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 0:18 Quote
It's the freehub that's causing the grinding sound
I can make a video if you like?
What do I do? I don't even know.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 11:48 Quote
I'd have it all stripped down and thoroughly cleaned,
re greased and put back together, at some point during
this effort you would come across any faults should there
be any.

Posted: Sep 28, 2020 at 0:52 Quote
I need a new freehub.
Can anyone tell me which one I need to buy?

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 23:02 Quote
DizzeeSpellz wrote:
I need a new freehub.
Can anyone tell me which one I need to buy?

Those are OEM from Marin directly, so you need to contact Marin for either replacements directly from them, our their source.

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 3:04 Quote
So for future reference, Marin emailed me back...

The Bobcat Trail 4's "JoyTech" brand rear hub_D142- DSE-B5, uses their #90704 freehub body

Got the wheel true, I'm not really noticing much griding now I've put it all back together.
Front mech thinks it's a 3 speed XD.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013631
Mobile Version of Website