Verdict on 38mm forks

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 14:01 Quote
Anyone who has the new forks, brand be damned, are they better? Was it worth the upgrade? Anybody tried one in place of a doublecrown? I always lusted for a 36 and the lyrik I ended up with was a pretty shag nasty fork. Felt like a dirt bike front end. Are the 38s for park and downhill only? Are they overkill for uphill bikes or an improvement? If the weight is the same would you take a double crown air for the same effect but more adjustability and raw butch factor? Might as well benefit from the knowledge gained by those that have been there, done that...

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 21:06 Quote
I have a Fox 38 and it is noticeably stiffer than a 36mm SRSuntour Durolux I ran. I weigh 245 lbs so it’s a welcome change. Riding my DVO Diamond now feels like a noodle at this point.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 21:14 Quote
nematon785 wrote:
Anyone who has the new forks, brand be damned, are they better? Was it worth the upgrade? Anybody tried one in place of a doublecrown? I always lusted for a 36 and the lyrik I ended up with was a pretty shag nasty fork. Felt like a dirt bike front end. Are the 38s for park and downhill only? Are they overkill for uphill bikes or an improvement? If the weight is the same would you take a double crown air for the same effect but more adjustability and raw butch factor? Might as well benefit from the knowledge gained by those that have been there, done that...

I got a Zeb and it is noticeable for sure. It just tracks better when descending in a good way. Been on a Z1 and factory 36 for the last 18 months. The zeb is far smoother and more stout. A 38 would be cool but I have always been of the opinion the rockshox forks run smoother for first third of the travel.

I plan on setting it to 150mm travel for my 135mm rear travel bike eventually. At 160mm now.

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 1:41 Quote
I bought a ZEB, not tried it yet. In regards to Rockshox feeling smoother at the start I have found that it is great for trails or going over curbs on your street but not so great when going to downhill centres. Fox are always very supportive and keep you high in the travel and have a supportive midstroke that ramps up well so I had way more confidence on a 36 than a Lyrik at the bike park, but in terms of comfort and small bump there is little difference. Howevwr at 50% more money for a Fox 38 and after Vorsprungs analysis of it, I decided to just get a ZEB as it has a stiffer and lighter chassis than the 38 and can always upgrade the internals to a coil or Vorsprung Secus. If I was gonna pay Fox 38 money and pay that price in weight I would probably just fit a Boxxer instead.

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 10:42 Quote
Where are all the zeb fenders? Every european shop has had them sold out for over a month now. No problem trying to get the fork but how can the integrated fender be so hard to find?

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
Marasdfg wrote:
Where are all the zeb fenders? Every european shop has had them sold out for over a month now. No problem trying to get the fork but how can the integrated fender be so hard to find?

Don't know if it fits but the RRP bolt on mudguard looks like a better option anyway, at least it's big enough to catch mud.

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 13:18 Quote
Just through a fox 38 on my Stumpjumper Evo. Made it feel like a downhill bike while still being amazing on the climbs. And as a 250-pound rider, I gotta say it is stiff as all hell.

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 14:57 Quote
carterjreid wrote:
Just through a fox 38 on my Stumpjumper Evo. Made it feel like a downhill bike while still being amazing on the climbs. And as a 250-pound rider, I gotta say it is stiff as all hell.

My thoughts exactly, after putting this on my Jeffsy.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2021 at 22:26 Quote
Removed, old thread

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010011
Mobile Version of Website