Reasons to not go to AXS

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2020 at 6:28 Quote
bajanmonkey wrote:

None of the higher end drivetrains (XX1, X01, XT, XTR) are needed. But there are improvements to be had.
You can't expect the actual shift of AXS to be smoother.....it's still the same chain and cassette.
For me the benefit of AXS (both dropper and drivetrain) is found in the actuation of the controllers. Minimal finger/hand motion required, with fire and forget shifting.

I generally agree with everything here, save one point--AXS shifts smoother under power. Not enough to justify the price, IMO, but it's definitely smoother.

Posted: Nov 3, 2020 at 7:03 Quote
dieskim wrote:
I'm kinda looking for the same answers, have always been lucky enough to ride xx1, but recently got xo1 and NX on New bikes.. Thing is that I know (and want to believe) xx1 is so much smoother, buy really during normal riding I'm struggling to find the difference. So that brings me back to why is ASX needed? I have never experienced any if the failures supposedly circumvented by ASX either. So if there is a good argument for ASX - I'm also waiting for it to get me over the line!

XX1 doesn't shift smoother than xo1 or even Gx, I had gold xx1 eagle on previous bike, now running an 1195 cassette with shimano shifter and derailleur on 11 speed and it anything the new setup is smoother, xx1 eagle always felt like the cassette teeth were too sharp if that makes sense, like it snags a bit and has a real clunk when shifting, I prefer shimano shifters still fast shifting but not violent.

Posted: Nov 3, 2020 at 15:36 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
dieskim wrote:
I'm kinda looking for the same answers, have always been lucky enough to ride xx1, but recently got xo1 and NX on New bikes.. Thing is that I know (and want to believe) xx1 is so much smoother, buy really during normal riding I'm struggling to find the difference. So that brings me back to why is ASX needed? I have never experienced any if the failures supposedly circumvented by ASX either. So if there is a good argument for ASX - I'm also waiting for it to get me over the line!

XX1 doesn't shift smoother than xo1 or even Gx, I had gold xx1 eagle on previous bike, now running an 1195 cassette with shimano shifter and derailleur on 11 speed and it anything the new setup is smoother, xx1 eagle always felt like the cassette teeth were too sharp if that makes sense, like it snags a bit and has a real clunk when shifting, I prefer shimano shifters still fast shifting but not violent.

This is a good read: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blogs/worldwide-cyclery-blog/sram-eagle-groupsets-compared-xx1-vs-x01-vs-gx-vs-nx-vs-sx-video

•  GX->X01->XX1 increases cost, decreases weight.
• X01 and XX1 have more adjustability than GX, and while the claim is faster shifting (and it is you, can stopwatch it), doesn't make a difference for me (II am not a pro).
• I do not believe XX1 is intended to be faster than X01.

Posted: Nov 3, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
Faster perhaps but smoother not. Imo Shimano has always had smoother less violent shifts than Sram and every 11 speed bike I have shifted on shifts smoother than 12 speed. Hell even 11 speed SLX on my sisters bike has nicer feeling shifts than xx1 eagle I had, granted the shifts are definitely slower but much smoother. And to top is off the old generation XTR I had years ago shifted smoother than anything today regardless what bro science and review websites say, I never remember my cassettes making a horrible metallic pinging noise in addition to a heavy clunk 15 years ago when I was running m960 XTR, that derailleur was smooth as butter..

Posted: Nov 3, 2020 at 17:54 Quote
I have AXS shifting on all 3 of my bikes. My Tallboy has XX1 AXS with a 9-52 cassette, my S-Works Crux has XX1/Red AXS with a 9-50 cassette, and my commuter has Red AXS with a 10-33 cassette. All 3 work flawlessly.

Now I will admit that I've had to warranty three SRAM AXS derailleurs for customers (2 XX1 Eagle and 1 Red) but SRAM was super quick with the replacement and there was no hassle.

Go AXS. You'll be happy you did.

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 at 0:13 Quote
I use the axs xx1 mech on my Capra. Seems as strong as the x01 version with the all metal cage.

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 at 1:50 Quote
seraph wrote:
I have AXS shifting on all 3 of my bikes. My Tallboy has XX1 AXS with a 9-52 cassette, my S-Works Crux has XX1/Red AXS with a 9-50 cassette, and my commuter has Red AXS with a 10-33 cassette. All 3 work flawlessly.

Now I will admit that I've had to warranty three SRAM AXS derailleurs for customers (2 XX1 Eagle and 1 Red) but SRAM was super quick with the replacement and there was no hassle.

I'm happy i didn't go AXS. I have aprox. 2000 extra reasons in pocket (stock XT on bike works perfectly). Or in your case that would be 6000 reasons - price of top-end complete bike. If money is no problem or you are sponsored racer - go AXS. For most others - you are throwing money out the window, you will not get 3x better shifting for 3x price you are paying Big Grin
This is roadie thinking, MTB-ers should spending ridiciolus amount of money into suspension/brakes/tyres/loud hubs. Literally in almost anything else BEFORE drivetrain. Well setup shifting from basic Deore onwards is perfect nowadays... Big Grin

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 at 15:14 Quote
onyxss wrote:
seraph wrote:

I'm happy i didn't go AXS. I have aprox. 2000 extra reasons in pocket (stock XT on bike works perfectly). Or in your case that would be 6000 reasons - price of top-end complete bike. If money is no problem or you are sponsored racer - go AXS. For most others - you are throwing money out the window, you will not get 3x better shifting for 3x price you are paying Big Grin
This is roadie thinking, MTB-ers should spending ridiciolus amount of money into suspension/brakes/tyres/loud hubs. Literally in almost anything else BEFORE drivetrain. Well setup shifting from basic Deore onwards is perfect nowadays... Big Grin

Any amount of money is worth not having elbow and hand pain when shifting. And I don't pay retail so your numbers are irrelevant.

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
I dont pay retail either...but not retail for XT is still lower than not retail for AXS

Posted: Nov 4, 2020 at 22:23 Quote
JustAnotherRiderHere wrote:
I dont pay retail either...but not retail for XT is still lower than not retail for AXS

Anything Shimano hurts my hand and elbow to shift. AXS is the only drivetrain I can run that won't cause me pain. Plus it works flawlessly and removes human error from shifting. I recommend it to all my customers who break chains and cassette teeth from mis-shifting.

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 0:38 Quote
seraph wrote:

Anything Shimano hurts my hand and elbow to shift. AXS is the only drivetrain I can run that won't cause me pain. Plus it works flawlessly and removes human error from shifting. I recommend it to all my customers who break chains and cassette teeth from mis-shifting.

Jokes aside...if shifting gears hurts your hands then you have totally out of line position of shifter or serious health issue - maybe you should invest AXS money to good doctor and physiotherapy.

All 12-speed Shimano drivetrains shift under load without any problem, mis-shifting is thing of past.

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 4:29 Quote
The big concern for me is hanging a $1K component off a low point on the bike. A buddy showed me that the AXS derailleur will absorb many impacts, so maybe SRAM thought of that.

Does anyone have actual experience with destroying an AXS derailleur and how tough they are compared to a traditional one? Once I get over the price it seems that everyone that has switched to electronic shifting in both the road, gravel, and MTB world all say they love how well it works.

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 4:36 Quote
Will1848 wrote:
The big concern for me is hanging a $1K component off a low point on the bike. A buddy showed me that the AXS derailleur will absorb many impacts, so maybe SRAM thought of that.

Does anyone have actual experience with destroying an AXS derailleur and how tough they are compared to a traditional one? Once I get over the price it seems that everyone that has switched to electronic shifting in both the road, gravel, and MTB world all say they love how well it works.

I haven't destroyed my AXS derailleur, but I did give it a very solid bash on a rock.....I was sure it was toast. Not a thing wrong.

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 7:37 Quote
onyxss wrote:
seraph wrote:

Jokes aside...if shifting gears hurts your hands then you have totally out of line position of shifter or serious health issue - maybe you should invest AXS money to good doctor and physiotherapy.

All 12-speed Shimano drivetrains shift under load without any problem, mis-shifting is thing of past.

Or I could just run AXS shifting because it’s the only system I can run that won’t hurt my hands. I’ve been a bike mechanic for 20 years and my hands are wrecked from decades of use and abuse. But thanks for making blind assumptions without knowing all the facts.

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 8:06 Quote
seraph wrote:
onyxss wrote:
seraph wrote:

Or I could just run AXS shifting because it’s the only system I can run that won’t hurt my hands. I’ve been a bike mechanic for 20 years and my hands are wrecked from decades of use and abuse. But thanks for making blind assumptions without knowing all the facts.
You are welcome - for good assumption - you have serious health issue as i predicted - and doctors and physio stuff can make wonders these days for wrecked parts of bodies. Even for the price of few AXSs. Good luck!
Over and out...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016523
Mobile Version of Website