Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 23:27 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
Twr wrote:
So, been looking to upgrade my Fuel EX8 XT M/L
with a Lyrik Ultimate 150 / SD Ultimate w/MegNeg and EX511 wheels and a Spire GX Alloy would be my choice. (Really love my XT grupset but don't like Fox)
So a couple of questions:

- What do you think about the Stans Flow S and Neo hubs? Cant find any recent reviews on those and are they as good as DT swiss EX1700?
- Size, im current on a M/L and it has a bit shorter reach than a Spire M, and i like the current setup i have (5/10 and 31,5") so i assume i would be good with a M?
- Does anybody know when they are delivering bikes with the new RS 2023 shocks?
I assume the delivery time is 6 months away so figure it will come with the new shocks.

The DT swiss wheels are way nicer. All my friends and I have had issues with the Neo hubs that came stock on our transition bikes. Like, need to replace the driver or entire wheel type issues. For my bigger friend they only lasted like a month. The Stan's mk3 and mk4 rims are nice, but the S1 wheels are pinned rather than welded and have riveted spoke holes, which are ugly and heavy. I'm interested to see how the new Stan's magnetic hubs work, but there's a good reason they swapped. The DT swiss on the other hand is arguably the nicest alloy wheels you can get, and hubs are very reliable.

I'm 5-10 as well and the medium fits me perfectly. So stable at speed but still able to whip around corners and off jumps.

Thanks for the info!
Its what i suspected, im 210lbs geared all up so better find a set of DT wheels or Hunt and replace them and sell the Stans as new.

Weird they come with these wheels, otherwise the GX is a nice build

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 7:04 Quote
I know people have said a LL tune is recommended for coils. Can someone enlighten me as to which of the two letters represents rebound tune and which is compression? Can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks!

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 7:07 Quote
chazmann wrote:
I know people have said a LL tune is recommended for coils. Can someone enlighten me as to which of the two letters represents rebound tune and which is compression? Can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks!

First letter is rebound and second is compression. I was told LNL, but I feel the compression dampening is a bit light and I’m only 160lb. Others have said MM is better, but real out depends on you.

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 7:29 Quote
kingch24 wrote:
chazmann wrote:

First letter is rebound and second is compression. I was told LNL, but I feel the compression dampening is a bit light and I’m only 160lb. Others have said MM is better, but real out depends on you.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I only weigh 145 - 150ish, and have a ML to throw on. Hopefully the rebound will have enough range to be as open as I'll need.

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
I have a L/L coil and I have to dial in the rebound pretty much so no worries that M/L will fit.

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 15:04 Quote
Does anyone have rotor clearance issues, this is a 180mm hope rotor?

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 17:18 Quote
dekone wrote:
I have a L/L coil and I have to dial in the rebound pretty much so no worries that M/L will fit.

Rad, good to know, thanks! What do you weigh?

Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 22:26 Quote
About 80 kilos ready to ride.

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 1:22 Quote
Cerealmike wrote:

My stock XT build came with 203mm rotors on so I don't think you will have a problem with 180mm ones.

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 9:14 Quote
Cerealmike wrote:

The GX build comes with 220s - so no.

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 9:24 Quote
ashlandmtb wrote:
Cerealmike wrote:

The GX build comes with 220s - so no.

not the first time I see issues with hope rotors.. perhaps some thickness of the floating part, or some offset there ?..this is not related to how big I think.. someone can try and report..have the dremel ready.. ; )

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 7:32 Quote
Anyone else having issues with your headset loosening every ride? I just got a new frame, after my first one was replaced under warranty, and at the end of every ride my headset is loose. I only got to ride the first frame a handful of times, but don't recall this being an issue.

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 8:05 Quote
mbm0103 wrote:
Anyone else having issues with your headset loosening every ride? I just got a new frame, after my first one was replaced under warranty, and at the end of every ride my headset is loose. I only got the ride the first frame a handful of times, but don't recall this being an issue.

I wouldn't say every ride but I've had to tighten mine 3 times this season. I know others have had similar issues and just ended up buying a higher quality headset (if you can find one in stock). Apparently the FSA isn't any good.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 8:15 Quote
cmini7117 wrote:
mbm0103 wrote:
Anyone else having issues with your headset loosening every ride? I just got a new frame, after my first one was replaced under warranty, and at the end of every ride my headset is loose. I only got the ride the first frame a handful of times, but don't recall this being an issue.

I wouldn't say every ride but I've had to tighten mine 3 times this season. I know others have had similar issues and just ended up buying a higher quality headset (if you can find one in stock). Apparently the FSA isn't any good.

Commencal sells a Cane Creek that is used on their Supreme DH bike, I'd buy that one and then just get the correct crown race for your fork.

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 8:25 Quote
No, not realy. No issues.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010519
Mobile Version of Website