Deviate Bikes

PB Forum :: Other
Deviate Bikes
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: May 15, 2023 at 7:16 Quote
Figured there might be some interest for this here. Topics covered: nerdy math about the rear end growth, issues w/ Zeb, weird drivetrain, gold parts, rabid raccoon interruption. Hit me up in the comment section.
[YT=https://youtu.be/0Xw2-MpSK0I]

[PI=24776249]
[/PI]

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2023 at 22:01 Quote
plinden1 wrote:
Hey guys. I’ve got a 2021 deviate highlander 140. The bike is fast on the downhills but I’m a bit disappointed with the small bump sensitivity ( I think because of linkage stiction?) and pedalling resistance (because of idler resistance). I see deviate has upgraded seal kits on their website and I have heard some people suggest removing the seal between the two bearings on the idler. I am wondering if anyone in this forum has made both of these changes and noticed substantial improvements, or if they are only marginal.
I want to love the frame, but the trail chatter on small bumps is really bad. I’ve played around a bunch with the cane creek kitsume, and regardless of sag, rebound and compression settings, the rear wheel bounces off the ground 3 times if you drop the rear end of the bike from waist height… not good.
I’ve considered investing in a float x2 which I’ve heard is an improvement on this frame, but I’d love some confirmation from other owners who have managed to make improvements to the linkage stiction and idler friction issues before I keep pouring money into this build vs going with another brand.

Thanks

I removed the idler seals and the outer seals on the bearings. That helped a lot.

Keeping all the pivots lubed will help the small bump sensitivity. A coil shock or good quality air shock helps. The cane creek I had worked very well.

Posted: Dec 31, 2023 at 20:33 Quote
Has anyone entertained the idea of putting a 180 mm dual crown on your claymore? I know deviate doesn’t recommend a dual crown, but don’t explicitly say why. Whether for axle to crown reasons or void warranty… there is a fairly gnarly dh race coming up, I cannot justify a full dh bike for one race as I will not make use of one after the fact. A dual crown is a questionable purchase as well but more palatable than a whole bike.

There are some insane deals on dorado expert forks in Canada, all the features of a pro minus the carbon tubes…

Posted: Jan 16, 2024 at 0:22 Quote
Why are there not more comments of Deviate here? I'm looking for a Claymore, generally they get great reviews, however, I'm more interested in the negative comments as the journos are usually "too" glowing in my opinion. I was going to get a HP Jekyll based on the tests but a lot of negative feedback from those that actually owned the bikes and had ridden them for months / years!!

Posted: Jan 16, 2024 at 7:30 Quote
Haven’t really had many negative experiences riding my claymore. If any really. Suspension performance is awesome, hands down coil is the way to go. I cannot feel any stiffening when heavy braking with a coil shock. Bike is well balanced, maybe a little harder to move around on the extremely tight sections or corners. But that could be my lack of skill as well. The bike pops when I want it to, jumps well, is stable enough to make me feel comfortable at speed and does perform better the harder I push it when up for a really hard day of charging.

I did read one comment from a guy from the vitalmtb comments section. He didn’t like how well sealed the pivot bearings were. Caused to much stiction for his taste. If you don’t ride in mud then I understand, but I get my bikes dirty and appreciate the increase in bearing life and cleanliness.

Posted: Jan 16, 2024 at 8:26 Quote
caboose wrote:
Haven’t really had many negative experiences riding my claymore. If any really. Suspension performance is awesome, hands down coil is the way to go. I cannot feel any stiffening when heavy braking with a coil shock. Bike is well balanced, maybe a little harder to move around on the extremely tight sections or corners. But that could be my lack of skill as well. The bike pops when I want it to, jumps well, is stable enough to make me feel comfortable at speed and does perform better the harder I push it when up for a really hard day of charging.

I did read one comment from a guy from the vitalmtb comments section. He didn’t like how well sealed the pivot bearings were. Caused to much stiction for his taste. If you don’t ride in mud then I understand, but I get my bikes dirty and appreciate the increase in bearing life and cleanliness.

Thanks for the answer. I did read that Deviate have done an update on the linkage to reduce stiction. I was vaguely hoping for some more negative comments as I have a brand new Nukeproof Mega RS that I'm thinking of stripping down to use the parts on the Claymore, but I'm in two mind :-/

Posted: Jan 16, 2024 at 11:24 Quote
I haven’t ridden the mega at all. I was on a pivot v1 Firebird 29 before. Claymore was different mostly because of the reach, chain stay length and seat angle. Suspension only felt different in comparison for the claymore when preloading the bike, say to pre hop a drop or something. Got used to it about 5 minutes later and now it doesn’t affect my riding at all.

I only miss the Firebird for really really tight corners, just cause of the 10 mm shorter stay but it’s only in those instances and I just try ti commit my lean in the turn more.

Posted: Jan 17, 2024 at 0:26 Quote
caboose wrote:
I haven’t ridden the mega at all. I was on a pivot v1 Firebird 29 before. Claymore was different mostly because of the reach, chain stay length and seat angle. Suspension only felt different in comparison for the claymore when preloading the bike, say to pre hop a drop or something. Got used to it about 5 minutes later and now it doesn’t affect my riding at all.

I only miss the Firebird for really really tight corners, just cause of the 10 mm shorter stay but it’s only in those instances and I just try ti commit my lean in the turn more.

I have a Kenevo SL in S4, that makes a large Claymore looks short :-) It isn't very playful either. You sort have covered my other worry - I had a Whyte G170 CRS 29 before the Mega, 339mm BB height, cornering was amazing on that bike, noticeably better than my previous 2021 Spesh Enduro S-Works for example.....wish I had kept the Whyte! A lot of the trails I ride corning is the majority of it, but for racing it does tend to be dominated by faster going......

Posted: Jan 29, 2024 at 9:27 Quote
So far pretty happy with my claymore

Deviate claymore

Posted: Jan 29, 2024 at 22:37 Quote
ammericano wrote:

Deviate claymore

Looks amazing.....what shock is that? What are the connections to the frame and rocker bit too? manual suggests "Shock Hardware Front: 40x8mm | Rear: bushing"

Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 11:54 Quote
JasenK wrote:
ammericano wrote:

Deviate claymore

Looks amazing.....what shock is that? What are the connections to the frame and rocker bit too? manual suggests "Shock Hardware Front: 40x8mm | Rear: bushing"

It is a cane creek DB Kitsuma coil, it was on sale on deviate. A great shock and easy to dial

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019564
Mobile Version of Website