Rim tape not sticking

• Previous Page
Posted: Feb 28, 2022 at 15:47 Quote
Anyone had issues with Stans rim tape not sticking to carbon rims?(Yes,rim was cleaned properly and tape was pulled tight)

Posted: Feb 28, 2022 at 15:57 Quote
Chuck it and grab a big roll of 1" Gorilla tape and never look back at that overpriced junk again.

Posted: Feb 28, 2022 at 16:17 Quote
Stan's tape sucks. That is all I have to contribute to this thread.

Posted: Feb 28, 2022 at 20:38 Quote
Gorilla tape is a short-sighted decision--you'll hate yourself when you remove it later.

Posted: Feb 28, 2022 at 20:40 Quote
aside from gorilla tape I've had the best luck with the muck off tape

Posted: Feb 28, 2022 at 21:23 Quote
barp wrote:
Gorilla tape is a short-sighted decision--you'll hate yourself when you remove it later.

You know that if any adhesive is left behind you can just put the new tape over it, right?

Posted: Mar 1, 2022 at 16:02 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
barp wrote:

You know that if any adhesive is left behind you can just put the new tape over it, right?

Also... remove it? That fails to compute.

Posted: Mar 1, 2022 at 18:53 Quote
Most adhesives will easily come of with Varsol in minutes.

Posted: Mar 1, 2022 at 19:53 Quote
Black gorilla tape leaves residue/adhesive
White gorilla tape leaves no residue/adhesive

Posted: Mar 1, 2022 at 20:07 Quote
Scotchbrite pad scuff up, wipe down, tape it, then let it sit with a tube installed for a day. Gorilla tape is a nightmare.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2022 at 20:09 Quote
Clean the rim with soapy water, gently scrub it with a scotch brite pad, then, warm up the rim by either leaving it in the sun for a few minutes, or using a blow dryer/heat gun. This does the trick for me, and the tape tends to stay adhered for longer. Good luck

Posted: Mar 2, 2022 at 2:36 Quote
Have you tried warming the rim / tape before applying it? I’ve used Tesa / WTB tape which is the same as Stan’s I think. It’s less sticky than the DT Swiss tape I’ve normally used but I’ve always got it to stick. I normally use a hairdryer to warm it up and do it in the house rather than a cold garage. I think the tip to put a tyre on with inner tube in could work to help stick it down but I’ve never had to resort to it. But then I’ve never had carbon rims - it’s always been alloy - used DT Swiss / wtb / Alex rims.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2022 at 6:51 Quote
youngandthriving wrote:
Scotchbrite pad scuff up, wipe down, tape it, then let it sit with a tube installed for a day. Gorilla tape is a nightmare.

This. I had endless trouble getting tape to stick with a brand new DT EX511 rim. I cleaned it with alcohol, acetone, brake cleaner, heated it, and it still wouldn't stick.

Finally I roughed the surface with 400 grit sandpaper, cleaned with alcohol, then warmed lightly with a heat gun and it stuck great.

Posted: Mar 2, 2022 at 7:19 Quote
Op is talking about CARBON rims. For posterity, DO NOT use abrasives on carbon rims!

You don't need the tape to stick to the rim extremely well, you need the tape to stick to the tape well where it overlaps, which most purposeful rim tape sucks at especially when disturbed by tire beads and levers pushing it around. Keep your thumb on the tape end to hold it still as you work your way around the rim with good tension, then overlap by at least 4".

Unless you have a habit of popping your tires off to show other riders your sick rim channel layup, leaving ugly adhesive behind, assuming you even need to ever retape is GOOD as that will help your next roll get purchase and stick even better (think tubs). Most of us set it and forget it for years/the life of the rim and never have to worry about this of course.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009050
Mobile Version of Website