Commencal Supreme V4 cracking issues

PB Forum :: Commencal
Commencal Supreme V4 cracking issues
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
Appealing for any information/experiences of anyone who might have had something like this happen. Over the past month 4 people I know who own a Commencal supreme have found cracks on their bike. 3 of these have been the 4.3 variants with one of them actually failing causing the bottom bracket assembly to snap completely off the bike. The last of the 4 bikes was a V4.4, this bike this bike cracked in the same place as the 2 other V4.3s. These bikes seem to all have failed around the bottom bracket, 3 of them having cracked in the exact same way. These 4 experiences, paired up with the fact that they have a history of doing this has left me questioning why there is such little documentation around.

Id be interested to hear if anyone else is having these issues. I'm particularly interested in the V4.3 and V4.4 variants of the supreme this should range from around 2017 to 2022. Cheers

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 11:00 Quote
Astonmtb on Instagram and YouTube has done quite a bit on this recently check his videos and posts out might be helpful

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 8:02 Quote
I have a 2020 Supreme 27 and found a hairline crack near the bb.

Edit: pulled off the rear fender and found a small crack on the seat-stay as well.

I emailed Commencal and let them know, being transparent that I bought this bike second hand. They were still willing to extend a 10% discount on a new frame. But since their new frames are mullet only and my bike is 27.5 front and rear, the cost to switch frames and fork and wheel are cost prohibitive. And all that for a 2 year warranty.

The new Trek Session frame in the other hand will accept my current wheels and all other components, and has a lifetime warranty.

Hmmm.

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 8:20 Quote
Mtbboy3 wrote:
Astonmtb on Instagram and YouTube has done quite a bit on this recently check his videos and posts out might be helpful

Here's the specific video. Seems to be somewhat common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X0s95RbZR0

FL
Posted: Jan 2, 2023 at 21:15 Quote
They are faulty frames. I'm going through two frames per season.

Failing at the seat tube/BB shell junction

FL
Posted: Feb 10, 2023 at 7:12 Quote
Wanted to put this out there as a word of caution - Commencal is sheisty when it comes to honouring their warranty policy. Don't beleive it until you see it!

Here's the story: I'm trying to navigate my second warranty claim this year with Commencal. The first one wasn't an issue. In fact, I'd say that they did a very good job. This second time, not so much...

The bike is a 2022 Supreme DH 29/27. In July, I noticed cracks developing around the bottom bracket shell. I went through the online warranty submission process and had a new frame in-hand 8 days later. Pretty darn good. Continued riding until mid November. When doing my pre-season bike maintenance last month, I checked the BB shell area where the previous cracks developed. Lo-and-behold the identical cracks had developed again in just a few months of riding. "OK, no big deal, let's just do warranty again" I say to myself.

This time, there's a problem though. Commencal has recently released the new v5 model and they do not have any available v4 frames in my size... I thought that it was pretty strange that they have no spares for a bike that they are still selling and still would theoretically come attached with a 2 year warranty? (Watch out folks considering buying a new v4... It might not come with warranty!)

Anyways, they offer me an "upgrade crash replacement" of $1,453 to move up to the new v5. Given that I'm still under full warranty, I don't really like the option to give them more money just to have a safe, functioning bike. We go back an forth some more, and I end up giving them 3 options to make me happy:
1) a v5 frameset free of charge
2) a v4 frameset free of charge, or
3) a refund for full retail price on a v4 frame

They get back to me and say that Option #1 is not possible, but that an appropriate frameset could be sourced from Commencal USA. They also tell me that they could give me a refund for full retail price on the frame. Given that I'd broken two of these frames in one season, I figured I'd cut my losses and take the refund option. Why replace with the same thing only to have it break again? Anyways we come to an agreement for Commencal to refund me $2,800. I give them my banking info and they tell me to expect a refund with 14 business days.

Meanwhile, knowing that refund is coming I go about looking for a new frame. I find a Trek Session in my size at my LBS and most of the old build kits transfers over. PERFECT. I buy the frame.

14 business days go by with no refund. So I follow-up. Apparently my refund went to the wrong department, so it hadn't been processed yet. "OK no big deal, I 'll just wait a couple more days. A couple days goes by and get a strange email from Commencal... Apparently my refund needs special approval from top management in Andorra.... "OK, getting a bit nervous"... Then the next day the email comes - Flat out saying that while they recognize that they offered a refund, that they no longer can honour that agreement. My only options are a replacement v4 frame or to pay for a v5 upgrade.

Now on paper might not sound so bad, but doesn't take into account that I was promised a refund and was planning on using that money towards the Session. Now I'm left holding the bag for $2800 on the frame... If a refund wasn't in the cards, I definitely would not have bought the Trek. Moral of the story, be super super leary of warranty dealings with Commencal. They'll ignore some rules, make up others, and back out of agreements... Good bikes, the staff were OK to deal with through this process, but overall just a shitty company to deal with. In hindsight, I jumped the gun buying the Trek without my refund dollars in hand, but it's a total bummer that Commencal re-negged on our agreement and left me standing out in the cold...

Anyways, I guess this just a really long way to say:

"Hey! Does anyone want to buy a brand new Supreme XL 29/27 frameset?"

Posted: Feb 10, 2023 at 10:02 Quote
yes they suck....I hope they get sued for selling such a shitty bike. I broke 2 myself

Posted: May 14, 2023 at 8:48 Quote
Hello, everyone maybe someone can guide me through I do have some noise on my supreme v5, I did replaced the original hardware from my rear shock, and I still have a clicking noise. Not sure where it’s come from looks like it’s somewhere between the rear shock in the middle of the bike. Maybe someone can give me some ideas.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010312
Mobile Version of Website