Older riders, but not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Older riders, but not "Old School"
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 17:40 Quote
crosscheck wrote:
whoadragon wrote:
Clipped in all the way!!! Mallets and mid line shoes fit me just perfect.
Does the cleat on your shoe interfere with your foot grip when you are on the flat side of the pedal? I tried riding a cleated shimano shoe on a pair of flats and it was terrible (the cleat would slid across the pedal surface). Maybe it was just a crappy shoe/pedal combination???

Yep. sketchy all the way. Mallets have the engagement in both sides. One of the guys I ride with has pedals with one side flat and the other side has clip in. Maybe that work for you?.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 17:42 Quote
hustler wrote:
crosscheck wrote:
whoadragon wrote:
Clipped in all the way!!! Mallets and mid line shoes fit me just perfect.
Does the cleat on your shoe interfere with your foot grip when you are on the flat side of the pedal? I tried riding a cleated shimano shoe on a pair of flats and it was terrible (the cleat would slid across the pedal surface). Maybe it was just a crappy shoe/pedal combination???

Ain't no flat side of Mallets that I've ever seen.

I find the Shimano DX clipless pedals let you unclip and ride OK, because of the sharp edges on the composite cages.
opps, sorry, I was thinking of these shimano pedals:
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/mountain/product.-code-PD-M324.-type-pd_mountain.html

Never mind...

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 17:46 Quote
davemud wrote:
t3h1337r wrote:
Why not just swap your pedals depending on what your riding. IE going to the park or having a fun ride drop the platforms on, if your going on a climbing mission, put the clips back on. Simple Big Grin

Takes 2 min with the park pedal wrench.

I dumped my clips long ago and won't go back.

Like I said, alot of my trail riding is done mid commute. As in on my way to work I detour up the mountain for a nice trail ride or I go on the way home. I do stop and drop my luch off at the trail exit but I'm not about to change my pedals.

Where I live you also have to climb at most areas to earn your downhills and I'm more concerned about climbing performance than descending performance. I don't do the big stunts and it isn't because of my pedals. I hate not claening a climb but don't care if I have to walk down a section I'm not comfortable on.

I live in Calgary and one my favourite ride is Baldy pass and for those who know it it's a 90 minute climb to start and there are about 5-6 steeps walls and I consistenly make those and most people i know with clipless pedals struggle in some areas. I believe you can go either way but if you start riding a good set of flats and a good pair of shoes you will be converted. Like everyone, i ride a pair of 5:10 shoes and a set of Block 8 flat pedals and i have found them to be perfect. Actually at first I found them too gripy but that lasted for about 2 weeks then I figured them out. The best place to start is on smaller rides or in pure DH applications were you will see the biggest difference. if you don't own a DH bike, at least get a pair of 5:10 (they are relatively cheap at MEC) so when you rent a DH rig you will realize how much more stable you can be by be able to rotate your feet when you corner. They will also help when you are riding stunts and being able to dump the bike fast!!!

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 17:51 Quote
I'm grinning because we, the old timers watching this thread, are chatting about pedals and shoes, and not 720s and NoFootCans. Tomorrow's topic will be health insurance.Radical.Cool

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 18:18 Quote
Alternate topic for the snow-bound areas tomorrow: Robaxacet.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 18:21 Quote
clkwrk wrote:
OG4LIFE wrote:
Still have my 1989 robinson pro series complete with...pause...pitbull brake! Great brake, but I prefer the foot in the tire method...saves weight.

N0ow thats old school . I to used to have one with powerlight bars/seat dk neck,redline flights ,pitbull brakes and bear cage peddels.

Mine has the powerlite bars, gt pro series cranks, a sweet uni seat, gt high flange(racelace) hubsSmile , and highly weather checked gt megabite tires. Not alot of components on those thingsSmile

By the way--NOOOO CLIP-INS. YIKES!

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 18:23 Quote
Health insurance is great, then again, when my back is killing me so is Robaxacet tup

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 18:46 Quote
shondo wrote:
I'm grinning because we, the old timers watching this thread, are chatting about pedals and shoes, and not 720s and NoFootCans. Tomorrow's topic will be health insurance.Radical.Cool
The day after tomorrow will be the discussion on Monster's new Prune flavored energy drink.

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 18:51 Quote
HAHAHA, High energy shits!!!!

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 18:54 Quote
saintjimmy wrote:
HAHAHA, High energy shits!!!!

No more falling asleep on the toilet for you!

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 20:37 Quote
My walker is going to be made from an Easton tubeset.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 20:43 Quote
shondo wrote:
My walker is going to be made from an Easton tubeset.
Don't forget the hope II rollers Shondo.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 22:40 Quote
OG4LIFE wrote:
clkwrk wrote:
OG4LIFE wrote:
Still have my 1989 robinson pro series complete with...pause...pitbull brake! Great brake, but I prefer the foot in the tire method...saves weight.

N0ow thats old school . I to used to have one with powerlight bars/seat dk neck,redline flights ,pitbull brakes and bear cage peddels.

Mine has the powerlite bars, gt pro series cranks, a sweet uni seat, gt high flange(racelace) hubsSmile , and highly weather checked gt megabite tires. Not alot of components on those thingsSmile

By the way--NOOOO CLIP-INS. YIKES!

Sounds just about stock from what I can remember.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 23:46 Quote
Hows this for a old school parts spec.
Easton frame stripped of its paint, drilled out XT thumb shifters, Kooka XC cranks, and brake levers, SPDs, XTR rear derailuer, Suntour micro drive rings. Tri dangle for my low pro cantis, Answer Taper lite bar with Scott bar ends, Syncros hard core post 425mm, Viscount Ti saddle, Smoke Lite and Dart tires, pink latex tubes, double butted spokes with alloy nipples radially laced, to Mavic ??? rims. Manitou 4 with Speed springs and NO DAMPENING.Lots of random drilling of parts that i thought were over built. Total weight for a large, 23lbs. Fast up and down, sort of.

That is what a wack load of paper deliveries and lawn mowing got me over the course of a few years in my younger days.

Posted: Dec 24, 2008 at 4:04 Quote
shondo wrote:

So true. Please no more funny stuff! I ate too much fiber today and may not be able to hold onto it during the fits of laughter! I've asked BRULE for our own section like the girls got.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.078655
Mobile Version of Website