Orange Clockwork Evo Comp 2020 650b with Strange hubs difficult to pedal

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Orange Clockwork Evo Comp 2020 650b with Strange hubs difficult to pedal
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 14, 2022 at 10:08 Quote
Q I noticed after digging out my Orange Clockwork Evo Comp 2020 650b with Strange hubs. it was noticeably difficult to pedal felt like the brakes were on at times? so changed BB Free Hub and rear wheel bearings...but still the same as before?

Any ideas apart from going to a bike shop

Posted: Nov 14, 2022 at 19:05 Quote
Well have you made sure the brakes aren't dragging?

Posted: Nov 14, 2022 at 21:53 Quote
When you dragged it out of storage did you try and find signs of excess resistance in the usual places, BB/cranks, front and rear hubs, brakes, etc. before you replaced all those items?

If not the first thing to do now is try to narrow down or find where the issue is coming from. If you can do that then pretty sure you could easily fix it yourself rather than taking it to a bike shop.

I had a Clockwork Evo with stock 'Kore' hubs before I upgraded the wheelset. Those Kore and very likely your Strange hubs are rebranded Formula hubs. Do remember the cartridge bearings on the rear hubs need proper pre-loading to take out play but not too much coz that can make the bearings bind and not roll well.

Posted: Nov 15, 2022 at 4:35 Quote
I checked the pads weren't dragging and then moved onto the BB wheel bearings etc
barp wrote:
Well have you made sure the brakes aren't dragging?

Posted: Nov 15, 2022 at 4:46 Quote
when I checked it over I suspected it might have been the brake pads dragging, and then moved onto the BB which probably was not long for changing. I tried riding it which I hoped would have cured the issue, but no diff so then I thought it was the bearings in the Free hub and rear wheel?

I believe the hubs are Hunt, branded as strange.The cranks seem to be spinning well and no sense of resistance, could it poss be the chain/alignment? really odd as with new bearings and a new free hub body I still got the same sensation of more you pedal it becomes more diff to pedal like the brakes are on?

Reaperactual wrote:
When you dragged it out of storage did you try and find signs of excess resistance in the usual places, BB/cranks, front and rear hubs, brakes, etc. before you replaced all those items?

If not the first thing to do now is try to narrow down or find where the issue is coming from. If you can do that then pretty sure you could easily fix it yourself rather than taking it to a bike shop.

I had a Clockwork Evo with stock 'Kore' hubs before I upgraded the wheelset. Those Kore and very likely your Strange hubs are rebranded Formula hubs. Do remember the cartridge bearings on the rear hubs need proper pre-loading to take out play but not too much coz that can make the bearings bind and not roll well.

Posted: Nov 15, 2022 at 7:46 Quote
Kore and Strange components I believe are all rebranded parts found mostly on Orange bikes. Rims were Kore branded but my hubs had no markings whatsoever. I had to look hard online and via a visual comparison to identify my hubs as Formula.

Even a bad chainline shouldn't have any noticable effect that causes resistance, just maybe noise, roughness, premature wear in the long term, etc.

I guess if I was in your situation I'd be going back and really look again at the hubs for decent free spin with no play or knocking, same again with the bb and cranks. I'll assume tyres are at your usual/prefered pressure.

Can't see how brake rub, other brake issues or even all of above at the same time would be that noticable on a ride.

Not really anything else to look at regarding this kind of excess resistance you're describing whether it's during a ride or on a workstand.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2022 at 8:00 Quote
Can't you do a process of elimination?

1. Remove the chain and spin the crank
2. spin the pedals on the crank
3. spin the cassette backwards
4. spin the rear wheel forward
5. spin the rear wheel backwards
6. spin the front wheel forward and backwards
7. spin the jockey wheels in the derailleur

Posted: Nov 15, 2022 at 9:39 Quote
Cheers Buddy and thanks to those that are also giving it some thought much appreciated.

Today I had another look and everything is clean and as you prob guessed the more you look you can't see the wood for the trees..so jokey wheels seem all good, as I mentioned new BB and bearings and free hub. I had another look at the BB which is a Sram Dub 73mm but now I thinking if have used the right spacers, as box had been opened when I bought it from the shop? Anyway clutching at straws now

One thing I did notice today when spinning the cranks without the chain there seemed to some noise but no real resistance. Although with the real wheel spinning backwards there seemed to some resistance but chain seemed ok.

One thing I did think chain length perhaps? Anyway when I ride the resistance builds up under load and is really noticeable, which is a first?

Reaperactual wrote:
Kore and Strange components I believe are all rebranded parts found mostly on Orange bikes. Rims were Kore branded but my hubs had no markings whatsoever. I had to look hard online and via a visual comparison to identify my hubs as Formula.

Even a bad chainline shouldn't have any noticable effect that causes resistance, just maybe noise, roughness, premature wear in the long term, etc.

I guess if I was in your situation I'd be going back and really look again at the hubs for decent free spin with no play or knocking, same again with the bb and cranks. I'll assume tyres are at your usual/prefered pressure.

Can't see how brake rub, other brake issues or even all of above at the same time would be that noticable on a ride.

Not really anything else to look at regarding this kind of excess resistance you're describing whether it's during a ride or on a workstand.

Posted: Nov 15, 2022 at 11:40 Quote
You say you changed your free hub, but did you check the bearings inside your wheel hub? Also, when you put the free hub body back on, did you put the free hub seal back on the correct way?

Have you check the front wheel bearings too?

Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 1:47 Quote
Next is a more accurate description of the resistance and when you feel it. You say 'resistance builds up under load' meaning just when you're on the bike and riding?

Also 'got the same sensation of more you pedal it becomes more diff to pedal like the brakes are on' meaning the faster you pedal, the harder you pedal, in all gears or certain gears or the faster you're travelling?

I doubt the last one and I'm sure you do know about wind resistance being higher the faster you go and its harder uphill than it is going down, etc....just saying...lol! lol

FL
Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 2:04 Quote
just a thought, could be brakes rubbing a bit, then getting hot an air/fluid expansion could be causing drag. So that's why you feel it when your under loadan not stationary??

take the wheels out spin the cranks, check jocky wheels, stiff chain links, hub axles an freewheel. even pedal axles, could be over tightened hub axles in both the hub itself or when mounted in the frame..

missing freehub spacer maybe? but, that would just lock up..

Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
Check your pullies as well.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008495
Mobile Version of Website