Best hardtail

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 16:55 Quote
I have a full suspension Santa Cruz Hightower, carbon but mostly stock.
I am looking into a hardtail as well to change things up.
I’ve been looking at the Santa Cruz chameleon or the specialized fuse. The Commencal meta has also caught my eye.
I’ve read a fair about each bike and all sounds pretty good but the commencal seems like it’s the best price. I’m mainly just going cross country riding

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 7:51 Quote
Best for what? Where? How hard do you ride? What's your budget? Preferred geometry?

This is again another thread asking "what's the best bike" without knowing how to point you in the right direction. Give us some more info, otherwise it's just naming a random bike.

The best hardtail is the blue one. There you go.

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 10:11 Quote
I live in New England, on the south shore. I ride a lot of single track with climbs as well some good descents.
I will hit jumps if their available and consider myself a hard rider. My budget is around $2500 and I’m not exactly sure about preferred geometry.

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 11:30 Quote
It sounds like the chameleon would be your best bet if it fits your budget. The meta might be too hardcore to be great for xc. The fuse 29 is also a nice bike.

Other comparables that come to mind are canyon stoic, trek roscoe (not the roscoe 6), or nukeproof scout 290.

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 12:02 Quote
zeeino wrote:
It sounds like the chameleon would be your best bet if it fits your budget. The meta might be too hardcore to be great for xc. The fuse 29 is also a nice bike.

Other comparables that come to mind are canyon stoic, trek roscoe (not the roscoe 6), or nukeproof scout 290.

Thank you for the input

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 14:44 Quote
Fuse if you are more into xc, Chameleon if you’re more into tech/speed stuff. (I’m in central CT and would pick the Chameleon all day every day)

Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 12:48 Quote
somebody-else wrote:
Fuse if you are more into xc, Chameleon if you’re more into tech/speed stuff. (I’m in central CT and would pick the Chameleon all day every day)

Ya I’m leaning that way and my local bike shop Carrie’s them

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 11:21 Quote
Just recently purchased a new hardtail, it is way ahead of the other hardtails, did a lot of research before purchase

Cannondale Scalpel HT

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 14:07 Quote
skennedy1011 wrote:
Just recently purchased a new hardtail, it is way ahead of the other hardtails, did a lot of research before purchase

Cannondale Scalpel HT

I haven't ridden one but from the geometry etc it looks good if you want an XC race hardtail to pedal and climb hills fast, probably not so good if you want something more fun and forgiving for rougher/more downhill focussed riding. The best bike for someone depends a lot on what they mostly use it for.

Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 17:26 Quote
My last hardball was a Radley from crc. Loved that bike steel or aluminum and in your price range too. I am a heavy rider 250+ and like jumps etc. You will be happy

Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 19:43 Quote
skennedy1011 wrote:

Cannondale Scalpel HT

That's a fantastic bike! The geometry is quite slack by XC standards.

Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 19:51 Quote
skennedy1011 wrote:
it is way ahead of the other hardtails, did a lot of research before purchase

Cannondale Scalpel HT

Care to explain? That's a bold claim.

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 4:09 Quote
I’m really leaning towards the fuse comp 29 don’t care for the fork or brakes but I can swap those.
I also found a used 2022 Kona honzo esd, it’s a lil more aggressive but a nice looking bike

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 13:00 Quote
i would ride that honzo esd.

love my honzo st with a 140mm, also love the chromag stylus if you want 27.5 low stack ripper; i have gone back and forth between these bikes for last 10 years.

a couple in my riding crew have the esd and it definitely has the more modern geo slack ready conquer the decent feel.

everyone I know with an earlier ST would over fork and slack it out, kona just made a version(esd) to match.

the steel honzo's come with sliders too! so if you want to one speed its a dope ride that way too.
either 32x20 for XC
or 32x15 for the down hill bombing sessions.

the pic of me to the left is me bombing on my ST single speed.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009975
Mobile Version of Website