To Ridewrap or Not To Ridewrap

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
To Ridewrap or Not To Ridewrap
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2023 at 10:23 Quote
That is the question. Will be getting a new Nomad soon and have heard Santa Cruz's paint is pretty durable, so am wondering whether it's worth applying ridewrap to the frame.

I can get it done at the shop so installation hassle not an issue, more a trade off of aesthetics (matte frame and I think it looks better w/out) to possible increase in resale value. Also have heard that it's possible to damage the paint when removing the wrap, but not sure how likely that is.

Anyway - opinions please!

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2023 at 11:37 Quote
Depends if and how much you're bothered by scratches. I have ridewrap on my carbon Hightower but nothing on my alloy Stumpjumper. Hightower still looks pristine while the stumpy looks like it's been through a woodchipper.

As far as removal, i've never had an issue. Just need a blow dryer and some patience.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 19:33 Quote
Rideweap before maiden voyage, every time.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2023 at 11:21 Quote
I like my bike looking crisp and nice. Got a new Nomad and it came out of the box and got a full wrap.

Posted: Mar 28, 2023 at 12:29 Quote
Are you the type of guy to buy an off-road vehicle and keep it spotless at all times? Do you plan to sell it soon-ish?

Posted: Mar 28, 2023 at 13:39 Quote
spatters wrote:
That is the question. Will be getting a new Nomad soon and have heard Santa Cruz's paint is pretty durable, so am wondering whether it's worth applying ridewrap to the frame.

I can get it done at the shop so installation hassle not an issue, more a trade off of aesthetics (matte frame and I think it looks better w/out) to possible increase in resale value. Also have heard that it's possible to damage the paint when removing the wrap, but not sure how likely that is.

Anyway - opinions please!

A more apt line of questioning would be if you get an off-road vehicle and put rock sliders on it, or a street bike and put sliders on it, or have a low car and put PPF on it, etc. Under $200 for tailored frame and fork protection is not a high price to pay given the amount of protection it gives the bike.

It's not just scratches, especially the newest iteration of the film will keep carbon frames safer from small rock strikes as well as minor crash damage. It definitely shrugs off what would otherwise scuff the frame or put a chip through the paint, and will be a sacrificial layer for deeper gouges that could be the start of damage to the frame, or at least something ugly that would give a buyer pause down the road. Keep in mind deep gouges, scratches in carbon will weaken it, and there goes your warranty if it breaks anywhere around that area. I've seen crashed bikes where a rock gouge will be across the bare frame and ride wrap, and the area under the wrap is fine while the frame has a pretty good scrape to it. Same with forks. On the tailored kits, you can buy individual pieces to replace damaged areas.

Other notes (and some negatives), I haven't had issues removing film, just use a heat gun. Have not noticed yellowing, cracking, or similar issues over 3+ years. On certain frames, there can be big gaps in the tailored coverage, or you have to trim to fit, so be prepared for that with a good-quality razor if you don't want it to look horrible (some of that could be user error, but some is certainly from the film not being able to conform to the area it is meant to). Also, if you don't have a ton of tire clearance, the inside of the rear triangle can get pretty roughed up and start disintegrating if you have a very muddy/rocky ride, you can put some 2228 tape around that area to get a quiet, sacrificial layer on top.
The wrap itself isn't magic, and if you're throwing it in the back of a truck, you'd want a shuttle guard on top to prevent that kind of wear and tear. If you have a frame with a ton of heel rub, or you live in an area with a lot of rock kickup to the downtube, you might want to put an extra layer of something, i.e. lizard skins or allmountainstyle protection on top. You also won't be able to use hook-type storage bike racks or hitch racks, or else the wrap will bubble and peel. The film is not as scratch-resistant as the more plasticky allmountainstyle ones, but it does look better and the tailored coverage is pretty complete.

For people not getting this installed, a complex, curvy frame with 20+ pieces of wrap is a pretty long afternoon to get done. If it's your first time and you struggle to get a screen protector on your phone, 4-6 hours probably isn't out of the ballpark to get a frame and fork done. For folks getting it installed, definitely get a price from the shop beforehand, since 3 hours of flat rate labor from a shop could get pricy.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2023 at 20:45 Quote
Definitely get it wrapped. And the matte RideWrap looks great on a matte frame.

Personally I won't do it myself anymore unless I absolutely have to. Too much of a pain...

Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 13:02 Quote
I have invisframed each of my new bikes over the last several years, 5 total. For my 2019 HTLT, I tore it down and did a refresh, replacing the wrap as a part of it, doing a deep clean to the porous matte finish. The Invisiframe peeled off easily with little residue with no heat and no harm to the frame. I found an issue during the tear down and the frame was warrantied. I was 3/4 done. Honestly, installing is not bad at all if you can have it completely apart and have a bike stand.

I wrapped a couple places that were not covered with the first round, that got scratched up, all within the rear triangle, near the front lower pivot point, where there is a pinch point to catch debris and rocks.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 20:31 Quote
Thanks for the feedback all! Sounds like minimal downsides to getting it wrapped.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010025
Mobile Version of Website