Worried about dirt/dust on new specialized status

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Worried about dirt/dust on new specialized status
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 2, 2023 at 23:33 Quote
Hello, so I just got a new specialize status. I am very anal about my bike and I am super worried about my bike rusting from the red dirt/dust we have up here. I know I’m over worrying. I wash my bike a lot and just rode today and it got dirty and I decided not to wash it today, do you guys think that is OK thank you

Posted: Jul 3, 2023 at 1:10 Quote
ryanmisakian wrote:
Hello, so I just got a new specialize status. I am very anal about my bike and I am super worried about my bike rusting from the red dirt/dust we have up here. I know I’m over worrying. I wash my bike a lot and just rode today and it got dirty and I decided not to wash it today, do you guys think that is OK thank you

Bikes don't rust from dirt. They rust from MOISTURE! Careful, and gentle cleaning, with the LEAST amount of water possible......it'll be fine.
Also, bikes don't care if they have dirt on them. Not sure how that became a thing, but the idea that you need to have a 'clean' bike is pure insanity. Mechanical bits don't care.

Proof? Quit washing the f-ing thing, and ride it. Give the ol' gal a squirt of goop every month, and you'll be fine. Rocket appliances.....I think not.

Posted: Jul 3, 2023 at 8:25 Quote
Its the abrasive mud, sand, dust mites that get between your cable housing, brake hose and frame,
then knaw away leaving nice channel grooves in your frame : )

Posted: Jul 3, 2023 at 9:41 Quote
In 2 years, i washed my Marin once due to all the grime and crap building up. Otherwise i ride it and clean when needed.

Posted: Jul 3, 2023 at 12:45 Quote
dood wrote:
ryanmisakian wrote:

Bikes don't rust from dirt. They rust from MOISTURE! Careful, and gentle cleaning, with the LEAST amount of water possible......it'll be fine.
Also, bikes don't care if they have dirt on them. Not sure how that became a thing, but the idea that you need to have a 'clean' bike is pure insanity. Mechanical bits don't care.

Proof? Quit washing the f-ing thing, and ride it. Give the ol' gal a squirt of goop every month, and you'll be fine. Rocket appliances.....I think not.

Thanks sounds good

Posted: Jul 3, 2023 at 12:45 Quote
fstws36 wrote:
In 2 years, i washed my Marin once due to all the grime and crap building up. Otherwise i ride it and clean when needed.

2 years! That’s crazy

Posted: Jul 3, 2023 at 12:46 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
Its the abrasive mud, sand, dust mites that get between your cable housing, brake hose and frame,
then knaw away leaving nice channel grooves in your frame : )

What are dust mites?

Posted: Jul 3, 2023 at 21:03 Quote
Washing it is doing more damage than the dust. Feather dust it, the water will not do your bearings any favors. "Sealed" is a not literal when it comes to bearings.

Aluminum doesn't rust

Steel does, not a lot of steel on that bike aside from a few bolts and the chain.

Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 3:33 Quote
My bikes get washed clean if and when I sell them. Other than that a hosing off with a gentle spray to get loose mud off is all they get to keep the garage floor clean.

Not that its a problem round here but bonus is if they look grotty theyre less likely to get nicked.

FL
Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 5:07 Quote
dirty bikes are faster because science

Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 12:32 Quote
It just depends, dry zones you can get away with it, wet muddy shitty parts you can either
choose to leave it or wash it, your own choice how you go about it.

Me personally if its a gloopy wet mud fest and dog shit affair then its the power washer, hot summer days its months
just left as is with a wipe over the stanchions and rotors from time to time, plus my bikes get wheeled into my house.

Do what you feel works for you, you will soon learn the pros and cons and adapt

Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 13:02 Quote
If you keep your bike clean the parts last longer so you spend less time doing maintenance and more time riding. For me, it works to clean after every ride, even if its just five minutes to wipe the drivetrain of dust, apply lube, wipe the stanchions. Try and use as little water as possible.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008882
Mobile Version of Website