Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Author Message
Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 22:20 Quote
husstler wrote:
Tried out Husky tonight, it's pretty far from ready. The road might be passable but even the bottom of Shoulda looked like a disaster. Looks like a few cm of fresh snow last night or this morning? I rode back down the road after climbing for a bit.

Maybe the next few days will help.

What were you riding? It's been pretty decent on a fat bike for the last several weeks. Bottom of Loamzilla is a mess but the trails themselves have been pretty good.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 6:09 Quote
shlotch wrote:
husstler wrote:
Tried out Husky tonight, it's pretty far from ready. The road might be passable but even the bottom of Shoulda looked like a disaster. Looks like a few cm of fresh snow last night or this morning? I rode back down the road after climbing for a bit.

Maybe the next few days will help.

What were you riding? It's been pretty decent on a fat bike for the last several weeks. Bottom of Loamzilla is a mess but the trails themselves have been pretty good.

Plus bike with studs, though my buddy on 4" fat tires wasn't much better off. I might have been undergunned but even he thought we might be better waiting a bit.

I saw one set of fat tracks headed up and was hopeful - the next few days might set what's there a little more.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 6:56 Quote
husstler wrote:
shlotch wrote:
husstler wrote:
Tried out Husky tonight, it's pretty far from ready. The road might be passable but even the bottom of Shoulda looked like a disaster. Looks like a few cm of fresh snow last night or this morning? I rode back down the road after climbing for a bit.

Maybe the next few days will help.

What were you riding? It's been pretty decent on a fat bike for the last several weeks. Bottom of Loamzilla is a mess but the trails themselves have been pretty good.

Plus bike with studs, though my buddy on 4" fat tires wasn't much better off. I might have been undergunned but even he thought we might be better waiting a bit.

I saw one set of fat tracks headed up and was hopeful - the next few days might set what's there a little more.
Fish Creek for the win!

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 8:00 Quote
Rode a sulfur/moose road/7-27 lap last night. Sugary snow up higher made for tough climbing on the steeper sections of sulfur, the top of 7-27 suffered from the same sugary snow - where there was fall line you didn't have any issues but anywhere where it flattened out or you had to climb you ended up getting off to push. Bottom of 7-27 in the trees was fantastic though.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
12 Mile was great a few mornings ago. Paskapoo generally very good for skinnies earlier this morning on most trails, although a couple of segments were still only soft packed. Quickly softening in the sun by noon though, so timing is everything. Once it cools off and things really firm up- Paskapoo should be superb. Whilst skiing yesterday at WBC- all of the "bike" trails that I crossed looked very well consolidated.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
12 Mile update. Hit the trails for two quick laps before 9 this morning to catch the frozen side of the melt/freeze cycle. A couple of mud patches were already in transition, but otherwise conditions on roughly half the trails were solid, icy, and often featuring frozen slush made bumpy by foot traffic. The remainder were packed dry snow.

Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 12:20 Quote
Excellent riding on studded skinnies, this morning in Paskapoo! Fast grippy conditions on hardpacked frozen snow that was glazed or crunchy. A few ice patches of little concern. Getting warm on exposed trails by 11:30 though...

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 8:34 Quote
So since everything is shutting down these days and free time is on the up and up. Any updates on where one could drive too in BC to find some snow free trails? I got a new bike just itching to get out. Kamloops? Kelowna?

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 8:56 Quote
hizzity wrote:
So since everything is shutting down these days and free time is on the up and up. Any updates on where one could drive too in BC to find some snow free trails? I got a new bike just itching to get out. Kamloops? Kelowna?

The Coast will be your best bet! Shred on!

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 6:30 Quote
Definitely coastal!

Our life made the front page this morning with a splash of Alberta in there too Redface

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/photo-story-stunning-images-in-unsettling-going-full-nomad.html

Slab City - Photo Jacob Johnson mysticmountainadventures

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 6:32 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
Definitely coastal!

Our life made the front page this morning with a splash of Alberta in there too Redface

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/photo-story-stunning-images-in-unsettling-going-full-nomad.html

Slab City - Photo Jacob Johnson mysticmountainadventures

I like the “Littlest Hobo” theme song quote at the end.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 at 6:33 Quote
Might be lost on the younger generation... but littlelest hobo is a heartstring tugger for sure Beer

Posted: Mar 18, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
Very nice Jake! We have friends who did just that in the desert southwest for 6 years. They are now "re-settled" but have no regrets either way. Good luck! Jealous even though I'm not sure doing that full time is for me, as
our plans HAD been to leave in April for a few weeks of camping, biking and hiking in southern Utah-Northern Arizona, our second favourite place in the world. Pretty sure that's not happening now- I can't see the situation improving for months. Coastal holiday for us I guess- unless they shut the BC border!

Posted: Mar 19, 2020 at 22:20 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Very nice Jake! We have friends who did just that in the desert southwest for 6 years. They are now "re-settled" but have no regrets either way. Good luck! Jealous even though I'm not sure doing that full time is for me, as
our plans HAD been to leave in April for a few weeks of camping, biking and hiking in southern Utah-Northern Arizona, our second favourite place in the world. Pretty sure that's not happening now- I can't see the situation improving for months. Coastal holiday for us I guess- unless they shut the BC border!

Thanks Steve... just rolled back into Canada as Moab and surrounding counties shut down to all non-essential visitors... we thought about trying to find other places in the states to go but it was all unraveling too fast.

Posted: Mar 21, 2020 at 10:37 Quote

If you are thinking of road tripping to small town BC to get your 2 wheel fix, you probably shouldn’t.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009977
Mobile Version of Website